Go on...try it, you'll love it!!

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Go on...try it, you'll love it!!

Postby Greg & Nic » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:10 pm

Nic and I have just had our first kiddie free week for ages as our daughter was away on a school trip. We both took the week off too and did loads of things we've been wanting to do for ages (we obviously can't talk about that on here though... :shock:)
What we can tell you about was our middle of the night trip out in the Wee Beastie. We set the alarm for 4am Thursday and had a bit of an early night. When the alarm went off we both had second thoughts as it seemed awfully chilly outside, but dragged ourselves out of bed anyway. By just after half past 4 we had made up some sarnies and a big flask of tea, donned some fleecy hats, got the roof down and set off on a starlit run. We had decided to head west and drove up through Callander and out towards Oban. I have driven in all weathers with the roof down but Nic was genuinly surprised at just how warm and comfortable it was even though it must have been just above freezing when we left. There were one or two other vehicles on the roads and we could almost see the drivers saying "look at them pair of nutters... :shock: " We stopped by a little loch and watched the sunrise over the Trossachs which was stunning, and got into Oban before 8am. We had a wander around and then set off up to Fort William as we hadn't been there in ages. The run back to Stirling was fantastic too as by early afternoon the sun had broken through and the scenery was breathtaking.
That's one of the things we love about the wee Roadster..... it gives an added dimension to going out for a drive.... just makes any little run an experience rather than a chore. The last time I had these kind of feelings were in my motorcycle days when I would just jump on and go for a ride for the hell of it. Nic, unfortunatley hates motor bikes :(
Anyway.... If you haven't experienced a run with the roof off in the middle of the night, you really should.

This bit has only to be read by male members (excuse the pun!)...... Nic said it was one of the most romantic things we've done for ages. Might be worth a try if you guys are looking to get in the good books etc.... :wink: :lol: :twisted:
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby Hardtrack » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:53 am

I love night time driving with the roof off :D .I used to go down south quite a bit and my first experience of night time driving was a 330 mile trip back from Birmingham...certainly kept me awake and was quite enjoyable,even though it rained a bit and was in chilly February :? .I took a female friend a midnight drive in Lancs not long after i bought the car to............she complained about the racket my Mazdaspeed exhaust made :lol: ........woman eh :P :lol:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Si » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:35 am

Hardtrack wrote:she complained about the racket my Mazdaspeed exhaust made :lol: ........woman eh :P :lol:

Yeah, you really should get that exhaust fixed Jim! Tell you what, you get it off the car, give it to me, and I'll have it 'fixed' in no time!

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Hardtrack » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:14 pm

Is that with or without the dodgey headlights to :lol:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby ninja » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:48 am

superb greg!

i was surprised at how hot and comfy it is with the top down too - heating on obviously but even at that it's quite a nice experience.

strange how a few people have came from bikes to mx5's!!!!! must be the rear wheel sliding about that we all like!! lol, it's certainly more of a toy than a utility vehicle and it makes even the stupidest little trips into a blast :D

always funy when you got to asda and find that your 3 carrier bags won't fit in the boot! lol

ninja :evil:
ninja

Postby Colin & Margaret » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:03 pm

ninja wrote:superb greg!

always funy when you got to asda and find that your 3 carrier bags won't fit in the boot! lol

Had the same experience at Asda. However, this just adds to the fun. How many full carrier bags can you get on the wifes lap in one trip???????
2002 1.8 Silver Sport - Now gone too a new home..............
2010 2.0 Aluminium Silver Sport Tech - Getting on but still enjoying the wind in my skin!!
Colin & Margaret

Postby don.b » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:34 pm

Colin & Margaret wrote:
ninja wrote:superb greg!

Had the same experience at Asda. However, this just adds to the fun. How many full carrier bags can you get on the wifes lap in one trip???????

........and just hope the airbag doesn't go off, that would ruin her hairstyle not to mention the dinner.

I've solved the problem anyway, I let Liz go to Asda on her own, then she car fill the boot and the front seat.

Don.
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:00 pm

Your not trying hard enough, I can get over ?100 of supermarket shopping in the boot and passenger seat. :lol:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Fee » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:06 pm

We get all our weekly shopping in the boot, ok there's only 2 of us, but we eat a lot!

Only once did we have a problem when I had the bright idea of buying the bulk packs of toilet rolls - that caused a space problem but it was raining so put them on the parcel shelf.

Fi
Fee

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:10 pm

If you buy the bulk packs a lot you could always get a trailer. 8) 8)
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby graeme » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:48 pm

More than once I've had to leave Chris at savacentre, go home, unload the shopping and go back for her :lol:
graeme

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:57 pm

Not good, :shock: just follow the 5 P's :?

Proper Planning, Prevents Poor Performance. :lol:
Phil

Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Shopping!

Postby grouse » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:48 pm

Your not trying hard enough, I can get over ?100 of supermarket shopping in the boot and passenger seat.

Phil,

that's only about 10 bottles of Grouse.......and room for some wine.. :D
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Postby sparkly » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:09 am

But isn't that the best fun you can have with the roof down? :lol: - working out and achieving how to fit the supermarket 'elephant' load into the car? :wink: And what about those amazing 'Tardis' spaces down either corner of the parcel shelf?? :D

Liz
sparkly

Postby sparkly » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:13 am

doh, I meant roof up, as in roof down towards the car :? - TOP ON
sparkly

Postby Hardtrack » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:47 am

Too early ........get back to bed Liz :lol:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby ninja » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:55 pm

i just recently moved job and had to use the 5 in the flit. had 8 A3 file boxes of books etc. optimistically took a couple down to the car - opened the boot and realised that i could only just about fit 1 box in per trip!!!!

lol

ninja

Postby sparkly » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:45 pm

Jim -

that was a *late* post for me, no weekends or lie-ins here! Noticed you posting early yourself recently, you must have the same problem :wink:
Lovely morning for a drive up the 701 to town, was ready for lunch while others were still crawling in places for breakfast - passed people saying 'You gone to bed yet?' :lol: Them were the days ...oh yes happy birthday Douglas :lol:

Saw a nice slatey-blue 54 reg going in yesterday; would that be one of the new Arctic colours?

Liz (well you can't see the engine so you might as well like the colour :)
sparkly

Postby murwilson » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:06 pm

Phil wrote:Not good, :shock: just follow the 5 P's :?

Proper Planning, Prevents Poor Performance. :lol:

There was me thinking it was 6 P's too

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Ah well, appears my edumucation is lacking...

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby Phil » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:16 am

You are quite right but I thought that was a bit too much like Power Station language so I toned it down a bit. :?

As far as bottles of Grouse, I see you are concentrating on the neccessities of life :shock: , I was thinking of the luxuries, like milk, bread etc. :lol: :lol:
Phil

Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Next

Return to General Chat