New Toy

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

New Toy

Postby John H » Sat May 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Just collected it this afternoon, lovely. Guess I'll have to change my avatar now!

Dscn7568r.jpg
John H

Re: New Toy

Postby marshall » Sun May 10, 2015 12:11 am

Nice
marshall
OC Member
Marshall Pirrie
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby MX5er » Wed May 13, 2015 2:01 pm

smart - which edition is it?
MX5er

Postby John H » Sat May 16, 2015 9:59 pm

MX5er wrote:smart - which edition is it?

I don't think it is any of the special editions, just a regular 1.8 SE in Aluminium Silver. Been driving it for a week now and I'm very impressed. Much as I loved my old Eunos, it was very much a "sunny afternoon" car, whereas I bought this with the intention of it being more of a daily driver, and so far it is proving just the ticket.

It feels fast, but without pulling the huge numbers on the speedo which too many overpowered modern cars do. It is supple, meaning that on the cratered back roads of Fife I am probably quicker than I would be in the Cayman, as it rattles my teeth out, whereas the MX5 just absorbs it all. It turns in with alacrity, and it has the delightful feeling of pivoting around the driver which is so endearing in the Cayman. It is comfortable, and just well equipped enough, without lots of stupid gizmos no one needs. The Aluminium Silver would not have been my choice of colour, but it looks great and very subtle. Special praise goes to the heating and ventilation system, which has a whole separate mode for “open driving” which brings into play a set of torso level vents. These fill the cabin with a bath of warm air, and leaves you cocooned and warm with the roof down, even on a chilly day, very intelligent. The simple manual hood can be opened or closed one handed without leaving the driving seat. It is cosy to drive with the roof up too, without feeling claustrophobic. You might gather I like it! :lol:

Dscn7579rr.jpg
John H

Postby L9XSS » Sat May 16, 2015 11:09 pm

And a Porsche cayman to boot, very nice. :D
L9XSS

Postby John H » Sun May 17, 2015 8:31 pm

Went to Aberdeen today in the new toy to see my brother. Car whistled there and back, moderately quiet on the dual carriageway, although clearly noisier than a coupe or a saloon, but quite acceptable. Took this photo, and when we turned round, there were dolphins splashing and jumping in the harbour mouth, amazing.

Dscn1092r.jpg
John H

Postby L9XSS » Sun May 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Very very nice car against a lovely backdrop. We are lucky to live in such a great country.
L9XSS

Postby John H » Sun May 17, 2015 9:04 pm

L9XSS wrote:Very very nice car against a lovely backdrop. We are lucky to live in such a great country.

Agree entirely. In fact this spot features quite regularly in my car photography

Dscn1030r.jpg

Dscn0671r.jpg
John H

Postby John H » Sun May 17, 2015 9:13 pm

L9XSS wrote:And a Porsche cayman to boot, very nice. :D

Ah yes. :oops: I have a bad habit of buying more cars than I sell!
John H

Postby L9XSS » Sun May 17, 2015 9:51 pm

John H wrote:

Funny that, I currently have a Volvo XC90, merc clk and a mk3 MX5.........when will we learn? Wife doesn't understand...... :lol:
L9XSS

Postby John H » Sun May 17, 2015 10:40 pm

L9XSS wrote:
John H wrote:

Funny that, I currently have a Volvo XC90, merc clk and a mk3 MX5.........when will we learn? Wife doesn't understand...... :lol:

In which case I confess to owning the MX5 Mk3, Porsche Cayman, Porsche 924, Audi A2 and the wife has an Audi A1. Wife sort of understands. :wink:
John H

Return to General Chat