Charity donations.

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Charity donations.

Postby turbocharged225 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:15 pm

The following was posted on the UK forum.........

"Why is the loud and somewhat sanctimonious minority attempting to villify the silent majority, who join a club to enjoy their interests and the company of like-minded people?

I agree with previous posts that charity giving is a very personal thing and there can't be a person in the land who hasn't been touched in some way by illness/tragedy or something that has prompted a donation to a cause.

Personally, I will avoid "pressurised donating" - particularly if I sense that the can-rattler is on some sort of ego trip, or conducting themselves in a manner prejudicial to the good name of the organisation whose flag they're flying.....

It doesn't seem right that there is a suggestion that some members might be "rewarded" for "not being seen to support in an obvious manner".

Sure - these guys are to be commended for their efforts, just don't spoil it by making disparaging comments about anyone who didn't stand on their car bonnets loudly proclaiming themselves to be "givers", or couldn't turn out because something as mundane as earning a living stopped them.

Let's be grateful for what we got!"
turbocharged225

Postby boringchap » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:27 pm

Since returning from holidaying at the weekend I have been struggling to find the right words. You have found them!

Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

Charity

Postby turbocharged225 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:12 pm

Thanks Tom!

I struggled with a lot of emotions/thoughts and discussion before I felt that I could "go live" - my feedback has been good.
turbocharged225

Postby Hardtrack » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:43 pm

Did i miss something??,i thanked everyone at Callander classic show,and to be honest i couldn't care less who never gave nothing and i don't want any recognition for doing a run i choose to do,as if i never wanted to ,i would not have done it.I don't know who your remarks are aimed at,but as one of the two Scottish members who done the run,it can only be a 50/50,and i can assure you i never pressured anyone to donate,you would have saw this if you were at the Callander show,a simple no thanx was enough,there was no guns pointing.Everyone at the Callander show gave a donation to my knowledge,and to be blatantly blunt,from maybe 25 members that were there on the Sunday,it was around a tenth of what was donated at the National Rally in Telford with over 1000 people,so do your sums and see who contributed the most incase you think any remarks have been aimed at Scottish people.....my costs and total sponsorship nearly equalled the bucket donations at the National Rally on Sunday to.............do i want thanx?,no thanx,as said before i done it through my choice of helping others as maybe i'm in a better position to do so,and certainly did not pressure anyone with rattling a bucket in front of them.If you were at Callander and felt intimidated with a bucket put in front of you and gave a donation to save face,i'm sure people would have thought more of you in being true to yourself face to face with a situationyou felt uncomfortable with.........if you just said no. :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Hardtrack » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:52 pm

who join a club to enjoy their interests and the company of like-minded people?

As being very offended with the remarks aimed at people getting nothing but the satisfaction out of helping others....i think that comment may have closed a few doors...........i wish someone would take this thread off the board,as it will open a real can of worms and deflate a lot of people.Thats it from me :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

sanctimonious

Postby loftladderman » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:41 pm

Sanctimonious = Feigning piety or righteousness.

Note: I was and am not feigning !

A less pious person than myself you will never meet.
Righteous ? Debatable I admit.

I can give off the cuff 3 definitions of reightousness.

1) Morally upright; without guilt or sin.
2) In accordance with virtue or morality.
3) Morally justifiable.

I am not without guilt or sin.
I do not live within all the accepted guidelines of virtue OR morality.
The causes I drove to raise money for are definately morally justifiable.

IF you wished to give to the charities that myself and Jim were collectng for you would have given.
If you did not, then you would not have.

If by giving up our time from work, absorbing the fuel / food / and other costs involved in the run, we are considered Sanctimonious ? GREAT !

I stated, what was a fact, in my own personal case.
One person I did not know contributed more than any "group" I did know in my homeland.

I am not too sure where I vilified ( To make vicious and defamatory statements about someone ) the silent majority, or the ones who did nothing at all to support these very worthy causes.
I was neither vicious nor was I defamatory about anyone.
It is your life to lead as you see fit.

I do not remember holding a gun at anyones head to force them to contribute anything to anyone at anytime.
I do not have to live by some others standards.

Sure - these guys are to be commended for their efforts, just don't spoil it by making disparaging comments about anyone who didn't stand on their car bonnets loudly proclaiming themselves to be "givers", or couldn't turn out because something as mundane as earning a living stopped them.

I thank you for your commendation on taking part in the run.
I did not do it to be commended though.
I took part to raise money for 4 very worthy causes is all.

No one to my knowledge would stand on an MX5 Bonnet ! They are only made of lightweight aluminium after all and I weigh 16 stone.

I deny being disparaging as I was far too dissapointed to be disparaging !

I also think the writer of the above quote will find we ALL have to work for a living.

I rattled no cans, I carried no buckets as I too hate pressurised collection techniques.
Yes I did give of my time, and I am also contributing a donation of ?100 this evening, so if this action makes me seem sanctimonious ?
I am proud to be labeled thus thank you XXX

Would I drive all those miles again ? You bet I would. :lol:
Would I enjoy it as much if I did this a second time ? You bet I would. :lol:

I met some great MX5 owners, lots of them, on the road and at the National Meeting.
I met some who gave and some who did not for whatever reason they had.
I also met some who gave lots and gave more again later.
I also met a very young girl who gave all her pocket money for that week which brought a tear to this old mans eyes !
Sort of puts the whole thing in perspective I think.

I will say no more on this matter as it is over.
The run is completed.
It has been done.
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby grouse » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:50 pm

I can't fault the sentiments expressed by Turbocharged225 - reading the English forum (where it first appeared) helped.

I would not wish to be criticised if I elected to walk past a "Big Issue" seller or someone selling something for their chosen charity.

Maybe it's time somebody said something.....

I joined the OC to enjoy the car and the company - people who set examples in all that they say and do.
grouse

Postby sparkly » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:59 pm

I haven't had time to look at the national forum, just what has been so 'sanctimoniously' copied on to this one. If Mack tried to stir up a bit of interest fairly forcefully in giving donations, he was I'm very sure only doing that for the best of reasons, ie you ain't gonna 'sell' much if you don't advertise and there's no 'word of mouth' to get that cash in hand.

I don't think it anything like amounted to the kind of moral blackmail being suggested here. :shock:

I'd like to congratulate LLM & HT for everything they've achieved and say that whatever anyone's perception may be, nothing can take away from what they've done, ie got up off their a***s instead of just opinionating after the fact like the rest of us.

You guys were so low-key on the actual day I missed you going!
sparkly

Sparlky

Postby loftladderman » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:43 pm

So eloquently put Ma'am LOL

Re leaving the meet quietly.
We arrived with a clap of thunder and sloped off quietly to do what we had to do :-)
Raise more brass and meet even more MX5 owners along the way :-)

Sorry I did not see you and Anne to say Byeeeeeeeeee :-(
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

FROM AL in Cornwall

Postby loftladderman » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:21 pm

COPIED HERE AT HIS REQUEST:

I have arrived in Cornwall and am sat at the Computer reading all the fantastic posts that have been placed with a few tears in my eyes!!!!

The ?team? Mack, Jim, Ben, Chris and myself have had an excellent time throughout this venture and have made lots of new ?friends? who through their efforts have made this run a success!! Everyone who donated or made a collection for us deserves a huge vote of thanks so THANKS!!!!!

I understand that some people could not or did not want to contribute! I request that no more ?anti? posts are made on this subject. It is a free country so please remember all the good bits of the event!

The sum collected at the moment looks very small, but we know of more monies that are coming in that will give more respectability to the final total!!

I will write more tomorrow, but just something for you all to ponder!

We are doing something next year
It is BIG
We need help
Yes we are mad!!!!!

Again a big THANK YOU ALL
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Re: Charity donations.

Postby Si » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:35 pm

turbocharged225 wrote:The following was posted on the UK forum.........

..... and you felt the need to copy it here because?

I notice you only have 2 posts to your name ..... is this because you are a new user, or a more prominent poster trying to hide your true identity? I guess we'll never know.

The beauty with forums is that you can pick and choose what you want to read. If you read a post that is, to the best of your knowledge, wrong/incorrect, then by all means put forward a reasonable reply. If you don't like something you read, it is best ignored.

Mack, Jim ...... good job!!

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby BillB » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:49 pm

Just got into the National Site ( doesn't it crawl? ) to read the comments that seem to have started this thread.

I had the pleasure of passing Mac and the guys ( in the opposite direction of course :D there is no way I could have passed him going in the same direction if the photo is anything to go by :shock: ).

I applaud what they have achieved and think they have done a fantastic job, and all credit to them. Well done lads.

I tend to agree with some of the other comments though not all. I saw this one on the National Forum and it did not seem fitting at all:

"Plus thanks to all the others who took part in stages of the drive, and to those who dug deep and made a contribution.
I hope those who didn't donate feel guilty, and shameful for not doing so.

Mac and the guys who took part in the run deserve all of the credit and praise being heaped on them, but members who did not donate, for whatever reason, do not need comments like this, and probably feel justifiably annoyed.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Si » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:46 pm

BillB wrote:"Plus thanks to all the others who took part in stages of the drive, and to those who dug deep and made a contribution.
I hope those who didn't donate feel guilty, and shameful for not doing so.

Mac and the guys who took part in the run deserve all of the credit and praise being heaped on them, but members who did not donate, for whatever reason, do not need comments like this, and probably feel justifiably annoyed.

It's worth pointing out that the quote you've given above was made by someone who didn't have anything to do with the organising of the run.

http://mx5ocforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=86281#86281

Si
Si

Postby Si » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:23 am

I see no point in allowing this topic to continue. If you have any problems with it being locked please PM me.

Si
Si

Return to General Chat