North Coast 500 newspaper article

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

North Coast 500 newspaper article

Postby JimF » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:48 pm

An interesting article in The Times. It seems that the North Coast 500 could be a victim of its own success. Local people are upset at being stuck behind car convoys and congestion on single track roads in the summer, single track road surfaces damaged due to increased traffic volume and for increased visitor numbers a lack of accommodation and eating places. It would be a shame if this great driving route suffers due to a lack of investment but in this age of public cut backs, who pays the bill.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/touri ... -rvsq9hnhf
JimF
OC Member
Jim Ford
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: North Coast 500 newspaper article

Postby drumtochty » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:54 pm

I recon in a year or so most people will have ticked it off on their list of things to do.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Scott_J » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:37 am

on the Scottish Elise forum its already dead for driving, clogged with caravans and 40ers. Spring, Autumn, and 5am starts only, for a blast . Still doable in 2 days I'm told ; )
Forget the summer and 9-5 hours .
I've done all the parts individually a few times over the years in different sports-cars but always wanted to join them up. Maybe not now unless I go for the 36 hour option :P
Scott_J

Postby dougaberdeen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:43 pm

Have to say we did the route last year and couldn't say we were held up at all for any great length apart from the odd highland cow or sheep, we weren't really travelling quickly as we wanted to take everything in and did it over 5 days but there were long periods where there was virtually nothing else on the road

well worth doing, parts of the route offer quite stunning scenery
dougaberdeen

Return to General Chat