seeking advice

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

seeking advice

Postby hoopy » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:57 pm

Hi,i have seen a mx5,X reg,16k miles,leccy windows,leather seats,alloys,one owner,FMSH for 9k,is that a good price?
It doesnt have an immobiliser/alarm or central locking,so is it just a 1.8i?
thanks
hoopy

Postby hoopy » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:22 pm

also,do all mx5's have adjustable sterring column?
hoopy

Postby Colin & Margaret » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:30 pm

Hoopy.......Price seem reasonable if it's in tip top condition. I don't know about the adjustable steering column though. If there is one, I have not found it on mine yet!! Perhaps someone else can enlighten us.

On the issue of an imobiliser, I would keen to know if the MX5 came with a factory item and what spec it is as I have assumed that mine has one and have told the insurance company that it does!!!!

If it does not, then I will need to get something organised PDQ so advice from the better informed would be gratefully received.

Regards

Colin :idea:
2002 1.8 Silver Sport - Now gone too a new home..............
2010 2.0 Aluminium Silver Sport Tech - Getting on but still enjoying the wind in my skin!!
Colin & Margaret

Postby DouglasH » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:17 pm

Hoopy...does seem a bit expensive for a 1.8i, I would be looking for a much higher spec car for that kind of money.
From 98 on (Mk2) the only car without without electric windows was the 1.6., the only one with central locking was the 1.8is, leather was an option only on all models until special editions like Icon were released. The best way to tell the difference between the i and is is to look at the steering wheel, if the wheel is four spoke and plastic its a 1.8i (or a 1.6i in which case it would have non alloy steel wheels) if the wheel is three spoke and leather rimmed with a blue Nardi badge on the boss, its a 1.8is.
Other visible extras fitted to 1.8is are..colour coded mud flaps all round, 195x50xr15 tyres, the 1.8i also came with steel wheels but most dealers upgraded them to alloys. chrome frankenstein bolts for hardtop between boot lid and roof. Its possible the car you looked at has been fitted with extras at time of purchase.

No UK mx5s that I'm aware of had an adjustable steering columm.

Colin & Margaret..from 98 on immobiliser system was fitted to all models.
DouglasH

Postby hoopy » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:20 pm

well,i think i better keep looking,was getting a good deal,plenty of extras,but better to hang off,cheers
hoopy

Postby hoopy » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:07 pm

do you think the one i saw had a immobiliser then?
hoopy

Postby DouglasH » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:08 pm

Yes definitely.

To check for immobiliser..turn key to start engine, look for red warning light with key symbol, lights up briefly then goes off when system has determined correct transponder key was used. This light is situated top r.h.s. above temp guage.
DouglasH

Return to General Chat