ALLOYS

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

ALLOYS

Postby BBAV » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi,
I have a set of Alloys that require refurbishing, they have a High Chrome finish, not painted or powder coated.
Can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced Metal Polisher.

Preferably within a 25 mile radius of lanarkshire area.

Thanks.
BBAV.
BBAV

Re: ALLOYS

Postby gm » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:05 pm

there's a chap in carnwath that has a good reputation for refurbish alloys, got to be worth a quick call.
gm

Postby BBAV » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:59 pm

Thanks gm.

There is a chap in at a farm on the way to the village of Forth or past Forth which ever direction you are going in, advertises refurbishing. I assume that is the same chap you have suggested, your geography may just be a wee bit out, or if you are sure it is Carnwath would you have a name or a contact number.

BBAV.
BBAV

Postby OldSpice » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:34 pm

If they are original Mx5 alloys they won't be chrome
They are mirror polished & lacquered with some ltd editions.
Like mine below and later examples eg the Mk2 Trilogy + 20AEs
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby gm » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:46 pm

this is the chap in carnwath

http://alloywheelrepairs.net/awr%20-%20alloy%20wheel%20refurbishment%20&%20alloy%20wheel%20repair%20-%20address.htm

not heard of the guy in Forth, post details if you have them (and if he has a good rep)
gm

Postby OldSpice » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:14 am

This might help too.
http://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html#bolt.

I've no idea how much a decent re-chrome will cost these days (a lot) but I do know bringing these polished alloys & re-lacquering to OEM /show standard is a very expensive business.I was quoted £55 + per wheel 7 years back by a company in Kent..which at the time was the only known Club source who could do it properly...and he knew it too. :wink:Given a new set ( if you can even get them) will rob your wallet of well over a grand, I guess it's still "cheap" if you are determined enough.
The original lacquer is more a very tough "polythene" application than a brittle paint lacquer...which is why many sets have been destroyed over the years by the uninformed attacking them with metal/chrome polish.
A quick NON ACID alloy cleaner preferably watered down 50/50 to get brake dust off, followed by car shampoo & a good waxing is what they need.
You may gather I learned all this OCD alloy blurb at my own cost....every day is a school day. :roll:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Cardo72 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:15 pm

This guy has a great reputation for refurbing BBS splits.....he's in Cardonald.

http://www.the-polisher.com/
Cardo72

Postby cjt66 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:06 pm

As far a I know the guy at Forth does sandblasting and powder coating, not sure if he does polishing.

He's just off the main road going into Forth on the left from Lanark, there is a sign but don't know their name.

If your interested I can find out and ask about his reputation, my brother may know of them

cheers

Colin
94 Mk1 1.6 Mariner Blue
96 Mk1 1.8 Merlot
cjt66

Postby John H » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:04 pm

I had some Mercedes polished alloys which were well knackered, and no one was much interested in re-polishing them. I eventually had them blasted and cleaned and powder coated in chrome effect powder finish, and the results were very good, durable, and a fraction of the cost and hassle of getting them re-polished. I used Fife Powdercoating in Glenrothes. Used them for umpteen wheel, really good and cheap too.
John H

Postby BBAV » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi All,
Since my posting a couple of days ago I have visited the company near Forth they are called Covanhill Powder Coaters. They also do painting & lacquer but they don't do Metal/Alloy polishing, so they couldn't take on the job of refurbing my wheels. What I have now noticed from the websites of the wheel refurbishing companies I have visited, none of them actually do wheel polishing, it's all about shot blasting then undercoat them
then powder coat or paint.

I am going to see "The Polisher" in Cardonald as suggested by cardo72, to find out what process they use.

OldSpice, who refurbished/polished your wheels. (by the way your car looks superb)

BBAV.
BBAV

Postby iainf » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:22 pm

The user

Tuber

on here is a metal polisher, and was at the tech day with the Green mk2 and the shiney Rota Cups. but he is not answering his PMs

Maybe you could speak to board admin to see if they could email him?
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:12 pm

BBAV wrote:Hi All,

OldSpice, who refurbished/polished your wheels. (by the way your car looks superb)

BBAV.

Thanks BBav. :D
Nobody. I just treat them nice as I described above. I almost borked them with Autosol thinking they were chrome when I first got the car 7 years back.
If I'm honest, the photo flatters to deceive. They ideally need repolished & lacquered but they look OK from a distance of around 10 feet. :roll:
Would not stand up to an OCD Show Stand "Tut tut" inspection though by adenoid inflicted critics. :lol:
OldSpice

Return to General Chat