The start of a long journey.... "Project Tony"!

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Re: The start of a long journey.... "Project Tony"!

Postby mgrays » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:24 pm

For Grills.

1. Fit speaker to steel frame of door. Make sure you close up as many holes as possible so that it is in as sealed enclosure as you can.. obviously the glass leaves a big slot at the top but at least a complete plastic membrane if nothing else. I made an MDF ring in the end to get a flat surface but without creating any more forward projection... check your windows can still work as really big speaker magnets can get in the way?

2. Remove stainless panel

3. Remove Mazda grill which is 50% steel so not really a grill.. more like a cage to stop the speakers working!

4. Offer up the door card and trim to 2-3mm clear of diameter of outside of the speaker suspension rubber ring. Restick the vinyl through the hole to make it pretty...consider point 6 and making them the right ID to hold the grills

5. Take your new speakers covers and pull them apart to get the steel grill part out.. usually just gooped together with glue or squashed plastic in a few places so you can always rebuild

6. look at the suspension movement of the speaker cone at max deflection - this will drive how far forward you need to put the grills. In my case the grills were not flat but had a small rim bent into them to locate in the original plastic frame. I used this bent rim as a spacer to locate into the door card yet not push through it I think (it was 7-8 years ago!!)

7. Use the stainless trim to trap the grills onto the door card - may need a dap of Goop/glue etc to hold them but I managed to get plenty of tension just with the rim in the grills and the stainless/card clearance.

Any clearer?
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby BestGear » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for taking the time to document that approach.

It will be the weekend before I get a chance to do it, but will take some pictures for future reference!

I can see this working out just great with the FLI's I have.

Thanks for your advice.

David
BestGear

Postby BestGear » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Ok, nearly done with the door speakers!

I have a bit of a dilema tonight however...should I leave the grills black, or, paint them silver?

I have retrimmed the door card to clear the speaker, and that is giving me enough clearance so that the plastic frame carrying the original grill will not foul the cone. I did remove the grill bracing however.... so will need to be careful I dont kick the grill!

The original grill was staring to rust.. not looking good, hence might as well paint it to smarten it up..so, black or silver?

Thinking it may be black, just to keep that OEM look, however, silver would look quite nice methinks.

David
BestGear

Postby poing » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:39 am

Stick to black would be my vote. :)

It's so interesting seeing these projects take shape 8)
poing

Postby BestGear » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:59 am

poing wrote:Stick to black would be my vote. :)

It's so interesting seeing these projects take shape 8)

Yip - thats what I woke up this morning thinking!

David
BestGear

Postby BestGear » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Well..some progress today... before the rain made a late appearance!

I sprayed up the speaker grills...gloss black... as I did not have any matt or satin left! They look fine - I have only got the passenger door back together as I am waiting for a new driver door lock as the existing one is broken... I can never understand car owners that when something breaks, they dont fix it... and they end up wondering why when they sell, they get a lousy price! I forgot to take a finished picture, as it was raining so will add one soon.

Anyway - original passenger door speaker was a mess... much like drivers one was...except no water!

Although you cannot see, I reused the original Mazda speaker splash guards... a fairly easy fix... only used the main guard and removed the outside lip so that it would spring slighly to match the radius of the new, bigger speaker. The rest of the speaker was padded out too, so it did not twist the speaker chassis when mounted up tightly. So, nice and sealed and dynamat on the inside... sounds very much improved over the old speakers.... not bad for £22 speakers!

New FLI Integrator 6's installed and sealed to the door.. they are a very good fit, and attached using new screwholes. The mid/tweeter stand proud of the door, so you need to make sure that there is clearance to the grill or it will rattle!

You may remember that I was asking if I should have boot springs on my car? Well... I had kinda satisfied myself that this car had a gas ram, and that it did not need springs too. Anyway, closer inspection of the car showed witness marks where spirngs had been fitted before - two of them... so, question...should the car have had a gas ram too, or was that an accessory fitted by a former owner? Anyway.. fitted one spring, and now the boot opens rapidly and is damped as you would like it by the ram..

This now leads to the next item on the agenda!

I have not retro fitted locking to a car for many, many years, and the 5 boot release was an easy 5 min job! Same for routing wire through to the cabin...easy... I did try and find information on the Cobra alarm that the car came with...to no avail. So its getting removed and I have ordered a new alarm which will have door and boot release and window closers.... If you ever fit one of these motors, please ensure that the motor is pushing along its axis and make sure that the motor does not move or twist in its mounts when activated... if it does, it will get noisy and not last the test of time. The Cobra had been wired to the aftermarket door motors, so I will just pick them up uunder the dash... saves me a pain of a job fishing wires in from the doors!

With the remote boot release and the new spring, the boot now opens up rapidly when the door motor releases it... nice.

Out of interest, the pair of springs I picked up are handed.. and the loop at the end of each spring is different, so be aware if you ever swap them. I now have a spare spring as the boot really does not need two springs to open it.

Fog lamp... pretty much a leave till last job...but it bugs me! The way the red lens has weathered makes the rear look crap... mind you, who in their right mind decided to fit them where they are as standard.. duh...

New fog lamp is ordered... so its a next weekend fit...

The exhaust tailpipe is also lousy, and the rest of the exhaust system is very new.. so I think a stainless tailpipe will be on the cards... smarten it up. I dont want a loud system to join the Max Power guys,... quiet and quick... well.. not really quick.. not quick at all infact... :lol:

Next up, was the exhaust rattle at startup... nice and easyt fit.. replace the nearside rear box mounting rubber... here is where it was hitting...

With the new rubber in place, its nice and quiet...

What else..? Well, rain stopped play... I have the nose cone all unbolted bar the top ones to the wing... and what a job that was.. not difficult, just dissapointing that Mazda chose to use such poor quality fastners that have rusted to excess! Most of the 10mm bolts down below sheared off even after big WD40 time, so that will be a wee job to fix things... and the "wing" bolts are a challenge too...very poor space AND siezed.. duh... I knew I should have bought a German car :oops: Once its off, I have a few paint repairs to do on the nose and also get the front wings painted in the corners. I suppose I could have done them insitu, but that would have been a lazy way.. and invited the rust back next year!

One dissapointment when the car was on the ramp was the state of the washer bottle cradle... most shi**y Mazda metal... must have been the same dipshit that specced up the numberplate lamp brackets! - picture to follow, once the nose is off!

Anyway - off for some beer...

David
BestGear

Postby sarahlc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Nice work :D , particularly like the boot release motor, might try to get one myself at some point, the guy that fitted my alarm said that it had an aux output and they would tell me where to find it should I ever want to hook one up.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BestGear » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Ok...the original list of tasks on this motah... has got shorter, only just!

The original list...

Replace aerial mast DONE!
Replace crappy JVC stereo
Replace door speakers DONE!
Fit plastic door cover and sealant (behind door cards - some divvy removed it when they fitted the crappy speakers...duh...) DONE!
Sort or replace alarm - its a Cobra 5802 - if anyone has a wiring diagram for it, a copy would be most welcome! (Cobra were Zero help....)
Repair surface rust to front wings at usual bumper corners
Repair rear end of sills - both sides
Get nicer wheels - it has OEM 14" - will go with 15" of some description, OEM preferrably and quite fancying Phoenix/Arizona type DONE!
Remove rabbit teeth...
Fabricate stainless mesh grill - think it will look good with black...
Spray side reflectors body colour... DONE!
Replace seats - drivers seat saggy and bolster worn - I have had a pair kindly donated by Stuart#64 - THANKS! DONE!
Fix rear number plate lamps - appears rusted inside... heaven knows why...DONE!
Remove carpets and pressure wash them - they are in dire need of a freshen up plus it will remove that nasty damp smell... (no mushrooms, thankfully) DONE!
After paint repairs (or perhaps before to cheer me up!) cleanse and correct paintwork to get back the shine and get some max on there (perhaps not before paint, obviously!)
Service brakes all round - strip and check all are free and correctly lubricated and seals are all intact.
Change timing belt
Change plugs and oil/filter
De-tango front indicator/side lights DONE!
Remove boot mounted rack - think it spoils the look... DONE!
Remove cone airfilter or perhaps fabricate ducting and heat shield (long "white" cone with what appears stainless gause - not sure of make)
Fix boot lid - wont stay up! DONE!
Change brake and clutch fluid
Check/refit rear exhaust box - it hits the body at startup - expect poorly fitted as its not an old box. DONE!

And... a few missed the first time around...

Change engine coolant DONE!
Fix water leaks in cabin
Aquire or construct washer bottle bracket.
Fit louder horns.. replacing the feeble "beep"....
Waxoyl behind front bumper
Waxoyl under all wings and liners
Replace NSR shock rubber gaiter
Fit exhaust trim
Replace scruffy rear fog lamp
Fit boot remote release motor DONE!
Fit winder closer to alarm

So...thats it .. I am sure this will become never ending...

David
BestGear

Postby BestGear » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:19 pm

sarahlc wrote:Nice work :D , particularly like the boot release motor, might try to get one myself at some point, the guy that fitted my alarm said that it had an aux output and they would tell me where to find it should I ever want to hook one up.

Hi Sarah

I think its worth doing... and so easy... even easier as you have the output. You may need to add a relay, as the aux outputs are often only 250mA or so.

Just about every new car has this now and I really miss it on the 5.. so had to get it sorted!

David
BestGear

Postby BestGear » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Sarah - meant to ask... how is your washer bottle frame?

I think all ABS equipped cars have the bottle under the NSF wing.... is that where yours is?

David
BestGear

Postby sarahlc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:31 pm

My car does not have ABS so its mounted on bulk head on the passenger side.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BestGear » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:35 pm

sarahlc wrote:My car does not have ABS so its mounted on bulk head on the passenger side.

Oh well...at least that is one job less to do! :D

David
BestGear

Postby BestGear » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:40 am

Hi

I mentioned briefly that I had the bolts up between the nose cone and wing to remove... and they were seized... anyone have any tips for their safe removal before I go in there with "the works"?

David
BestGear

Postby bmv6197 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:07 pm

David,

It sounds like you are doing the same work behind the front bumper that I did on mine last spring. I spent days soaking bolts with WD40, but still had a few shear off (including one of the wing-bumper bolts on each side!) - end result was a new bracket for each side, which I was going to have to do anyway as it was no point using the old knackered ones for reassembly if I ever wanted to take the bumper off again. Same with the washer bottle holder - it dissolved before my eyes! Others are more resouceful but my impatience got the better of me, so: lots of new bolts, a few new brackets, and a whole lot more protection than Mazda ever put in there, and hopefully it'll last longer than before! We are driving cars from the mid 90s though, and much as I wish they would, nothing lasts forever!

Also, I do have the same cobra alarm as you, and I've hunted through all my paperwork but no wiring diagram I'm afraid. However why not try your local alarm shop? Folks on this forum steered me to Checkpoint in Aberdeen, and provided you have the model number, they were very helpful.

Cheers,
Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby BestGear » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi Brad

Thanks for the reply!

I know Checkpoint, and as luck would have it, I am up in ABZ next week. Are they still up at Rosemount Viaduct (think that is where they were the last time I was there!). If I get the wiring diagram, I will send you a copy for reference. I was surprised not to find it online as Mazda (well, their channel) do/did seem to fit these make as standard for a number of years across their model range.

Yes, same job as you by the sound of it... I am just replacing all fastners with stainless ones, and making up new locating brackets etc for the wing/nose location. I did wonder about laying some silicon in that gap too, as it holds moisture and offers rust a start in there.

What did you do with the ones along the bottom of the cone? I cannot see yet what the "nut" is attacked to in the plastic... I am sure I will once its off.

What gets me..ok, they are getting old...but why are some components made of such crappy materials? Some fastners are fine... others are toffee... things like that bottle bracket... I just know when I touch it, it will dissintegrate to dust... and again, I bet the fastners into the inner wing will shear... oh..more joy. I wonder if the Eunos, being the "master" was the reference, and the changes tfor the Uk market were just afterthoughts that did not gain much consideration...witness rear number plate brackets and washer cradle.. which the Eunos does not have (as I see it..).

Were there any other shocks waaiting for you once the nose was removed!?!?

Once I get it sorted, wings painted, new horns fitted and a grill in there, I will give it a serious Waxoil so the next few years should be kinder to the old skate.

David
Last edited by BestGear on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BestGear

Postby wonkey donkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Been a couple of years but they were on george street

for an auto electrian i would recommend Taylors on the Lang Stracht
wonkey donkey
OC Member
Colin McLean
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BestGear » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 pm

I just had a quick Google, and they are on George St.. shows the last time I was there looking for them!

Looks a deceint sized shop... which probably means I will spend money when in there, doh!

David
BestGear

Postby BestGear » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Quick question guys... what have you done to clean up the underside pre painting or Waxoyling?

I was going to give the underside subrframes, wishbones etc a quick grit blast.. but wondering if a serious power wash will remove most of the flaking rust.

Perhaps a mix of both... I hate that grit in my teeth!

Any thoughts?

David
BestGear

Postby BestGear » Fri May 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Just a wee update - I went into checkpoint and they could not help,, so its going to take me 15mins longer to fit... not the end of the world.

D
BestGear

Postby BestGear » Fri May 07, 2010 3:31 pm

BestGear wrote:Just a wee update - I went into checkpoint and they could not help,, so its going to take me 15mins longer to fit... not the end of the world.

D

I should add...if anyone else has any ideas re the wiring for the cobra, they would be most welcome...
BestGear

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat