bikes then MX-5's

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

did you move from bikes to your mx5?

yup
37%
nope - never owned a bike
63%

Total votes : 19

bikes then MX-5's

Postby ninja » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:52 am

forgive me if this has been done already - i'm new to the site!!! lol

oh - great site by the way - even tho no one could help me get my power steering belt off!!!

i was wondering how many of you have had bikes before. i actually got the mx5 as a happy medium between my ducati and a normal car - wanted the thrill of my bike but in a more user friendly package.

ninja :evil:
ninja

Postby Greg & Nic » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:54 pm

Hi Ninja.... I didn't actually move from a bike into the roadster but it was all linked in a funny kind of way. I owned and enjoyed bikes for most of my teenage years and well into my twenties. In my late twenties I started to scare myself a bit as bikes were getting ever more powerful and easier to handle. I have always been a speed freak unfortunately (very un pc I know.... :roll: ) but like I said, things were getting out of hand. I thankfully never had any big moments but sensibility told me that it was only a matter of time. Nic became pregnant with our daughter about then too so I gave up the bikes and decided to choose life lol. Anyway, I turned 40 this year and decided that I would manufacture a mid life crisis so I could get a bike again.. :wink: . I convinced myself that I would be ever so sensible now and that the speed bug had been grown out of.......until I got a loan of my mates Fireblade for a long weekend. I was wrong....it was still there, lurking under the surface. After 3 days I had actually convinced myself that the 'blade was slow and that I'd have to have an R1 instead :twisted: . Thankfully I saw sense and binned the bike idea altogether at that point. I'm paying too much into my pension to not enjoy it if it's worth anything when I retire! I talked to Nic and suggested that we go for a 5 instead, something we could both have fun in. I don't think I made the wrong decision either as it is great fun..... so no regrets!
Only problem is.....it's a bit slow! (Oh no it's started again.... :shock: )
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby ninja » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:05 pm

Greg & Nic wrote:until I got a loan of my mates Fireblade for a long weekend. I was wrong....it was still there, lurking under the surface. After 3 days I had actually convinced myself that the 'blade was slow and that I'd have to have an R1 instead :twisted: .

the red mist never really goes away does it!!! lol

i've binned my bike far too often in the last 3 years for it to be a good idea keeping it! i love it to give, my sparkey titanium knee sliders just kick ass at night but having just spent 2 grand fixing it from it's last lamppost encounter i'm starting to think that maybe it's not such a good idea keeping it! going to spend the winter thinking about it - but yeah i'll have to make the mx5 faster if i get rid of the bike..... turbo anyone, lol

ninja :evil:
ninja

5 FOR A BIKE

Postby IAN » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:41 pm

I also went from a bike to a 5,only as the wife and kids saw a bike and its rider smashed at roadside with bike jacket ,the lot the same as mine and came in in a right mess .had a gsx r600 02 reg sold it and got a 5 and a holiday so not to bad.I would agree the 5 is a bit slow in the power dept but makes up for it in looks.
IAN

Re: bikes then MX-5's

Postby Si » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:59 pm

ninja wrote:i was wondering how many of you have had bikes before.

I used to have a Saracen Eiger competition but have recently just bought a Edinburgh Bicycle ATB with disc brakes !!!!

Car vs Bike = no competitin ...... car wins any day!!!

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby DouglasH » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:54 pm

Voted yup, although not technically correct as there has been twelve or so cars in between.
As per a previous poster, was getting a bit worried when fellow biker friends were sadly being killed in serious accidents, so decided it was time to quit when ahead.
Now its a GT Tequesta hardtail with V brakes (not as posh 8) as Si) for my two wheel kicks.
ps next poll should be... since you bought your Mx-5 how many times have you actually been on your bike. :oops:
DouglasH

Postby Hardtrack » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:27 pm

I sold my chopper :shock: on e-bay for ?300.52.....rusted to bits and some mug bought it,and was delighted :shock: ,cycling seems too much like hard work :x ........any comments and i challenge them to a 5 mile jog,to sort the men out from the boys :twisted: .....i might be heavy ,but have a few half marathons behind me :wink: (wrappers in the bin)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Si » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:40 am

Hardtrack wrote:......but have a few half marathons behind me :wink: (wrappers in the bin)

So does Paula Radcliffe .......... :lol: :lol:

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Hardtrack » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:43 am

Come on Mr fitness 8) ....show me your stamina in an easy 5 mile race? 8)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby inddigo » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:59 am

im defo not getting involved in this....... was that a 5 min or 5 mile run, might manage the former no chance on the later.... :lol:
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Bike before MX5

Postby neuromancer » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:47 pm

Yes I'm another ex-bike owner. I had various bikes, but my last was a Triumph 955i. Sold it last Autumn and bought the 5 during the winter. Loved the bike but it just wasn't getting used enough to justify its upkeep.

Although the 5 does not really compare to a sports bikes performance, both give a sense of adventure to even routine journeys. The bike made you much more in touch with the surroundings (sometimes literally!) and the 5 with the roof down gives a similar sensation.
neuromancer

Postby slartibartfast » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:52 pm

Voted "Yup" but I haven't "moved". Still use a VFR750 daily. I bought an Aprillia Caponord which I thought would replace the VFR , but I'm selling the Caponord and keeping the VFR. Don't know what I will replace the VFR with eventually. Perhaps the new BMW K series or a GS ?

The MX is an experiment , and my first open top and I must admit with the top down I feel even more "involved" in the scenery than on the bike. It's not the same buzz , but I don't drive the MX properly yet , and don't know where the limit is. I look forward to exploring though :D
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby grouse » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:18 pm

Does my Lambretta count...? 8) 8) 8) 8)
(or the BSA Road Rocket)
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Postby don.b » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:44 pm

Hardtrack wrote:I sold my chopper :shock: on e-bay for ?300.52.....rusted to bits and some mug bought it,and was delighted :shock: ,cycling seems too much like hard work :x ........any comments and i challenge them to a 5 mile jog,to sort the men out from the boys :twisted: .....i might be heavy ,but have a few half marathons behind me :wink: (wrappers in the bin)

I'm a bit like Jim, I went from a Raleigh Chopper straight to a car, (TR6) ebay wasn't around when I sold it.......bummer I only got ?30.

I still have a Schwinn Moab Mountain bike, does that count?

I wanted to get a Honda Shadow Cruiser, but Liz won't let me and she wears the trousers in this relationship, so I do as I'm told !

Don.
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby Hardtrack » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:16 am

I had a few scramblers and trials bikes when i was at school,but so did everyone else.Then i had the usual when i came of age..250 wetdream :shock: :oops: kawa 400 triple.erm ...Yam xj550...then i got a car,the bikes today are plastic projectiles 8) ,but waaaaaaaaay too cold :x
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Return to General Chat