Fiat 124 Spider

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Fiat 124 Spider

Postby John H » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:54 pm

This was launched this morning, a re-hash of the new MX5 of course, so I thought I’d take a look and a drive.

Much prettier in the metal than I had expected from the photographs, it certainly has captured that retro vibe nicely. Reminds me a bit of an old MGB. The interior is almost totally lifted from the MX5, but details changed enough to make it arguably a nicer place to be, and if anything the seats are a little less cramped. It is easy enough to drive, rides well and cruises smoothly.

But ... the 1.4 Multiair turbo engine is a big disappointment. Sure, it pulls quite briskly and sweetly once above 3,000 rpm, but there is yawning chasm of lag below that figure where the engine feels totally dead. Not great for manoeuvring in traffic, as the pick up is non-existent. A long time since I drove such an old fashioned turbo engine. The longer body overhangs make the car feel a bit heavier and less wieldy, especially as it seems to be on quite soft and under damped suspension. It has nothing like the precision instrument feel of the latest Mk4 MX5, and even my old Mk3 felt more precise when I got back in it. I hate to say it, but it feels like a sports car for non-drivers.

So, a pretty car with some dynamic shortcomings, I’m sure it will sell well on looks but to a subtly different audience than the Mazda, but only if they drop the quite steep list prices. I suspect that will be taken care of by heavy discounting once the initial novelty wears off.
John H

Re: Fiat 124 Spider

Postby IanH » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Might pop down to my local Fiat dealer in my ND and see if they will let me in the 124...
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby John H » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:14 pm

IanH wrote:Might pop down to my local Fiat dealer in my ND and see if they will let me in the 124...

Every dealership should have a demo car, so it should be straightforward. As an ND owner, I'll be keen to see if you agree with my judgement.
John H

Postby ozzbozzuk1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:47 pm

just had a test drive in a 124 spider lusso . i have to agree with john car is lovely in the metal and the leather seats seem nicer quality than the mx5 .The car is just very sluggish until turbo kicks in, and not as nice to drive as mx5 when pulling away from standstill .The garage had a 124 Abarth which is not being launched for 2 weeks so i booked a test drive. They did start it for me to hear the exaust note amazing but at nearly £30,000 it should be.
ALAN
ozzbozzuk1

Postby ozzbozzuk1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:42 pm

Arnold Clark in paisley is already discounting 124 spider. 124 lusso which has leather and heated seats and sat nav for just under £21,000 or for lusso plus which adds bose sound system and led lights for just under £22.000.
ozzbozzuk1

Postby John H » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:20 pm

ozzbozzuk1 wrote:Arnold Clark in paisley is already discounting 124 spider. 124 lusso which has leather and heated seats and sat nav for just under £21,000 or for lusso plus which adds bose sound system and led lights for just under £22.000.

Typical Arnold, pile em high and flog em cheap. Depreciation starts right here.
John H

Postby OldSpice » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:48 am

John H wrote:
ozzbozzuk1 wrote:Arnold Clark in paisley is already discounting 124 spider. 124 lusso which has leather and heated seats and sat nav for just under £21,000 or for lusso plus which adds bose sound system and led lights for just under £22.000.

Typical Arnold, pile em high and flog em cheap. Depreciation starts right here.

Yup.
Which is why patience is most certainly a virtue.
Like...2/3 years! :wink:
Not read any glowing reports yet regarding the turbo for much the same as you said...perhaps the (expensive) Abarth is a different kettle of fish.
At this rate....it needs to be.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby sarahlc » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:00 pm

For those who are interested in a comparison between the ND and the 124 see this is video from Motor trend, a bit American but a reasonable review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFuuAfYdnw

They seem to confirm the OP's observations. I noticed in the video some very strange noises coming from the turbo charged unit. I think the fiat is ugly with to much over hang at both ends.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat