Leaking soft top audi TT.sorry I know it's not an MX5

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Leaking soft top audi TT.sorry I know it's not an MX5

Postby The Pram » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi folk. My friend has an audi TT 2007. Rather than take my MX5 yesterday we took her TT. There was water doing into my feet in the passenger footwell. It only really did our when we were cornering. I had a feel and where the day meets the floor I could get my hands under the trim and this was where the water was coming from. I have no idea if soft top TTs have drain holes like the mazda but we had no idea where the water was coming from. Is it likely to be the engine bay that has sprung a leak or something else? I'd really appreciate your help and useful suggestions.
P.S don't hate me for being in a TT instead of my 5!
Thanks
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Re: Leaking soft top audi TT.sorry I know it's not an MX5

Postby Enjay » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:31 pm

This thread looks as if it might be relevant: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... T-Roadster

(And, yes, it seems like a drain blockage is likely.)
Enjay

Postby The Pram » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:00 pm

Cheers Enjay. That's what I was thinking.
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby bmv6197 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Good luck with the leak search - my father-in-law had a current shape TT convertible and it went back to Audi about 6 times to sort a leaky soft top. They replaced the windscreen, almost every trim panel, seals, readjusted the roof, and it just kept leaking. They had to keep replacing the carpet and sound proofing too. In the end they advised him not to park it outside and said it was pine needles blocking drains (because obviously they’re not engineered to be left outside!). In the end he forced them to buy it back, as it had spent something like 5 months back at Audi in one year, and he’d only covered 1600 miles in it!

I told him to buy an MX5 but he said they were “too girly”. So I made a point of popping by on sunny days with my roof down while he had a diesel A4 estate loan car, to remind him whose convertible was proving more enjoyable :-)

In short though, TTs apparently have a reputation for roof leaks being hard to sort, so your friend might want to bear that in mind for the longer term.

Cheers,
B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Return to Technical