ND MX-5 launch event

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Re: ND MX-5 launch event

Postby OldSpice » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:22 am

ben c wrote:Having thought about it. My only criticism is why is there not an engine with more power to do the chassis and handling justice? I aways found Mx-5's underpowered, but then Mazda have always used their lightweight ethos / philosophy as an excuse.

Marketing.
I think many thousands have been bought for "My Little Grown-up Princess" by adoring Dads for passing with honours at Uni etc...or for the Missus to look cool going for her golf day. Would you really want them unleashed with 250BHP? :lol:

Anyway, now I feel a bit of a fraud, as I by pure coincidence got a call from a main dealer to got to a big ND bash in August as a "thank-you" for introducing a lot of business to them in the past...which I did. I did assure them no way was I buying one, it made no difference...so I'll scoff their lobster and rag it round the castle grounds. Seems it's going to be a non UK type approved as I said before. Do I care?

Oh..Ben..that's us both retired..so be prepared for a passing visit next Spring! :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby iainf » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:29 am

The cars being driven about the country are all pre-production vehicles, there are various opportunities to drive them some dealers are doing this some are not, but the main UK dealer stock arrives in the next couple of weeks and will be in to to the showrooms with the first of customer orders arriving on or around 28th August, which is the planned launch day.

All the cars in the UK at the moment are Japan spec and not UK spec, even if they are mocked to be they are not for this market, but the cars are registered for use on the road and will be destroyed once they have completed the exhibition of them, this is common practice for the motoring industry, Mazda have adopted a novel approach to make the cars as visible as possible.

The MX-5 is a halo product for Mazda, it sells in reasonable numbers but nowhere near the hayday of the mk1, but still a decent global market, the mk4 has been so well received and reviewed that I am sure we will see many of them hitting the roads in early 2016. But the value of the MX-5 to Mazda is way beyond production numbers. many owners of MX-5s have a great experience with their car, that this frequently converts into ownership of another car from the range either concurrently or following and further down the line, it is very important product for them as well as the industry as a whole.

Mazda as a whole is seeing significant up turn in business, the range of vehicle that they have now is selling very well and they ave reported something like the a 10th straight quarter of growth in Europe, which I think no other manufacture is seeing, which is meaning for the ordinary car buyer distinguishing Mazda from the Hyundai's and Kia's of the market is a critical call, the MX-5 and marketing of it helps to highlight the manufacturer as a viable option to have a look at when considering a vehicle for your needs whether that be a convertible, supermini or a family estate. Take a look at the number of Mazda 6s on the road, I am sure you will see many and people have chosen that car over a range of other competitors so they must be getting something right, either on price, specifications, fuel economy or any mix of the above!

Keeping the engines naturally aspirated in time of small turbo petrol engines will no doubt be a strategy of keeping the costs of ownership down and vehicles on the road well into the future, mechanical simplicity is one of the enduring appeals of the MX-5 and as Bob Hall said if you can't have fun with 99 horsepower then 900 is not going to help you!
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Macscorcher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Hello all ! Thought I'd throw my ten pence worth in having seen the car on Saturday & thought about it this week.

1st impressions were impressive engineering & focus on downsizing, very refreshing to see a manufacturer downsizing & going back to mk1 size & lightness.

The inside (for me a mk3 owner) is a familiar place with a very similar layout etc but with what seemed greater visibility ?
Felt that all the great cubby holes & storage spaces of the mk3 were much reduced though which sounds very dull but when u have no back seats they do come in handy !

Although it is good looking car I have to admit personally I'm disappointed it doesn't have any links to the previous generations of mx5. It gave me the impression of trying to be something else other than an mx5, with an Alfa esc rear & a Toyota gt86 front ?

Looking forward to a drive in it but would be surprised if it isn't fantastic, Mazda knows how to make cars handle well !

To try & summarise my jumble of thoughts I was impressed but not seduced, it'll be an excellent car but for me I think my money would be spent on a last of the line mk3.75 at the moment rather than the new car. I suspect I'll be keeping my mk3 for a good while yet & maybe in say 5 years time look at it differently !

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Macscorcher

Postby bmv6197 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:35 pm

Echoing Bob's comments and others on this forum, having now seen the car in the metal (at the Aberdeen launch event today), I must say it looks better than any of the pictures I'd seen. Still not sure I like the front or rear lights or some of the fussy styling but overall it was better than expected. The interior was a pleasant surprise and when I climbed into my Mk1 to drive home, I was reminded at how much the quality of interiors has come on in 20 years. Even my 3 year old who sat in the new car mentioned how much he liked the interior - although he didn't like the lack of pop-up lights...

I wouldn't buy a new one, but in a year or two I might consider adding a used one to "the fleet".

B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby IanH » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:29 pm

Also at the Aberdeen launch event today, very impressed with the car in the flesh, it is incredibly well proportioned and is more comparable ethos wise with the MK1/MK2 than the MK3. It looks fantastic. Interior ergonomics and material quality are the best yet in an MX-5. I'm going to have to believe all the reviews on handling since I won't be able to drive one before mine is delivered....
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby WSBen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:17 am

We saw the ND MX-5 at McRae & Dick's showroom when we took our 'other Mazda' in for a fault finding examination. The car was being picked up by 2 drivers for transporting/driving to the next venue. In all honesty we were not very impressed with the proposed new version. I am now thinking along the same lines as another member (Hi Colin) and will probably go for a different manufacturer later this year.
WSBen
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:51 am

Many other cars, BMW, Merc etc and lots of four seater drop top as well to choose from.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby John H » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 pm

OldSpice wrote:Anyway, now I feel a bit of a fraud, as I by pure coincidence got a call from a main dealer to got to a big ND bash in August as a "thank-you" for introducing a lot of business to them in the past...which I did. I did assure them no way was I buying one, it made no difference...so I'll scoff their lobster and rag it round the castle grounds. Seems it's going to be a non UK type approved as I said before. Do I care?

Same invitation here. Hope we get a chance to meet.
John H

Postby OldSpice » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:15 pm

John H wrote:
OldSpice wrote:

John,
I've booked the Sunday, and for my "driving experience of life-time" :shock: 11 am.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby John H » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 pm

OldSpice wrote:
John H wrote:
OldSpice wrote:

John,
I've booked the Sunday, and for my "driving experience of life-time" :shock: 11 am.

Regrettably I'm booked for Saturday. If I'm honest, I'm an old hand at shamelessly blagging freebies like this, but I'll be interested to hear your views 8)
John H

Postby IanH » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:46 pm

OldSpice wrote:
John H wrote:
OldSpice wrote:

John,

That the one near North Berwick? Will be ther about the same time.. :)
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby OldSpice » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Correct Ian.
Archerfield House in "Central Scotland" :roll: according to Mazda UK.
All we know is...it's called North Berwick in the Lothians :wink:
Hope their staff have SatNav :lol:
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:40 pm

I'm there for 11:00 am on the Sunday, 23 August as well.

Seat going spare if anyone want a lift from Grampian or Tayside leaving Drumtochty just after 8:00am.

Joan thinks it's just daft to go that far for a test drive.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Each their own Eddie.
Personally I think it's daft to drive all the way to the Sterling Mills (a 44 mile round trip ) for shoes, handbags, and "tops"..whatever they are... when our town Falkirk is full of perfectly good outlets that we can access in 5 minutes with our Bus Passes. What do I know eh? :roll:
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Nuffin!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:16 pm

:( :wink:
OldSpice

Postby Macscorcher » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 pm

Think I've booked for the Sunday as well ! Looking forward to it !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Macscorcher

Previous

Return to General Chat