Space saver Wheel - MX5 Parts

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Space saver Wheel - MX5 Parts

Postby special k » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Afternoon

In case you are not aware. I have just received my monthly e-mail from MX5 parts & noticed that they are selling a space saver wheel for the NC series.

Its £168.95 incl VAT. Perhaps someone on here may know of an alternative or cheaper variation.

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/roadhero-spac ... -4144.html

Hope the link works

Steven
special k
OC Member
Steven Kilpatrick
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Space saver Wheel - MX5 Parts

Postby Enjay » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Any idea if these would also suit the ND? I'm assuming not because MX5Parts doesn't list it as such. I'm not even sure if one would fit in the boot to be honest.

I much prefer a real tyre (even if it is a space-saver) over the compressor+slime approach. The last two times we had punctures with our cars were because we hit something (a rock that rolled off a wall as my wife was driving by and a piece of metal hidden in some flood water that I was driving through). On both occasions, the wheel was damaged so the compressor+slime would not have helped. Fortunately, we had spare wheels. The flood one was particularly important because it was towards the end of a long drive in the dark and torrential rain and I just wanted to get home. 10 minutes at the roadside and I had an emergency wheel on and was able to be one my way (albeit very wet). Plus I believe tyre fitters hate the slime. Warn them before they take the tyre off if you have used it.

I've always wondered what happens if you drive a 2 seater car with huge wheels and a space-saver spare but little or no boot space and you have a puncture while carrying a passenger. Where does the tyre that you took off go?

Anyway, sorry for a bit of off topicness. If there is a cheaper alternative (for the ND in my case), I too would be interested to hear about it.

[edit] Real off topicness - those 20% VAT listings really sting. I know it applies to (almost) everything but to see it laid out like that in black and white (er white, orange and blue) really drives it home how much we are paying. [/edit]
Enjay

Postby IanH » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:06 pm

ND wheel is 4 hole vs 5 hole for NC

I believe NA and NB wheels fit the ND, checking for clearances etc.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:29 pm

There is another Japanese car that has a space saver that fits the NC and discussion always got round to what you did with a 17", nearer real 24" diameter wheel and 7 in wide, that came off the car when you were away from home with a packed boot. probably on a wet day.

One option was a boot rack but the RC Coupe legally I think, cannot have that due to the third brake light but I think there was a way round that.

I think the ND bootlid is worse weight capacity wise for holding a spare wheel.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Bob the Train » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:03 am

drumtochty wrote:One option was a boot rack but the RC Coupe legally I think, cannot have that due to the third brake light but I think there was a way round that.

There are a few solutions on TalkMorgan
Bob the Train
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Bob

On the RC Coupe you can get a bootrack with an integral third boot light I found or you could make your own and wire it into a plug that is easy to unplug.

The MX5 problem is on the NC or Mk3 Roadster Coupe or the new ND or Mk4 RF there is worry about the fancy folding roofs hitting the bags on the rack or fixings when they are being operated.

The ND I think can only bear 10kg including the rack.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat