New MX5. New member.

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Postby steveti » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:07 am

Didn't realise I'd start such a debate by just saying hi. :shock:

Alot of good points though. Totally agree with loftladderman, a good forum should have a diversity of opinions on any and all subjects, as long as it doesn't get out of hand and become personal, I've seen some pretty nasty stuff on other forums.

Kevham, as I said on my first post my other car is a lightly modded (Boost upped to around 12-13psi and mongoose system fitted) 620ti rover giving in the region of 215 -220 bhp. The MX wouldn't look at it in a straight line put both on a B road and I know which I would prefer to be driving. Truth be told I wouldn't mind another 50 bhp or so but it is what it is and that is, so far, alot of fun and smiles.

Regards,

Steve.
steveti

Postby kevham » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 pm

steveti wrote:Didn't realise I'd start such a debate by just saying hi. :shock:

It's all good natured fun though :D

steveti wrote:Kevham, as I said on my first post my other car is a lightly modded (Boost upped to around 12-13psi and mongoose system fitted) 620ti rover giving in the region of 215 -220 bhp. The MX wouldn't look at it in a straight line put both on a B road and I know which I would prefer to be driving. Truth be told I wouldn't mind another 50 bhp or so but it is what it is and that is, so far, alot of fun and smiles.

I quite agree that another 50bhp would be nice but an extra 100bhp would be nicer! :twisted:

But that gets away from the essence of the car as cheap, cheerful fun 'cause to add 50bhp is a few grand. The FM2 turbo car I referred to in my post - the owner had spent over ?12k at that time just on mods - no longer cheap (it was incredibly quick though and well over 200bhp).

Having said that, with Roadsters being available SO cheap nowadays and with classic insurance keeping running costs down, I might be tempted to get myself another and start modding it up. (except the wife wants me to buy her an MR2!) :(
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Me ??

Postby loftladderman » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:33 pm

Me ??
Like verbal fencing on the forums ??
AS IF :lol: :lol: :lol: !

I love it :)

Course my MX's are sports cars..... always were always will be...but they are damned slow too ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa

Whitey not sold as I think the highest bid was around ?3,250...but thats life and a good price for a 1990...just not for Whitey is all.
I shall stick it on again sometime....see what happens...and if it doesnt make what I want for it ?? It gets moved along with one other up to Strichen and goes under wraps for a while :-)
Don't have to sell them, and certainly will not be giving them away :-)
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby Si » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:48 pm

Kev, in your photo there's a photo of a car on track .... I take it that's you? If so, what track and are you interested in getting more track action?

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Hardtrack » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:00 pm

Poor old Mack getting the rath of the owners club :lol: ....will refrain from commenting as i have a new bible with the mx5 listed as a sportscar :roll:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Hardtrack

Postby loftladderman » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 pm

Jim...that bible called the Quoran by any chance ?
According to mine...the King James version the only car mentioned is a TRIUMPH !
It must have been bloody fast with great brakes for sure as it was loaded up with heavy stone tablets with writing on....and it states in Exodus......
[b]and Moses came down the hill in his Triumph

Now Mt Sinia is one HIGH mountain...so it must have been good to get up in the first place.
Definately would not have made it both ways in an MX !
I think one of the tablets had written on it "Commandment 11...Thout shalt not call an MX5 a Sports Car " and on another "Commandment 12 Thout shall only ever buy a white one"
Ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby kevham » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:58 pm

Si wrote:Kev, in your photo there's a photo of a car on track .... I take it that's you? If so, what track and are you interested in getting more track action?

Si

Yep - it's me all right - at Donington. I used to be a trackday regular but I haven't done any since I moved back to Scotland last year. I'd definitely be up for some trackdays come the spring.
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby Si » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:17 pm

kevham wrote:I'd definitely be up for some trackdays come the spring.

Excellent :D We (not mx5scotland :() are planning another session at Knockhill for early next year .... I'll keep you posted! (or take a look at ss-R.com.

Si
Si

Si

Postby loftladderman » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:05 am

Si let me know dates or when it is posted in the "other" forum will you, for Knockhill :-)
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Re: Si

Postby Si » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:50 am

loftladderman wrote:Si let me know dates or when it is posted in the "other" forum will you, for Knockhill :-)

What? Are you thinking about actually coming along some time?

:D :lol:

Si
Si

Yup

Postby loftladderman » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:21 pm

Would have come last time bar for the Greddy being stripped for "H" Corrilo rods, turbo pistons, changing the hydraulic valves for sprung versions in the new gas flowed head, having the crank sintered, and the whole engine away being balanced out.
Sort of slows it down a bit then :-)
I could only push her at around 4 mph :-)

Needed all this done before I slapped the E-manage in and added the water / methanol to her.
Think it should be ready and fitted in a couple more weeks as they are constructing the tank to house the motor, and to fit in the lower area of the boot so I can still run with 2 NOS bottles in there :-)

Whole lot should be done / finished around Christmas after another few hours on the rolling roads doing the final setups / adjustments :-)
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Re: Hardtrack

Postby stevieg » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:03 pm

loftladderman wrote:Jim...that bible called the Quoran by any chance ?
According to mine...the King James version the only car mentioned is a TRIUMPH !
It must have been bloody fast with great brakes for sure as it was loaded up with heavy stone tablets with writing on....and it states in Exodus......
[b]and Moses came down the hill in his Triumph

Now Mt Sinia is one HIGH mountain...so it must have been good to get up in the first place.
Definately would not have made it both ways in an MX !
I think one of the tablets had written on it "Commandment 11...Thout shalt not call an MX5 a Sports Car " and on another "Commandment 12 Thout shall only ever buy a white one"
Ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It wasn't a TR7 I had one of those and it was slower than my wheezy 88bhp 5 :lol: :lol: :lol:
MK2.5 S-VT Supreme (Midnight) Blue Mica
stevieg

stevie

Postby loftladderman » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:47 am

My son, your "wheeziness" shall soon be a thing of the past :wink:
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Previous

Return to General Chat