Arnolds in Stirling

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Arnolds in Stirling

Postby bryanc » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:07 pm

Just bought a new 5 Arctic in Stirling having traded in my old one. I have no intention of getting it serviced there but wondered if anyone had any dealings on the sales side. ( I suppose I can take it to any Mazda dealer to maintian the warranty ).

Have already been told that respraying the hard top is a tricky job and would be better to buy a new one!!
:?:
Then contacted Mckay Mazda who quoted me ?250 all in - no comparison. My first impression is not so great.

There are some worrying websites out there so thought i'd actually see if anyone had anything good to say or have I just made a very expensive mistake??? :?:
bryanc

Postby Richardn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Arnolds in Stirling

Postby Greg & Nic » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:53 pm

bryanc wrote: ( I suppose I can take it to any Mazda dealer to maintian the warranty ).

Hi Bryan.....lovely car you've bought....I'm envious :wink:

As far as servicing is concerned.....here is the law!!!

You can have your car serviced at any reputible garage you like. They do not need to be a Mazda dealer, or any franchised dealer for that matter. As long as the car is serviced using Mazda brand parts and at the proper intervals then the manufacturer is duty bound to honour the warranty. The only reason you'd have to visit A.C. in future is to have any "faults" fixed under warranty. They may look snootily at you and threaten that the warranty could be invalidated as the car hasn't been serviced there, but that is b*****s! As most owners on here will tell you. A good independent garage will maintain your car a helluva lot better than most franchised dealers. That was proven recently too in the press when What Car (I believe) booked a rogue car in for checks and repairs and the franchised agents and fast fit centres absolutely bombed!

I'm sure someone in your locality will be able to recommend a good indy garage.
Hope this helps......and enjoy the car!!
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby bryanc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:04 pm

Richardn wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Thanks for this I think.....

Does this mean "I laugh out loud at your stupidity" or as I rather hope it does "Not a bad choice of dealer".
bryanc

Re: Arnolds in Stirling

Postby bryanc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:07 pm

Greg & Nic wrote:
bryanc wrote: ( I suppose I can take it to any Mazda dealer to maintian the warranty ).

Hi Bryan.....lovely car you've bought....I'm envious :wink:

I'm sure someone in your locality will be able to recommend a good indy garage.
Hope this helps......and enjoy the car!!

Well I used Hastons in Bo'ness who have been terrific but I thought I had to use a Main dealer to maintain the Warranty so thanks for this.
I'll probably go back to Hastons and see what he thinks..

Bryan
bryanc

Postby Hardtrack » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:10 pm

I bought my other :) car from Mazda Kerse rd in Stirling 2 years ago,never had no probs as such with them.The model was from Ireland,and was a bit of a pain to get tax initially ,but got it sorted and got the documents through after it was regisered in uk mainland.I haggled a brill hard cash deal with the guy and made it out from the start,i wasn't a monkey that knew nothing of 626's as i did trade the same model in,lol......all in all i was happy ,soon as i left the complex ,i never went back,so can't comment on servicing etc :) .........the Mazda Paisley Arnold Clark needs shot though,wouldn't put a pram into them :evil: :evil:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Richardn » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:59 am

bryanc wrote:
Richardn wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Thanks for this I think.....

Does this mean "I laugh out loud at your stupidity" or as I rather hope it does "Not a bad choice of dealer".

We bought an Mx-3 from there. The so called mechanics had it 3 months out of 12!!!
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby shog69 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:23 pm

Just a point for you. If you get your car serviced at an Non Mazda Dealership you warranty is only valid for 1 year. We are not duty bound to uphold a warranty on a car unless it is serviced at an authorised Mazda
dealer within the service time/milage limits. Even if you use Mazda parts the warranty is blown if you use a Non Mazda dealer.
shog69

Postby sparkly » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:10 pm

OK, bag of worms opened (again) here: I asked mechanic sent out by Mazda European Assistance (3yr warranty supplied with new car/my fault, nothing to do with car) whether I could later get my car serviced there locally; I knew by experience his reply would be, "no, you've got to go to Mazda dealer to get logbook stamp". OK, but if they accept these trusted locals to bail you out of trouble, possibly big trouble abroad, why then not to provide exceptional care of the essential warranty period? Answer: guaranteed throughputx3 yrs/big money for dealers who just pay the money to be dealers, not necessarily experts - could that ever be the case Shog?

Richard - my Alfa 156 spent a similarly great deal of its warranty period to your MX-3 at the (A Clark Saughton) dealers. Whilst a lovely car inside and outside to drive, it was still a '98 Launch Lemon, the experience made much worse by them being the operatives. Things improved when I hit the end of the warranty and could go to McLennan's genuine Alfa afficionados in Loanhead.

Big vested interest; MX-5 official birthday candles at 9000 miles now well blown out after 8andahalf months - booked into dealers Tag M'well for first service next Mon. Hell of a long drive if they can mess up a perfectly good-running car - has that happened to anyone?
sparkly

Postby murwilson » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:08 pm

shog69 wrote:Just a point for you. If you get your car serviced at an Non Mazda Dealership you warranty is only valid for 1 year. We are not duty bound to uphold a warranty on a car unless it is serviced at an authorised Mazda
dealer within the service time/milage limits. Even if you use Mazda parts the warranty is blown if you use a Non Mazda dealer.

How does this work if I do the servicing myself?

Same as a non-Mazda dealer I'd guess.

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby Richardn » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:59 am

shog69 wrote:Just a point for you. If you get your car serviced at an Non Mazda Dealership you warranty is only valid for 1 year. We are not duty bound to uphold a warranty on a car unless it is serviced at an authorised Mazda

WE are not duty bound???? Own up, who do you work for :?
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby graeme » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:02 am

Shog69 has never hidden the fact that he works for Murray Mazda in Edinburgh. See his other posts on this forum. Wake up Sherlock :lol:
graeme

Postby Richardn » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:21 am

It's Monday Morning, I'll wake up about Wednesday :lol:
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat