MK3 Owners beware !

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

MK3 Owners beware !

Postby softmc » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi

Had my 2006 1.8 MK3 for 5 months now had some real fun in it so far but following advice from other experienced forum members decided to do some rust proofing through the winter months , I had noticed some 1p size corrosion on the O/S rear wheel arch (all other arches looked fine , so decided to inspect further under the rear wheel arch covers, this is what I found

the grommet has been removed and the inner wheel arch has mot broken through until I poked it whih my screw driver I honestly didint want to keep poking about but it was so thin that I kept on removing the thin rusty area until I was left with this

The good thing is I could now see inside the sill and some of the innersill which has some corrosion but nothing extreme , so next I took it to my local mechanic who welded it up and sealed it with waxoyl . I will continue rubbing down and sealing the rest of the underbody during the winter but had A good look under while it was up on the garage ramp and there doesnt seem to be much else wrong so maybe £100 for welding a new plate and spending some time sealing the rest will keep the wee car going for a few years
Just thought I Would share as obviously there are issues lurking in other MK3S

cheers D
softmc

Re: MK3 Owners beware !

Postby drumtochty » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Good Post softmc.

Food for thought for Mk3 owners there.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns