Mx5 RF ... a road test

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Mx5 RF ... a road test

Postby John H » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Finally had the opportunity to try an RF properly and committed some thoughts to writing

http://www.arthurlea.com/Stories/MX5RF/index.htm

Only my opinion of course, but I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has bought one or driven one. Agree or disagree?

John H
John H

Re: Mx5 RF ... a road test

Postby Scott_J » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Targa Tinnititus - very interesting comment. Wifes NC 2.0 Sport PRHT is great with the roof down as was our Lotus Elan before. However now that I have an Elise I have the same problem with wind noise. Its so bad that I must wear ear plugs (ex biker myself) and reality that with the fiddly soft top and very little space to store it I just tend to leave the top on all the time .
Scott_J

Postby IanH » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for sharing that, the noise issue from the targa bar is one that has been highlighted in other reviews too.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:26 am

To be honest on this one, most soft top cars virtually never have the soft top down.

MX5's by and large have the hood down more of the time than other soft top cars.

I will stick my neck out here and say I reckon that RF owners will have the top off less often than other MX5 owners and that the majority of these cars will be used as Coupe's.

Similar to a couple in the village she had a 2002 Mk2.5 and he had a 1999 BMW Z3 for 7 years. They each had the hood down on their cars on one occassion. They got rid of their soft top cars in 2014 and now have one tintop car.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby John H » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Sadly Eddie I think you have hit the nail on the head. I suspect most RF owners will live in urban areas where the hard roof is a blessing, and on the rare occasions they drop the roof will never have the opportunity to exceed the dizzy heights of 50 mph anyway, so the glaring design fault in this otherwise terrific little car will go unnoticed.

I had been thinking about chopping in both my MX5 NC and my 10 year old Porsche Cayman for one of these, but this flaw is a deal breaker for me.
John H

Postby Snapper Mike » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:50 pm

Nice review John. I enjoy my top down most of the time so for me an RF is a none starter if it suffers from so much noise at speed. I enjoyed your writings.
MK3.5 2.0L Sport Tech, Stormy Blue.
Snapper Mike
OC Member
Mike Wilkinson
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat