Back again!

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Re: Back again!

Postby John H » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Recently had a day out in Englandshire with two old pals who have both bought 30AE cars, both ex Porsche owners like me too!

Made for an interesting convoy!

20190821_144057rr.jpg
John H

Postby IanH » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:39 am

All Soft Tops so proper MX-5's :D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Enjay » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:43 am

I do like the 30AE. I had a sit in one at Sir Arnold's place when my car was in. Very nice. I think that the orange looks great close-up.

However the one that I looked at hadn't been painted very well. On parts of the body I could see an artefact of poor spraying (somewhat ironically) known as orange-peel. You know, a slight unevenness giving a hint of the same kind of texture as (you've guessed it) an orange. It was the RF version and the worst paint was on the inside moving roof panels adjacent to the rear window (especially on the nearside one).
Enjay

Postby John H » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Enjay wrote:I do like the 30AE. I had a sit in one at Sir Arnold's place when my car was in. Very nice. I think that the orange looks great close-up.

However the one that I looked at hadn't been painted very well. On parts of the body I could see an artefact of poor spraying (somewhat ironically) known as orange-peel. You know, a slight unevenness giving a hint of the same kind of texture as (you've guessed it) an orange. It was the RF version and the worst paint was on the inside moving roof panels adjacent to the rear window (especially on the nearside one).

You surprise me. I spent the day with these two cars and studied them both very closely and the one thing that struck me was the quality of the paintwork. The paint did not seem that thick, but it was incredibly even, one of the best paint finishes I've ever seen on a production car. The pictures do not do justice to either the finish or colour tone of the paint. I also have looked closely at my white one, and even that has an exceptionally good paint finish for the money.

I have however seen an RF 30AE in a showroom with a gouge out of the paint on the rear bumper, obviously damaged in transit, which of course will no doubt be patched up in a spray booth which is highly unlikely to achieve the same quality. Perhaps the panel you saw had been repaired by the dealer.

20190821_153632rr.jpg

IMG_20190821_110745rr.jpg
John H

Postby John H » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:13 pm

On the journey back from Perth the sunlight on the Lomonds caught my eye so I stopped for a snap.

20190905_153941rr.jpg
John H

Postby John H » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:35 am

I wonder what Jim Clark, who was famously fond of his original Lotus Elan, would have made of its modern successor.

Perhaps though if the MX5 is good enough for Walter Rohrl to buy one with his own money, it would be nice to think he would also have approved.

MX5 at Kilmany (2)rr.jpg
John H

Postby OldSpice » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:20 pm

I think Jim Clark, as usual for him, would have made an ND do things to give Hiroshima's expectations a shock.
I think he would have relished one, then set about making it...better.

Flashed a nice white ND 8) just south of Tarbert this afternoon...got a flash & a wave?
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby John H » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:42 pm

OldSpice wrote:
Flashed a nice white ND 8) just south of Tarbert this afternoon...got a flash & a wave?

Wisnae me, I'm afraid, :shock: although I did wave to a couple on my travels through Perthshire today.
John H

Postby OldSpice » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 am

I suspected not if I'm honest
It was going far far too bl**dy fast for that particualr bit of road...but they still managed to respond.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Previous

Return to General Chat