snow on roof?

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

snow on roof?

Postby IAN » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:07 pm

My roof i think has been letting in water.Had one fitted 3 month ago so the roof itself should be ok,but with this snow i hate to think what the boot will be like in the morn do you think its the roof rail.I know this is more a tech subject but is anyone there for a chat and possible solution thanks IAN..........
IAN

Postby mgrays » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:44 pm

I have a wee battle/leak on this front at the moment (second hand Mk2 roof on a Mk1 but it is all the same really).

Best thing to do is to remove all the plastic "fir-tree" headed rivets that hold the carpet inside under the rear window. Pull back carpet and see what you find - this is where the water gets in. Use a watering can to put a fair amount over joint of roof to body.. I suspect too much will flood the joint and cause leaks.. so just a "heavy down pour!" .. maybe just throw a bucket of water over the rear window area. Anyway.. note where the leaks are coming in.. maybe with a marker pen. Then you need a 10mm socket, 2" extention and ratchet all in 1/4" drive ideally (I keep mine in the car with 8mm and 12mm sockets). Undo all the nuts that hold the black crimp frames that trap the bottom of the roof/rain rail. This is basically removing the joint between the roof and body. There are about 10 nuts - make sure you do not drop the ends ones as they will roll down the drain holes inside the car..

Now peel back the rain rail assembly and have a look - I would do all this with seats tilted or head rests removed.. and unclip roof at the front but do not unzip the rear window. Care is needed at the moment as it is so cold that the plastic of the rain rail will be brittle. What you are looking for is cuts/tears.. or it is possible that the last installer got the lip of rubber on the body not over lapping the rain rail.. I think impossible but maybe (this is the lip of rubber that stays with the bodyshell when you remove the roof and that you see at the base of the roof/body joint .. about 10mm x5mm section all the way around.

Clean all the junk out of the rain rail, dry it, inspect it... I think heavy duty "gaffer" tape (silver and very sticky) can be used to sort of repair - I did this on both sides of a rain rail in a couple of places and it survived... but if it is heavily holed you need a new one. I was not sure about mine perfect rain rail sealing where the nuts/studs go through it to clamp it (there is foam there but it maybe crushed - mine is secondhand) so I used a little clear silicon sealant (must be deformed bodyshell I think as this failed). Silicon sealant needs 24 hours (I got Locktite clear windscreen sealant from Halfords but if you have external grade silicon sealant that would work).

So I still have an issue under pressure washer conditions - I am going to try a bucket of water first but I think my bodyshell has a bump here - there is a seam that may cause this which I did not look at too closely except to note the MIG welding was not very pretty. The rubber external lip overhangs the plastic upstand of the rain rail so any water should be forced into the rain rail which has two plastic upstands/vertical sections with a semi circle of softer plastic at the bottom.

Any help?
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

snow on roof

Postby IAN » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:28 pm

ThankS Malcom i will give tha a go when the weather gets better. thats a joke eh?
IAN

Return to General Chat