tips on MX5 driving

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

tips on MX5 driving

Postby Ronmac » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:16 am

To All,

Now I hope to actually own a eunos 1.6 in the near future, and would appreciate any tips on driving these wee vroom vroomers.

I will join the club when I have my MX5, and I intend driving the car in a fast but safe manner.

I realise that each car is different, and each will have its own foibles, but in general how fast can they take a roundabout, and when is best acceleration point out of roundabout.

Where is best mid range acceleration. 40-50-? 50-60?

Is 3rd gear the power gear?

Just to promote discussion on indivividual driving styles.
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby Phil » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:37 am

Most of the questions you are asking will be answered by yourself by trial and error (not too much error I hope). :?

Just remember that this is a rear wheel drive car and will therefore handle quite differently to a front wheel drive vehicle. :shock:

The handling will also depend on the tyres that are fitted, the type can make quite a difference to the grip you get as you corner. :)

As with most cars 3rd gear is the gear to be in for most overtaking situations but don't be scared to rev the engine as you will probably find the maximum torque at a higher level than most other cars. 8)
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Ronmac » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:50 am

Phil,

This is the kind of informative reply I was looking for! Strange indeed!(lol)

Just the reminder of rear wheel drive made me realise that probably every car I have had over last 12-15 years has been front wheel. so a timely reminder. Thank you.

Over revving is something I would normally never do, so thinking 'sports car' is an interesting idea. Sounds like fun.

I may be in my senior moments years, (many many moments!), but I refuse to be a senior 20mph driver of a Mx-5. I want fun!

Hopefully, my senior status and driving expereice of 40 years (ouch!) in all manner of vehicles will keep me safe. I have had power cars, and recall an Audi Quattro engined 100 that was brillinat fun. It took me three weeks to realise that I was 'titling' myself on corners, and it was not the car 'tilting' me. It stayed straight on its 4 wheels on bends at 60-70mph.

Thanks again.
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby Richardn » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:13 pm

Golden rule once committed to the corner DON'T LIFT OFF!

if it slides - lift partialy and re-plant, otherwise it bites!
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Phil » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:53 pm

I wasn't suggesting you 'over rev' but you will find that the MX-5 engine will rev quite freely up to the Red line on the tacho (once the engine is warm). :lol:

I would not suggest that going over that limit would be very wise, that of course applies to any engine. :?
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby DouglasH » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:36 pm

It took me three weeks to realise that I was 'titling' myself on corners, and it was not the car 'tilting' me.

Ronmac...would I be correct in assuming from that comment you were once the proud owner of machines of the two wheeled variety.. 8)
DouglasH

Postby Ronmac » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:21 pm

Douglas,

I have had the experience of the old Norton 500 in my youth, and the follow up experience at Western Infirmary Casualty Dept having gravel removed from my sensitive parts.

It was just me being artisically licensed in my use of language, I have driven HGV, and all manner of things on wheels, and play with the kids at taking corners extremly fast at around 10mph with all the body rolling and sports car sounds!

Seriously, I was laughing at myself when I realised the Audi Quattro 100 just sat on its 4 wheels with hardly no indicated suspension roll at bends and corners.

Phil,

I know what you mean about revving, red lines are GOOD things to obey.

Richardn,

In my one real shot of a MX5, I took a roundabout 360 following this golden rule of staying on the pedal. I was still laughing hours later, and this was my 'need to have' one of these roadster moment, that started the whole MX5 thing off. Its all about torque, and I had never experienced anything like it!

Thanks for th eadvice to you all, you have an eager student!
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby DouglasH » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:48 pm

Ronmac..the reason I asked about the bikes is that I myself having driven bikes in a past life, find my left knee tends to automatically spring out into the transmission tunnel when taking left handers, must be something in it, or perhaps its a comfort thing, anyway speaks volumes for the Mx-5, never done it with any other car. :D
(I just know I'm gonna get stick for this :roll: )
DouglasH

Postby Phil » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:04 pm

Douglas, as next years birthday is a BIG one I am going to suggest to other members that we all chip in for a two wheeled machine as a present. :?

Bearing in mind the expected budget I think something about 10 years old with a 50cc engine might be possible. :shock:

Still it will bring back memories, probably poor ones. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil

Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby DouglasH » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:45 am

Cheers Phil, I can't wait :? and thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention that I'll be 40 next year :D
DouglasH

Postby Hardtrack » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:17 am

The Mx5 is a very forgiving car,actually discussed this with Douglas the other night....touch wood ,i said ,if you crash a mx5 your obviously a crap driver :?(yeah i know a stupid remark!)but you know what i mean ...........they are the most amazing handling car that you can make a serious mistake in,and they snap back in and grip....at least mine does :shock:,when i really would have been in the scenery in any other car i've drove.As of performance,anything under 4k,is pretty gutless,they are very torquey(not the holiday place) and do pull well in a high gear at low speed,you just won't get decent accelaration.You need keep them on the boil to make brisk performance,for me between 4k and 7....the limiter comes in on mine at 7and a half k.....and believe me it is used 8)........as of the back end going out,it does it when you want it to,floor it in first and it will grip as you need be well up the rev range in any gear to make it snap out..............hope you enjoy your purchase,the above i described is a 1.8,aparantly they are a lazy engine compared to the revier 1.6....make your own decison and enjoy :wink: :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby ninja » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:30 am

DouglasH wrote:Ronmac..the reason I asked about the bikes is that I myself having driven bikes in a past life, find my left knee tends to automatically spring out into the transmission tunnel when taking left handers, must be something in it, or perhaps its a comfort thing, anyway speaks volumes for the Mx-5, never done it with any other car. :D
(I just know I'm gonna get stick for this :roll: )

rotfl - i do this too!!!!

iv'e got a ducati 748sp and i think that having ridden bikes at some point is a good learning curve for the mx5 - the rear will slid as it does with bikes and it's important to keep your cool whenit does! slamming on the brakes and taking yoru foot off th eaccelerator will only put you in a hedge! lol, it's great fun - it only it could do wheelies too!!!

ninja :evil:
ninja

Postby Ronmac » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:29 pm

Ninja,

<<it only it could do wheelies too..>>

Well, I thought it did!!
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby ninja » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:41 pm

lol

i meant if only the 5 could do wheelies too!!!

i'm getting a company car and comign under pressure to get rid of the lil 5 but i'm not giving it up - it's too much fun and an audi is hardly going to be very exciting! i like that where ever i go in my mx5 it's like a race - every corner is an new challenge - will i skip the back out? will i manage to control it? will it wheelspin away from the lights - it's jsut too much fun!!!

ninja

Company car??

Postby grouse » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:23 pm

and an audi is hardly going to be very exciting!

Well Ninja, I hope you will soon change your mind... :)

We've both been Audi fans for many years - I normally do in excess of 20-odd k per annum in my oil burner - and just collected my latest today.... :)

As for Pauline in hers - well..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I bought my MX-5 over a year ago, and you're so right - it is very special - so special that it's the only car to have garage space AND the Meguiars treatment in this family! :D :D
AND, I don't belong to the Audi Owners Club!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy your Audi - but, don't let the MX-5 go.... 8) 8)
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Postby ninja » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:12 pm

lol

i'm not gonna get rid of the 5 - it's too much fun!!!

ninja

Postby Hardtrack » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:34 am

I had an Audi coupe gt once...2.2, 5 cylinder,was actually quite a good car for an 86 model 8) ,was fun in 2nd and made a nice roar :D only fault i had with it ,it would loose it at the front rather than the back :lol:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby grouse » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:51 am

[/quote]I had an Audi coupe gt once...[quote]

So, what's that car beside yours in your sig pic... :?:
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Postby Hardtrack » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:57 pm

Thats an audi TT...thought you'd have known that being an audi fan :P...........nice car the previous owner of my Roadster had parked next to it on his drive when he sent me a pic before sale....so now you know :wink:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

TT

Postby grouse » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:14 pm

Yes - I did recognise it! :)

I thought it was yours when I first saw your sig pic many moons ago!

Therefore I couldn't understand your comments about corners, etc. :?

Now I know, ta! :lol:
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Next

Return to General Chat