Time for a mk3?

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Re: Time for a mk3?

Postby pablo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Yes I agree the Mk1 is the rawest of the MX5's however I fancy trying something different whether that be the mk3 or the other marques I've mentioned. The search continues...... :wink:
(1) Eunos V-spec type II - SOLD to forum member 'OldSpice'
(2) Eunos '89 standard spec SOLD
(3) MX5 mk1 1.6 with turbo conversion SOLD
(4) Eunos G-Ltd. Original and keeping it that way
pablo

Postby John H » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:23 pm

I recently sold my Mk1 and bought a Mk3.5, almost on a whim, so here are my thoughts.

The Mk 1 was great, a simple elegant little sports car, I loved it, but in modern traffic I was always aware that it was nearly 25 years old, and at times it felt it. I very much used it as a "weekend" car, and did not really put that many miles on it, again in deference to its age. With the Mk3.5 you can certainly feel the lineage, but you also very much feel that two decades have passed, and it is a much more modern car. I immediately used it all summer as my daily driver, and promptly whacked 8,000 miles on it, as it is just so useable. I have no qualms about using it in modern traffic, and therein lies the big difference for me. I loved every mile I did this summer, and I would recommend a good Mk3 to anyone, albeit taking good heed of the advice about rust and condition offered already in this thread.

I also happen to own and run a 2006 Porsche Cayman 2.7, another great car, and while I would not put you off buying an older cheaper Boxster, I would advise caution. The Boxster/Cayman is a much more complex car that the MX5, not surprising really as it was always twice the price. I know that there are now sub £5k Boxsters out there, and the law of averages suggests that there will be a few good ones, but be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your Prince! I've looked at a few cheap Boxsters and have usually recoiled in horror at what are gaping money pits just waiting to trap the unwary buyer. They need good maintenance (ask me how I know!) and as they get cheaper they don't get it, and the problems multiply. Tread very warily!
John H

Postby drumtochty » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:40 pm

Yes with the price of a tidy Mk3 near say £3.5 to £4.5 k there is no where for the Mk2 and Mk1 to go but down unless you get a minter Mk1.

We are starting to get to the point with Mk1's that they are now suffering age failures with mechanical and electrical components not wear but just getting old.

5 years from now it will be the same with the Mk4 getting cheaper but they are so full of sensors.

If you do a track day on one without putting on an oil cooler they go into limp home mode as the oil temperature goes well over 230C and the ecu says enough.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby pablo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:49 pm

John H wrote:I recently sold my Mk1 and bought a Mk3.5, almost on a whim, so here are my thoughts.

I loved every mile I did this summer, and I would recommend a good Mk3 to anyone, albeit taking good heed of the advice about rust and condition offered already in this thread.

I also happen to own and run a 2006 Porsche Cayman 2.7, another great car, and while I would not put you off buying an older cheaper Boxster, I would advise caution. The Boxster/Cayman is a much more complex car that the MX5, not surprising really as it was always twice the price. I know that there are now sub £5k Boxsters out there, and the law of averages suggests that there will be a few good ones, but be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your Prince! I've looked at a few cheap Boxsters and have usually recoiled in horror at what are gaping money pits just waiting to trap the unwary buyer. They need good maintenance (ask me how I know!) and as they get cheaper they don't get it, and the problems multiply. Tread very warily!
I

I'm already talking myself out of the Porsche because I'd always have that 'hope nothing expensive is about to fail!' feeling while driving it. I already get that to some extent when driving my wife's VW Touareg :shock: The cockpit of the BMW may feel too familiar to my own 3 series so it would seem a (relatively) rust free mk3 is the way to go I think
pablo

Postby pablo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:30 pm

Been keeping my eye on cars for sale in the usual places for the last couple of weeks and I can't believe that even the MK3's are starting to show rust in the familiar places already. I know cars of the 70's, 80's and later it was an accepted practice but in this day and age come on Mazda, get with the program! :cry:
pablo

Postby drumtochty » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Yes that is why I rustproofed the second Mk4 in the past few weeks today.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:05 pm

pablo wrote: I can't believe that even the MK3's are starting to show rust in the familiar places already.:

Harsh fact or car life sad to say.Time flies..it's scary. Now even Mk3's are knocking on 10 years old, so it's to be expecterd of mass produced mild steel vehicles with bare lip service to (sometimes) structural longevity. Favourite bit in Mk3's is behind those ruddy plastic skirts aroound the sill/rear lower arch area. I've seen two pretty bad examples so far, one accident damage so they had to be removed. Naturally, it's a salt/crud trap. I see other manufacturers' products prematurely (?) rusting these days just as young. However Mazda are right up there on the front line of Crumblebum. Arm yourself with a torch & a magnet. :lol:
But you are right...even Astras appear to be bottom-half zinced. Hey ho. :roll:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby slartibartfast » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:21 am

Hi Pablo. Long time no speak :-)

We have had a Mk1 (1.8) a Mk2 (1.6) a 2008 MK3 RC which we changed for a 2012 MK3 RC

We had the MK2 and the MK3 at the same time so back to back I'd agree the Mk2 was nice and simple and revvy and felt great fun but the day to day practicality and relative civilisation of the MK3 was good to have.

Before replacing the 2008 MK3 RC we tried a Boxster ....and I really loved it but it was a lot of money and running costs would be a lot higher. I also worried about a Porsche being more of a "target". Tried a SLK but wasn't too keen. Tried a Z4 and liked it but after slinging the MK3 round the tiny wee backroads on a treasure hunt decided we liked the go-cart like MK3 even more than the more grown up Z4.

We really liked the MK4 but no hard electric roof and no glove-box (other than having an aversion to buying new cars) put us off. they might "improve" it in a couple of years :-)

Good luck :-)

PS I still have the VFR in the garage needing restoration. It's accompanied by a 2004 R1200GS and a KTM 990 SMT :-)
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby pablo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi Slartibartfast

It's good to hear you're still biking. That must be one of the earlier R1200GS' as my 1150 was a 2002. I'm sure you're enjoying it. Got a R1150R now which is ideal for me at the moment (although the oil filter is putting up a major fight to come off just now :evil: ). Anyway I digress. It's interesting to read your review of those cars. The SLK isn't in the running as I'm not that keen. If I can stretch to a 2.0 mk3 that would probably be ideal.
pablo

Postby slartibartfast » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi Pablo yes still liking the bikes. I've had the GS since 2007. BMW do a great job of making real-world bikes. The GS is fab on bumpy crappy Scottish roads :-) I got the KTM this year. I tried assorted other types but nothing floated my boat (other than another newer GS) until I had a shot on the KTM. It feels like a revvy 1000cc V twin in 125 chasis !. Great fun :-)

For the MK3 there is little difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 in real-world terms. We went for the flippy electric hard top which is a 2.0L sport as it was a daily driver including winter. If you see a good ragtop 1.8 at the right price it will be every bit as much fun as anything else.

Following Larry through the Alps in his 1.8 other than the gear-changes being different (as the 1.8 has 5 speed box , my 2.0 Sport had a 6 speed box) there was no noticeable power difference
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby pablo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:57 am

So here's a dilemma - I noticed two MX5's online which caught my eye for different reasons. The first is a black 2006 MK3 with 77k miles and a part service history for £2600. 1.8 engine in standard trim i.e. no leather or heated seats. Stone chips on the lower front bumper and rust at the indicator on the wing. Remote central locking doesn't work but that's not a big issue. The second car is a silver 2002 MK2 'sport' with 45k miles and FSH. 1.8 engine with leather, heated seats and hardtop for £2500. Everything works on this one.

I haven't been to see either yet as they aren't exactly local and I know I said 'Time for a mk3' but the MK2 could be a good investment if the arches and sills turn out to be in decent order. Thoughts please
pablo

Postby slartibartfast » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:07 am

IMHO go with your gut !. Now that may be what you think is the best "value" (substitute in whatever you think constitutes "value" :-) )

My thought is the MK3 isn't "better" it's just more civilised ...but I enjoyed our early MK2 which we owned at the same time as we owned a MK3 just as much. The Mk2 was just a bit more simple and light, (1.6 mk2 v MK3 2.0 RC Sport) but the Mk3 had more toys and was more grown up ;-)
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby OldSpice » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:45 am

Mk2.5 Pablo. Arguably one of the finest 5s to be let loose out of Hiroshima
Tons more fully-loaded bang for the bucks. Decent performance if you rev it's nuts off with it's 146-ish bhp, epic stoppers, and if geo'd properly with pukkah rubber, equally epic through the twisties. 6 speeder can be a notchy pain, but better with Castrol full synth in it.
That year has the last of the tough LSDs. From 2003 sometime they were made of cheese if abused at MOT time.

Provided the rear cills, arches, the engine bay chassis rails "appear" solid, :evil: and you do all the old car checks you are perfectly aware of, it's a no brainer.
In my view, I'd wager 8 out of 10 Mk2's have a rot issue somewhere, some perfectly sortable, and some mobile scrappage often without owners knowing it.

If the rear arches & sills look "a bit sales-speak bubbly"...this is what likely lies beneath.

If the chassis rails show significant "surface corrosion", especially around the ARB mounts, here is what is on it's way.

Equally, early Mk3's are revealling inner rear wing & sill rot, windscreen valance rot, behind grill rot and scattered rot spots as you have pointed out and the paint is as durable as hot custard.The 1800 Mk3 has in my opinion( I've driven a couple or 3 over the years) barely adequate performance given it's got the same power as my :wink: Mk1. If the Mk3 is OEM "jacked up" and has not been Eibach'ed etc, it's handling may leave you disappointed. Nothing against Mk3's mind...the Z Sport is just one I'd have tomorrow. The Mk2.5 cockpit is a quality place to be as well with the best quality plastics & leather they did. At £2.5 even including the HT K it needs to be top book these days.

If you want, PM me and as long as it's not Dahn Saff or summat, I'll meet up with you for a viewing.
I'll bring our Sport for an AB comparison too. If the wife will give me the bloody keys. :cry:
It won't need to be raining either..dry weather use only now. :roll:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby OldSpice » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:19 am

PM'd you Pablo.
OldSpice

Postby pablo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:31 pm

So now that the rush on Christmas is over I can now focus on the search for a mk3. I've decided I'd quite like the roadster coupe rather than soft top and have seen a 56 reg 2.0 Sport advertised with 36k miles on the clock. Downside is it's number plate starts with 'S' which means it's spent it's days in Scotland so more prone to rust compared to down south direction. :roll:

Anyone had any problems with the electric roofs on these? Anything in particular to look for on a roadster over and above the normal checks one would carry out for the convertible?
pablo

Postby slartibartfast » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Nothing extra I am aware of Pablo. Our Scottish 40K miles 2008 RC Sport seemed rust free ... until I spotted a blister at the offside front indicator on the wing.

I haven't heard of many / any roof problems other than people closing the roof on top of things !
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby drumtochty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:43 pm

The power roofs are trouble free by and large.

From time to time one side of the mechanism goes and to replace and reset the mechanism you need the dealer code reader.

Cost of that fix at least £1,500 as it's new parts and dealer set up.

Only known of a few in the UK and a small number on Miata.net in the states.

Bigger problem and not that common is engine failure and to date no one has put their finger on the failure reason. A number that have had engine failure did not have a low oil level.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby pablo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:18 pm

By the time I'd called about that one it was sold :x

Hey ho. If you're not fast you're last etc etc ..........
pablo

Postby pablo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:40 pm

So I've been having a bit of dialogue with someone on the OC forum about his mk3 and asked him to send me some pics of underneath. At the moment photo bucket is down for maintenance so I can't attach the photos. Hopefully get them on soon and I can get your opinions
pablo

Postby pablo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:54 pm

.....oh and is a Zsport really worth the premium over a standard 2.0 Sport?
pablo

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat