New Subscriber

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

New Subscriber

Postby ziplockk » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:53 pm

Hi,

Nice to see a Scottish resource like this ;-)

I've been considering buying a Mk1 MX-5, MK-1 because of looks I guess (the original and perhaps the best ?), The car would be for my girlfriend . . . she deserves a wee treat ;-) . . . anyways I'm mechanically capable but was looking for a recommendation for some kind of online technical reference w.r.t what to look out for on a Mk1 . . . The car would probably remain standard, I'm looking for reliability and lack of rust I guess . . .

Me . . . own a Mk1 Elise, 170bhp of screaming, tuned K series in the boot (along with the roof 99% of the time), fancy dampers, yada, yada . . . which I did my IAM test in last year (much to the examiners delight - "you've passed, well done, you don't hang about, I like that") . . . on track regularly, circa 63 seconds a lap at Knockhill . . . alyways trying to learn more . . . do about 15-20K a year in it . . . second car . . .

Run www.LotusEcosse.com . . . kinda a part time thing I started doing when I got made redundant last year . . . Run www.elise-faq.info, kind of what I'm after for a 5 . . . work in software development, currently right next to Dastek in Dalgety Bay . . .

s'about it, pointers and tips appreciated, kinda hoping to buy sometime after our summer holiday - september time . . .

Cheers 8)
ziplockk

Postby Si » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:07 pm

Welcome to the site :) One of the best archives for the MX-5 is a mailing list maintained by Graeme (one of our area co-ordinators) :

http://www.fizzindi.demon.co.uk

Most of the information on it relates to the mk1 and I don't think it's updated as much these days because of topics continually repeating themselves.

Another useful resource, if you have any specific questions, is the UK MX-5 OC club forum. It can be found at http://www.mx5ocforum.co.uk. Technical questions are generally best asked there because of the large readership.

I have been told that I have done a 71 second lap round Knockhill ..... clearly way off your time, but I throroughly enjoyed it. I've been out once without the supercharger, and once with .... both times as good as each other :) Do you do any of the Hot Marques or Hot Hatch evenings, or do you prefer to go on with other Elises??

I'm off to Dastek on Saturday 7th August with some friends to get the car dyno'd. I was very impressed with the setup there when I went N/A and I'm looking forward to going back.

If you want a sniff round a slightly non-standard Mk1 MX-5 give me a shout. Dalgety Bay is just across the water from the Old Smoke so it's not far.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Si » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:26 pm

I've just had a quick look at your own site and it seems we have a common acquaintance ..... Iain Ferguson who traded in his yellow Elise for a Disco :shock:

http://www.ziplockk.com/driving/dubya/11.html

He's definately mentioned you before ..... small world!

Si

P.S. I know him through SS-R
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby ziplockk » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:37 am

Si wrote:I've just had a quick look at your own site and it seems we have a common acquaintance ..... Iain Ferguson who traded in his yellow Elise for a Disco :shock:

http://www.ziplockk.com/driving/dubya/11.html

He's definately mentioned you before ..... small world!

Si

P.S. I know him through SS-R

heh . . . aye . . . indeed we do ;-)

Thanks for the links, will have a wee look . . .

Cheers

Fd
ziplockk

Return to General Chat