ND MX-5 launch event

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

ND MX-5 launch event

Postby DrewN » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:57 pm

Western Mazda Edinburgh are holding a launch event for the new model on 18th July.
Link to event -
http://www.western-mazda.co.uk/events/mx5previewevent/
DrewN
OC Member
Drew Ness
Central Scotland Coordinator

Re: ND MX-5 launch event

Postby Chuck and Gill » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Macrae and Dick Inverness also planning a similar event on Wednesday 22nd July between 4-8pm.
Charles & Gillian Sinclair
Area Coordinators Highland & Moray
Chuck and Gill
OC Member
Gillian & Charles Sinclair
Highland & Moray Coordinator

Postby drumtochty » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:12 pm

So it may be one car doing the rounds of Scottish dealers.

Probably not the Aberdeen dealer as The Aberdeen Audi dealer has gone from being one of the busiest Audi dealers in the UK to having 90 orders cancelled due to people losing their jobs and companies not renewing their cars.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:44 am

It's at Arnold Clark on 25th July from 15:00 to 17:30, there may be a few can afford a Mazda rather than an Audi.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:13 am

So it's only us semi retired guys who have the time to go to Arnold's while you working people keep the oil flowing.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Macscorcher » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:55 pm

Do we know if the Edinburgh event is going to be the only central event or anything in Glasgow ? Just so I can book time off ?
Macscorcher

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Best thing is not to phone the Glasgow dealer and ask them.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Macscorcher » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Is there a tiny hint of sarcasm in your reply there Drumtochty ? Not sure I picked up on it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Macscorcher

Postby tjay » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:56 pm

Good shout, will have to check with sale at Barnetts Mazda, Dundee. :D
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:18 pm

Book you place at the launch event at your local dealer.

http://www.mazda.co.uk/preview-events/? ... anguage=en

50% deposit and 0% finance so Mazda UK must think duue to winterish delivery time they will not sell many cars to normal people until next year.

They already have the first adopter’s orders some months ago.

I will wait for the Mk4 second hand in 4 years’ time.

Just bought a mint 31k mile Impreza for £6k and you cannot tell the difference between it and a new car apart from the price.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Macscorcher wrote:Is there a tiny hint of sarcasm in your reply there Drumtochty ? Not sure I picked up on it ?

Not at all just, get your backside in gear and phone the dealer rather than posting on the forum for other to do it for you, simple !
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Macscorcher » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:41 pm

drumtochty wrote:
Macscorcher wrote:Is there a tiny hint of sarcasm in your reply there Drumtochty ? Not sure I picked up on it ?

Not at all just, get your backside in gear and phone the dealer rather than posting on the forum for other to do it for you, simple !

Apologies if you felt that's what I was doing Drumtochty. I was just wondering if there was any official information or an owners club specific event so I could join in & meet up with other mx5 fans !

But thankyou for the link anyway ! Looks like all my local dealers are on the list so now I just need to decide who to go see & drool !

Bob
Macscorcher

Postby John H » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Went to the launch this afternoon at Struans in Perth. There are in fact 9 cars doing the rounds of all the UK dealerships, but the one doing East of Scotland is the only one in full UK spec. It's a Soul Red 2.0 top of the range with tan leather seats. Was allowed to sit in it and play with it, but obviously not drive it. Test drive cars should be available late August apparently.

I saw it at Oulton Park a few months ago and wasn't sure I liked it, too blingy, and too much like a shrunken Jaguar F Type (which I hate). I confess though that on a closer inspection, and a proper sit in it, I have mellowed and rather like it. It may look radically different to a MK3, but as you study it, the whole car feels very familiar, like it hasn't really changed radically underneath. The proof of the pudding will be to drive it I guess, but at a first glance I wasn't filled with a burning desire to reach for my cheque book, and still felt quite content to drive home in my MK3.

Anyone else seen it? I'd be keen to hear some thoughts.

John H
John H

Postby OldSpice » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:18 am

As I understand it, these "demonstration" vehicles are all show and no go insofar they are not Type Approved for UK road use and are set to be destroyed.
If this is the case, and I find it difficult to believe even though the source was a main dealer, it's another debacle in The Great ND Launch which has have left some pink sunglassed & breathless die hards with anticipation, and many breathless with exasperation. I've never known through the decades a manufacturer bar Moskovich during the motor show at the Kelvin Hall in the 60's, that showed cars for sale you could not drive.Great cars they may be (not the Moskovich), but they are shackled by marketing policies you'd think were scribbled on the back of a Primary School jotter at playtime by some kid who missed his Ritalin pills.
We have newly retired, and were genuinely looking to buy one in a year's time once some poor individual suffered the depreciation 0f 6k+ "on our behalf". No chance now.
Quite fancy the ToyScoobiedoo instead TBH.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby John H » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:33 am

OldSpice wrote:As I understand it, these "demonstration" vehicles are all show and no go insofar they are not Type Approved for UK road use and are set to be destroyed.

The one I saw yesterday at Struans was certainly road registered, and the guy from Mazda was driving it on the road from one venue to the next. It is in Inverness today and Aberdeen after that apparently, and being driven there. As for pre-production cars being crushed after press launches, that's the norm, all manufacturers do this.
John H

Postby OldSpice » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:40 am

John H wrote:
OldSpice wrote:As I understand it, these "demonstration" vehicles are all show and no go insofar they are not Type Approved for UK road use and are set to be destroyed.

The one I saw yesterday at Struans was certainly road registered, and the guy from Mazda was driving it on the road from one venue to the next. It is in Inverness today and Aberdeen after that apparently, and being driven there. As for pre-production cars being crushed after press launches, that's the norm, all manufacturers do this.

Interesting John.
It's not an experience I've had myself but I'm more than happy to be corrected.
It must be frustrating for genuine enquirers to turn up and not be able to go for a even a short drive.
So, people will put deposits on vehicles from a mass producer that don't exist yet. Given the months of hoo-hah, that's a leap of faith.
No sour grapes from me, but good luck to them. Certainly don't recall another new Mazda launch car you could not try out and I suppose the irony here is 5's are supposedly bought by "drivers" not "motorists" or "steering wheel operators"...but no...ye canny drive it pal! :lol:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby ben c » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:12 pm

The Mazda staff said the red ND doing the rounds was the only UK spec ND in the UK and if you saw an ND in a car magazine or review then it was that one. It even has UK registration plates (under the marketing ones).

My impressions...

- Looks much better in real life than in the photos.
- Externally looks a bit smaller than an NC.
- But seems a bit more roomier inside.
- I was surprised to feel the fabric roof was solid above the seats.
- Moveable cupholders.
- Why no glovebox?
- Some new features that are not on the NC. automatic headlights (on/off and turn into corner apex), daylight running LED lights, automatic windscreen wipers, keyless entry, start/stop button, joystick for sat-nav controls, rear parking sensors.
- The red is a nice paint.
- But not too sure on the sand interior. Glad to hear the interior also comes in black.
- 100kg lighter than NC. Just realising 160bhp 2 litre engine. No news on an electrical hardtop RC.

Some dealerships are getting a demonstrator vehicle for test drives end of Aug. If it turns out to have the same performance or faster than a NC, then the ND seems pretty good.
After owning a MX-5, I will never buy a hatchback or saloon car with a roof again :-)
ben c

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:29 pm

What I cannot understand is that the MX5 by volume is not a great seller in the Mazda range.

So why spend all this dosh on roadshows etc if they are not selling them in the numbers they used to.

There are just to many other normal cars that you can get a drop top on that are stealing MX5 sales.

Remember some people buy a car on colour or some other thing like the seats and care not if it is rear wheel drive and 50 50 weight distribution.##

The PPC payments and trade in on their old car may well be the deciding issue
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ben c » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:40 am

drumtochty wrote:What I cannot understand is that the MX5 by volume is not a great seller in the Mazda range.

If this is the case, I'm quite surprised. I would have thought the MX-5 is the greatest seller in the Mazda range. As it is niche / unique, unlike the Mazda 2 or Mazda 6 where theres so many alternatives out there on the market.

If someone wanted a 2 seat sportscar / convertible thats sub Z4 or Boxter prices and can be used daily, I cant think there's much alternative. Looks like the ND is starting at £15,258 (not including VAT) thats less than a Toyota Verso 1.6 diesel estate. The estimate on the road price for the range topping MX-5 is £23,295.
After owning a MX-5, I will never buy a hatchback or saloon car with a roof again :-)
ben c

Postby ben c » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:45 am

Having thought about it. My only criticism is why is there not an engine with more power to do the chassis and handling justice? I aways found Mx-5's underpowered, but then Mazda have always used their lightweight ethos / philosophy as an excuse.
ben c

Next

Return to General Chat