Dealer Question...

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Dealer Question...

Postby Frankie » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:44 pm

I hope you guys don't mind, but I am the owner of a 51 plate Mazda 323F 2.0 Sport which is due for it's first MOT in a fortnight or so. Ergo I need a wee bit of advice.

What experience do you chaps have of the 3 (or is it 4 now?) dealers in Edinburgh? I work close to the Cameron Toll McKay Mazda dealership and intend using that, but don't mind using another depending on advice.

I also intend giving the car a service as the 3-year warranty has almost ran out. I bought the car in January this year and it had a FSH. In February it reached 27,000 miles and I asked McKay Mazda if they would service it in line with their warranty conditions, but the woman said it wouldn't need it done as the car would have been serviced before I bought it the previous month (even although it was from Reg Vardy).

I was worried this would invalidate the warranty, but she said, if I take the car in before the warranty runs out, they'll fix anything under warranty. Hopefully, she'll honour this....

Any comments would be most welcome and sorry for the off-topic thread...

:)
Frankie

Postby Frankie » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:45 pm

PS: Is there any sort of similar site for 323 owners and/or would their be interest if one were set up?
Frankie

Postby DouglasH » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:03 pm

DouglasH

Postby gm » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:53 am

Hi Frankie,

Maybe i'm being a bit cynical but i would have thought that a main dealer would be less likely to spot a fault with a car that is just about to go out of warranty. Any good mechanic should be able to look at the major components that might be prone to failure. It is probably a good idea to contact Vardy's to check exactly what was serviced. See if they have a report.

I have only used a main dealer once for servicing (step forward arnold clark) and they didn't impress me. They were expensive and reported a leaking sump gasket which they were very keen for me to let them 'fix' for only a few hundred quid. I declined and kept a weekly eye on the fluids. In the following six months, i probably used less than half a litre of oil to keep it topped up. Next service (full + timing belt) i used an independant mechanic (classic cars, abbeyhill now merged with S&J motors, leith) who was not overly concerned for the sump gasket. Another happy year of motoring followed until i traded in my civic for an mx5. I'm not particularly mechanically adept but figure as long as you look after a car, a modern engine should give you no trouble unless you're particularly unlucky.

Whoever does your servicing, make sure you get those all important stamps in the book - if you ever plan to sell privately, they will prove a good investment.

Anyway, enjoy your Mazda, even though you chose the wrong model ! :lol:

GM
gm

Postby Frankie » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:35 am

Hi guys.

Thanks for the advice and links.

GM:

Believe me, I'm just as cynical as you when it comes to main dealers, but recently Mazda seem to be getting praised from all quarters with regards to their dealer reputations. As such, I was really just hoping to see what dealer has the best rep in Edinburgh.

That, coupled with the expiring warranty and being it's first MOT, means I'm quite happy for the dealer to do the work in this instance.

After this, I'll probably go back to my local garage (T&J Wallace, Macmerry) who usually do a great job where you don't need to pay immediately... ;)

As for picking the wrong model, well you may be right, but being 6'3" and around 17stone, the MX-5 wasn't really very practical... :oops:
Frankie

Postby gm » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:45 pm

being 6'3" and around 17stone

i suddenly feel less inclined to argue the point :wink:
gm

Postby Frankie » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:21 pm

Just been notified that the car has failed it's MOT due to worn front brake pads and discs...?

Anyone have an idea of how much it's going to cost me to get this fixed...?

:)
Frankie

Postby Hardtrack » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:12 pm

The pads will be around the ?20 mark,maybe 50ish for 2 front discs............this is a guess from me owning a 4 year old 626,above price is from a motor factors,NOT a main dealer :).
No idea if you will fit them yourself although it is a very simple job.......any garage should not charge you more that 2 hours labour for this and thats allowing for their dilly dallying on a 20 mins a side job :roll: .You supply the parts and whatever a garage takes per hour..........average is about 40 quid,it's still an under ?200 quid parts and labour repair :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Return to General Chat