New MX5

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

New MX5

Postby John H » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:42 am

I went to the Spring Rally at Oulton Park this weekend, mainly to get a look at the new MX5. It was on a revolving dias so you couldn't touch it, but I certainly got a long hard look at it. Not entirely sure I like it, looks like a shrunken Jaguar F Type ( a car I hate). See what you think.

Dscn7439r.jpg
John H

Re: New MX5

Postby drumtochty » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:45 am

Well you do not want to buy the first car out of the factory so better to leave that a year or so. You do not want to suffer 60% depreciation. Therefore that would be waiting 4 years to buy a car that was produced one year into the production run.

By that time you have a better chance to get used to the car and had plenty of test drives.

No need to be first in the street to have one.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby John H » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Oulton Park is certainly a terrific venue. Great circuit in lovely parkland, easy parking, great paddock, good facilities. Scotland urgently needs somewhere like this. It just shows up Knockhill as the ghastly windswept tip of a place it is. :(

Anyway, two more pics, front and back ...

Dscn7437r.jpg

Dscn7437r.jpg
Attachments
Dscn7441r.jpg
John H

Postby OldSpice » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:05 pm

Not that I'm in the position to subsidise a used buyer in 3 years with piano-down a lift-shaft depreciation anyway but I just cannot see that car having the same impact on we jinba ittai Eternal Flame die-hards as before. It's just a composite muddle of too much of everything in my eyes. If I could afford it, I'd be looking at a 2/3 years old cherished Bimmer Z or a GT86 tbh. Sorry Mazda but for me the flame just went out. Nice try, "no ceegarr"
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby John H » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:04 pm

OldSpice wrote:Not that I'm in the position to subsidise a used buyer in 3 years with piano-down a lift-shaft depreciation anyway but I just cannot see that car having the same impact on we jinba ittai Eternal Flame die-hards as before. It's just a composite muddle of too much of everything in my eyes. If I could afford it, I'd be looking at a 2/3 years old cherished Bimmer Z or a GT86 tbh. Sorry Mazda but for me the flame just went out. Nice try, "no ceegarr"

Much as it pains me to say it, I rather feel the same way. I had other reasons to be in England last weekend, but the chance to see the new MX5 was a major reason for the journey. I confess the jury is still out for me on quite how I feel about it, but it certainly wasn't love at first sight. Tooling around in the sunshine this last 10 days in old faithful certainly makes me wonder if they have really caught the spirit of the original. I'll reserve judgement till I drive it.

20150405_095542rr.jpg
John H

Postby Sprockutt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:09 pm

I'm sure the ND will have captured some of the spirit that all previous versions have. In essence it's still a relatively affordable sports car than doesn't cost the earth to buy or run, it has RWD, a good chassis and weight distribution etc etc So under the skin yes it'll still very much be an MX5.

But the NA's design was very retro and was effectively a modern replica version of all that was good about British sports cars. Where the ND differs is that it's design appears to be more about the future than the past. I'm not convinced this is entirely the right approach and it all looks a bit too generic and corporate for me.
Sprockutt

Return to General Chat