Disintegrating Soft Top

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Disintegrating Soft Top

Postby Rostra » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:32 pm

I have just written the letter below to BAS International, previously recommended to me as suppliers of the best aftermarket hood. Am I right to question their product? How long has your hood lasted?

Dear Sirs,

Order number BAS 01108

On 11/2/10 I bought from you a dark blue soft top for my MX5. This was fitted to the car approximately 6 months later, so has been in place for roughly 5 years.

In the last month it has completely disintegrated, and I attach photos showing the damage, which is rapidly becoming worse.

I live in the Canary Islands during the winter, and use the car mostly with the hood up as the climate is dusty. During the summer the car is parked up and a "cap" cover in place so that the hood is not subject to the summer sun. The hood is therefore only exposed to the equivalent of UK summer sun.

Can you tell me if this is the life expectancy of your hood under normal circumstances, and if there is something else I could have done to protect it. It is normally cleaned with Autoglym products.
Attachments
Mazda roof damage 2 low res.jpg
Mazda roof damage 3 low res.jpg
Rostra

Re: Disintegrating Soft Top

Postby OldSpice » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:51 pm

I note what you say about covering in the summer, however I suspect UV exposure (and perhaps more constant heat the the UK) has dried, or altered, the manufacturing "oils" that occur in plastic everything despite conditioning.
My 7 years old tan hood is on it's last legs (Scotland!) despite lots of TLC. It's gone a weird pinkish colour in patches, and the stitching has wilted.
On the other hand, my wife's( original) 2002 Sport plastic roof is solid.
I've a feeling the response, if you get one, will be fair wear and tear, but I hope not. :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Re: Disintegrating Soft Top

Postby mazda-mender » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:49 am

Because of where you live, there is need to use protection, the vinyl as dried out, and we see this a lot from fresh imports from Japan as their summers are harsh compared to the UK, so all the rubber parish and become brittle and lack of protection as the effect above, just in the same way there is a moss remover for hoods and re water proofer for a reason.
I see it a lot, most owners think that fitting a new hood is the end of it and great, they do need to be taken care of them to last just like the roadster itself and the engine , just a wash every now and then with car shampoo will not do it.
A good hood looked after should last 10 years or so, the low end crap budget hoods far far far less, mohair will be a bit more hard wearing but takes more looking after.
M-m
Mazdamenders.net
Mk 1 1993 black V.S II 1.8 fettled,...a lot
Mk 2 & a 1/4 1999 black & gold V.S 1.8 fettled,...a lot
Mk 2 1999 white V.S 1.8, waiting to be fettled
mazda-mender

Return to General Chat