Advice please

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Advice please

Postby martin1962 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:21 pm

Hi all

Well I have been thinking of buying a "weekend" car for a while now and keep thinking of a MX-5.
I,ve always had italian cars up to know and was looking for a bit of advice as to what I sould be looking for when buying one secondhand.
I am looking at spending up to 4K but the problem I have is I live up in the Highlands near Inverness so I know I will have to spend a few days travelling about viewing and it would be good to know if there are any things I should be looking out for. Are there any websites which might help as well.
I am just in the process of having a new double garage built so I can spend the winter giving it some TLC if it needs it.
Hope you can help

Martin martinpawsey@hotmail.com
martin1962

Postby Fee » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:42 pm

Hi, welcome.
I can't give you much advice, but there is someone selling a California on the For Sale section of this site. Have a look at that if you haven't already, sounds like it's really well looked after. And I think it's in Glasgow.

Fi
Fee

Postby Fee » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:44 pm

Just read it again, it's a bit over your budget, but maybe worth a thought anyway.
Fi
Fee

Postby boydie » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:00 pm

Hi martin,
there is a site which you can download a guide from- www.sportscarguides.com
sorry but i don't know if it's any good or how much it will cost.
There are some dodgy 5's out there so maybe this guide will help you to spot them.
boydie

Postby mike9jr » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:08 pm

Hi Martin,

I'm in Ellon, north west of Aberdeen. My wee baby is for sale, (although I'm not absolutely sure about that yet!?!) Its the red 5 in the For Sale section at the moment.

You kinda get attatched to these things. We bought my 91 mx5 as an experiment to see how we'd get on with a 2 seater and fell in love with the thing to such an extent that we now want to make a newer 5 our main car and get a wee runaround for the winter, and for when we need more than 2 seats. (Still got a 14 year old son). At least, thats plan A.

Even if you dont fancy the car, I'd be more than happy to let you have a good look round it and point out the points to look for, and answer any questions that I can.

Feel free to message me, or ring 0780 1570 036. I'm around till Sunday night, decorating, so any distraction would be GREATLY appreciated

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby Greg & Nic » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:10 pm

Hi Martin, we were in the same boat as you till just recently. (We pick up our Roadster this Saturday). If I could give you any advice it would be to be patient! I've been in the motor industry since leaving school and in this time I've learned how to tell what's a good car and one that aint. Unfortunately, some sellers don't have realistic views of the cars they are trying to shift. We had a wee bit less to spend (?3500 max) and decided that we wouldn't buy until we were 100% sure the car was the "right one".
I looked at about twelve cars before buying, which might seem fussy, but let me assure you that there are MX5''s and Roadsters out there that have been lovingly looked after and cherished....and worth waiting for. If you're not mechanically minded, or if you wouldn't know how to check if a car has been repainted etc I would suggest taking an experienced mechanic with you. Buying an MX5 is no different to buying any car really.....it's a minefield unfortunately. An honest seller with nothing to hide will happily show you service books, old MOT's, reciepts and invoices relating to the car. An honest seller will actually point out any faults as he won't want you back at his door if you buy the car.
Like I said, take your time and you'll find the right car. If you're gut feeling says walk away.....then walk away.
Remember there is a proven medical condition called "Shiny Car Syndrome".....if you get infected you'll buy the first glittering little beastie you come accross.....BE PATIENT :wink:
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

thanks

Postby martin1962 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:33 pm

Thanks for the advice all......I am willing to wait for the right one as I have all winter to get one but want to start looking now...

Cheers again..

Mike I will be in contact..

Martin
martin1962

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:41 pm

I'm not sure if your ready for an MX-5, if you are used to Italian cars you will probably be disappointed, just think, an MX-5 starts first time, doesn't go rusty every time you wash it, very reliable.

You will have lots more spare time to fill, not get your hands dirty fixing it.

Are you sure you are ready for this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come down to Callandar for the weekend car show at the end of August, we will have our own stand and (weather permitting) have quite a few members there.
Last edited by Phil on Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby DouglasH » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:15 pm

Welcome Martin..you can be sure of plenty advice here, no doubt you will have hundreds of questions to ask, as Phil suggested going to one of our events where you can see different cars in the flesh and ask all the questions, could be beneficial to you.

If you get a chance, speak to Hardtrack, (aka Jim) very few people are as patient as Jim was, when searching for his car, he spent some amount of time and hundreds of miles up and down the M6, in the end it payed off he bought a cracking, well looked after car, with plenty of mods.

Hope to see you soon.
DouglasH

Postby Si » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:59 pm

I bought the first MX-5 that I saw and don't regret it for a second. Doing it again though I'd be a bit more wary. Just after I bought the car, I found the excellent Fizzindi archive maintained by one of our own area co-ordinators.

http://www.fizzindi.demon.co.uk

It's an absolute gold-mine when it comes to MX-5 ownership and would definately give you a good idea what to look out for.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby inddigo » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:34 am

We bought ours about 6 weeks ago or so and it was the 3rd one we saw, second best thing i ever did ( the first being marrying Jo :) )

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Return to General Chat