The prodigal...

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

The prodigal...

Postby Enjay » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 pm

So, I've been MX5 free for a couple of years now ever since I let my Mk1 go.

I've been driving (and enjoying) an MR2 Roadster. Mid engined fun. Quite different and a bit more room in the driver's seat ('cause I'm quite tall).

Anyway, a few weeks back I posted that I'd spotted my old car at a show ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15022&p=99222 ) and that got me hankering to sit in a 5 again. Purely out of nosiness, I went along to Arnold Clark in Aberdeen and sat in a launch edition spec RF. Disappointingly, I found it too small. No matter what I did with the seat, I couldn't get myself enough leg room.

I had a quick chat with the salesman but it looked like that was that. However, he suggested I try sitting in one of the other vehicles without the Recaro seats and there's just a little more room in them. It was just about time for me to trade in my Nissan Juke so I asked for a test drive in both the 1.5 and the 2.0 litre and, long story short, I now have a RF. I have to admit, I've pretty much pushed myself to what I can afford with this and replacing the nice, big practical Juke with a 2 seater may raise some eyebrows but, well, it's done now and I'm happy. :)

Reading posts on here, I understand that string backed gloves should be my next purchase which will be worn accompanied by a grumpy face and I will never raise the gloves off the steering wheel to wave at anyone. :lol: [Actually, I was a bit late with a wave today. A mk3 waved at me in Peterculter and I almost missed it because it looked as if something was being carried on the back and I was trying to figure out what it was (I couldn't). I did wave though.]

Anyway, if any of you have taken the white RF at Arnold Clark's out for a test drive, I hope you didn't thrash it too much because it's mine now. :D

I'm also keeping my MR2 for the moment because it's old enough for me to tinker with and not worry about doing so. However, I will have to consider garaging arrangements because I can only get one car under cover and the MR2 doesn't respond well to being left out but it's worth a lot less than my 5.
Last edited by Enjay on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Re: The prodigal...

Postby Enjay » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 pm

While I'm at it, I'm entitled to map updates for the sat nav system. Such new fangled things weren't on the Mk1. Anyway, I've downloaded the update toolbox and inserted the SD card into my computer but all I get from the program is:

[edited to make picture a better size for the forum]

Having done a quick google, this does not seem to be a rare problem. Anyone on here experienced it and (even better) solved it?
Last edited by Enjay on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Postby IanH » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:52 am

:shock:

That's a big step indeed, welcome back to the fold :D

There has been a recent map release and when everyone tries to download it around the same time it can be troublesome, persistence generally pays off I have found.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Enjay » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks. :)

It's definitely quite a step from both my Mk1 and from my Juke. A very nice step. I still really like the Mk1 of course (and, for that matter, my Juke - I really had to think hard about trading it in). I was sorely tempted to buy a Mk1 just a few weeks ago. There was a nice looking California limited edition at the Glamis motor extravaganza that the owner was selling and it was going for what seemed to be a very good price; then I remembered why I gave up my first one. I wasn't massively uncomfortable in a Mk1 (I drove mine for years) but I had been uncomfortable enough to eventually trade it in and for me to decide not to get another one. However, I like them so much that I'm not saying "never again". I have to admit, in some ways I prefer having an older car that I can tinker with and I like the relative lack of sophistication about them too so that was part of the appeal of the California, plus I love yellow cars. The MR2has most of that pretty well covered though.

Browsing the Mazda Navigation site, I thought that a map data update might have been released in July and that might be causing extra traffic through the update program. My car was officially registered on March 1st (yay, lower Tax laws apply) so it probably doesn't have the July update. There's no urgency. I'll wait a bit. Perhaps things will quieten down. However, it does seem as if this has been a problem for quite some time so it really should be addressed by Mazda/the Nav data provider or whoever is responsible for the servers in question IMO. I also have a Garmin and they seem to cope with their map update downloads well enough and I'm guessing have much more traffic. Mind you, I'm probably trying to compare apples and oranges there. As someone with a passing interest in computing/programming, there's nothing worse when someone says "but I can run [insert program name here] so your one should run too".

As a fellow Mk4 owner, any tips for the new car?

Also, is it my imagination or are things a little quieter around here than they used to be? There seems to be a little bit less back and forth chit-chat.
Enjay

Postby OldSpice » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 am

Well done. Have a look at what Eddie and Ian did with Ian's car. Were it me I'd make it a priority.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 am

I did a fully undersealed of two Mk4's, due to the Photobucket ransom thing you can no longer see the pictures on the thread.

I will re host the pictures and post a link in the next week but if this car is a keeper get the underseal done. On the other hand if moving it on in three or four years from now save your money.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Enjay » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:48 am

Undersealing, interesting.

Is rust a problem particularly anticipated with these or is it more that undersealing a new car is good practice by default?

I'm not sure about the long term plans for the car. It may well be a keeper. In which case, long term protection from the elements would definitely be a good idea.
Enjay

Postby OldSpice » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Enjay wrote:Undersealing, interesting.

Is rust a problem particularly anticipated with these or is it more that undersealing a new car is good practice by default?

I'm not sure about the long term plans for the car. It may well be a keeper. In which case, long term protection from the elements would definitely be a good idea.

Interesting indeed, and more. Really depends how you will use it and if it's a keeper. Lots of potential future rot traps, unprotected metals, and let's not mention the sticky tape. Equally, the reason why they are similar prices to an old Jasper Conran mk2........is built by engineers with bean counters looking over their shoulders. Can't have a cake and eat it. What's the worst that can happen, insofar come sale time I'd buy yours first....... Or Ian's.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Enjay » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm

I'd be really interested to see the pictures from the thread that drumtochty mentioned then.

However, the thought of pulling apart a brand new, expensive motor to do it myself does fill me with fear. With the Mk1 I'd have just dived in there and got on with it. In fact, I pretty much did as I recall. :mrgreen: Anyone know of someone or somewhere that does it for a reasonable price? I've heard of a place in... Paisley I think but they're in Paisley and I'm not.

Also, is there any implication for warranty with doing this? i.e. if the Mazda service people get under the car and find everything covered in black goo will it cause a problem?

[edit]This is the place I was talking about: http://www.preserveprotect.co.uk/ [/edit]
Enjay

Postby IanH » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 am

Preserve and protect will do an excellent job for you for around £550 or so.

A self protect job will cost you time and materials, it's far from difficult to strip out the underside liners to do this.

I'm not sure how DIY or someone else doing it will affect the warranty of the car, if something fails it is the part in question and whether it has been touched, unlikely in the case of what you need to protect the car.

Yes it's a lot quiter here, forums have had their day or so it seems, FB will give you a platform, whether it provides the quality is a different matter..
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Enjay » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:49 pm

To be fair, if they do a thorough job (and it seems like they do), £550 seems like a pretty reasonable price; not that I have that cash just lying around right now. However, it'd be nice to try and get it done before the car gets too much exposure to the elements (and the compounds - specifically H20 and NaCl ;) ).

Shame about the forums becoming quiet. The Scottish forum was a really nice, active little place and, even now, still has a nice "vibe" to it. I always found it generally more friendly, useful and relevant than the national one. I don't really need to hear about a meet in Portsmouth or whatever. I'm not a huge fan of Facebook myself, even though I do have an account. I'll probably pop along to the page and see what's what there though.

In other news, the navigation update program worked without a hitch today. I did notice, however, that the SD card in my car has something like 7.5GB capacity and the size of the data files now totals a little over 7GB. If the files get much bigger, they won't fit on the card.
Enjay

Postby drumtochty » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 pm

ND4 Underseal how to with new hosting of photos.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14302&p=96059#p96059
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 pm

drumtochty wrote:ND4 Underseal how to with new hosting of photos.

http://mx5scotland.co.uk/board2/viewtop ... 059#p96059

Reminds me we need to get the bumper covers off before too long and get in about there and also look in some other areas and see what two years have done!
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby drumtochty » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Agreed not working in August and September so it is a case of catching me when we are not out on the bikes or away in the MX. If this rain keeps on that's any day!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Enjay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:51 am

That's a very interesting and very comprehensive write-up, thank you. The ability to get the car up on a proper lift obviously makes a huge difference to how difficult/easy the job is. With my Mk1, I did most of the work with the car sitting on axle stands and me shuffling around on my back with a face full of Dinitrol. :lol:

I might give Preserve and Protect a shout to see what they are saying too. If I do and I get any interesting feedback from them, I'll let folks here know.
Enjay

Postby OldSpice » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Enjay wrote:That's a very interesting and very comprehensive write-up, thank you. The ability to get the car up on a proper lift obviously makes a huge difference to how difficult/easy the job is. With my Mk1, I did most of the work with the car sitting on axle stands and me shuffling around on my back with a face full of Dinitrol. :lol:

I might give Preserve and Protect a shout to see what they are saying too. If I do and I get any interesting feedback from them, I'll let folks here know.

Bear in mind,
Eddie, at no extra charge, will send you back out with the SuperLight ND. :shock:
http://i.imgur.com/6IH9QUx.jpg
OldSpice

Postby Enjay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:36 pm

:lol:

I mean, I like driving with the top down but that would leave me a bit too exposed to the elements.
Enjay

Return to General Chat