Mk1 1600 thermostat housing leak

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Mk1 1600 thermostat housing leak

Postby georgefromdevon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Noticed that my little na6 had no coolant in so filled it back up but also noticed that it's leaking at an alarming rate at the t junction, looks very badly corroded.
Anyway I looked online and the housing is about 70-80 and it's a nightmare to change apparently so I was thinking about pulling the steel tubing from the aluminium housing drilling and taping an m8 hole and screwing a double banjo bolt in instead
Anyone else tried this fix for a very common problem

Cheers George
georgefromdevon

Re: Mk1 1600 thermostat housing leak

Postby drumtochty » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 pm

georgefromdevon wrote:Noticed that my little na6 had no coolant in so filled it back up but also noticed that it's leaking at an alarming rate at the t junction, looks very badly corroded.
Anyway I looked online and the housing is about 70-80 and it's a nightmare to change apparently so I was thinking about pulling the steel tubing from the aluminium housing drilling and taping an m8 hole and screwing a double banjo bolt in instead
Anyone else tried this fix for a very common problem

Cheers George

"I looked online and the housing is about 70-80", yes that is about right and you have to change the "O" ring and if you use a cheap one that is too fat you can crack the fitting so get a new one.

It's a nightmare to change apparently, explain why it is "nightmair".

No I bit the bullet and bought a new component. I will have a look tommorow and see if that seems a runner.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical