Water ingress

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Water ingress

Postby BigAndy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi, over the past couple of weeks the floor on my MK2 has been getting wet when we have heavy rain(even if the car is not being used. The rear drain holes are clear.
I don't know if replacing the "roof to door seals" would help or if maybe my roof has shrunk. There are no visible damage on the roof itself. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Andy
BigAndy

Re: Water ingress

Postby drumtochty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 pm

How do you know the rear cabin drains are clear, have you seen the cleaning instrument come out the bottom of each tube or have you seen a good flow of water out each of them when water is powered at the back of the hood.

No use looking just at the top of the drain.

Next step is to look at each of the four jacking points one front, one back on each side.

You need a very small screwdriver and there should be little drain holes at the front and back of each jacking point.

Very difficult to find the first time, the job is not done until you get the eight of them, either clear or if the jack has closed them you have to move the crushed flanges apart.

It is not unusual to get water running out here.

Also if you have not proofed the hood with one of the hood proofers, water may come through, good idea to do it every 6 months.

If you have done these jobs, it is then a case of getting someone to play a hose all over the hood and for at least 10 minutes to look for leaks with someone inside the car.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BigAndy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi Drumtochty, i used a piece of coaxial cable and pushed it from the top of each drain at the roof hinges down to ground level to clear the pipes a few days ago. Plenty water followed the coaxial cable. After reading your reply i managed to locate the drain holes at the jacking points although i could only locate 1 at each point. I stuch a small flat headed screwdriver uo the hole and low and behold a few pints of water came out each one. Hopefully this will rectify the problem. Thanks for the advice.

Andy
BigAndy

Postby drumtochty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:49 pm

That means that the other 4 have been crushed by jacking the car.

Have another go as that may get more water out but you would need a little sharp chisel type punch and a hammer.

When was the hood last proofed.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BigAndy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:23 am

I couldn't tell you when it was last "proofed" to tell you the truth. I got the car last year and I've not done it. Its vinyl not mohair do these still need waterproofed?

I will have another go at finding the other drain points after work today.

Thanks again.

Andy
BigAndy

Return to General Chat