Supercharged NA MX5

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Supercharged NA MX5

Postby crayons » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Hi,

Does anyone on here have a supercharged NA MX5 or more specifically the Eaton M45 supercharger, and have they ever had it around Knockhill?? I would be interested in knowing what the performance was like.
First MX5
1991-1.6L Scottish MX5 Cup Car
Aberdeen
crayons

Re: Supercharged NA MX5

Postby Si » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:39 pm

Seeing as you've not had any other replies ......

I previously owned a Mk1 with a BRP MP62 supercharger and tracked it at Knockhill with friends on a number of occasions, as well as at a session organised by the MX-5 club. When compared with a naturally aspirated MX5 it's like night and day and while it won't get you round the corners any quicker it does make overtaking that little bit easier. I have driven a number of NA 5s around the track and in all honesty it's just as much fun without the blower ....... if you're against similarly powered cars then what you both have under the hood is irrelevant as you'll be testing your driving skills rather than whether or not you have the fastest car (where's the fun in that? :wink:).

My reasons for supercharging were simple ..... I wanted a faster road car that could try and compete with slightly more powerful cars on the track. Succeeded (brilliantly) in the former, failed slightly in the latter.

What are your reasons?
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby crayons » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:09 pm

Cheers Si, I'm running in the mx5 cup at Knockhill this year which runs a fairly standard engine. I was just curious as to how much faster a supercharged car would be.

Do you remember what bhp you were producing and what sort of lap times you were doing around Knockhill.
First MX5
Aberdeen
crayons

Postby gm » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:15 am

I was up at knockhill in Sunday watching the racing, which mx5 were you in ? It seems odd that they have put the mazdas back in the sports & saloons class with such a large performance differential, the racing made much more sense when you were in with the bmw compacts (although they are starting to get like the racing minis, almost a contact sport). would the mazdas not fit in with the fiestas - I seem to recall there was a small field in that race and performance can't be much different ? Or even with the classics ? I would love to have a go at proper racing but this year, I'll have to make do with trackdays and autotests.

Ps. Re supercharged mx5s - I had a go on one that was for sale recently, it was flipping quick - the previous previous owner was on nutz, you may be able to track him down, he took it round knockhill a couple of times I think.
gm

Postby gm » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:26 am

gm

Postby OldSpice » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:58 am

Si wrote:Seeing as you've not had any other replies ......

I previously owned a Mk1 with a BRP MP62 supercharger and tracked it at Knockhill with friends on a number of occasions, as well as at a session organised by the MX-5 club. When compared with a naturally aspirated MX5 it's like night and day and while it won't get you round the corners any quicker it does make overtaking that little bit easier. I have driven a number of NA 5s around the track and in all honesty it's just as much fun without the blower ....... if you're against similarly powered cars then what you both have under the hood is irrelevant as you'll be testing your driving skills rather than whether or not you have the fastest car (where's the fun in that? :wink:).

My reasons for supercharging were simple ..... I wanted a faster road car that could try and compete with slightly more powerful cars on the track. Succeeded (brilliantly) in the former, failed slightly in the latter.

What are your reasons?

I wonder what happened to Maxine. As far as I know, she was being reshelled and hopefully "reborn".
Never have heard of or have her in years.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby DavieW » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:53 am

gm wrote:I was up at knockhill in Sunday watching the racing, which mx5 were you in ? It seems odd that they have put the mazdas back in the sports & saloons class with such a large performance differential, the racing made much more sense when you were in with the bmw compacts (although they are starting to get like the racing minis, almost a contact sport). would the mazdas not fit in with the fiestas - I seem to recall there was a small field in that race and performance can't be much different ? Or even with the classics ?

I was there too and agree the speed difference was huge. Putting them with the Fiestas would be a great idea although I think they used to have larger grids than on Sunday. Just need to get another 10 or 12 MX5's racing and they could their own race!!
DavieW
OC Member
David Waddell
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Si » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:32 pm

crayons wrote:Do you remember what bhp you were producing and what sort of lap times you were doing around Knockhill.

Worth noting that I never raced competitively so my lap times would have just been a keen enthusiast pushing a bit, but not at race pace. Even with that caveat, I'm afraid I can't recall what sort of times I was doing. If I can find any videos I'll see if I can work it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAYmImlf6nY

Before and after power was as per the attached graphs.

bhp_before.jpg
BHP Before 1997 Mk1 1.8iS
bhp_after.jpg
BHP After 1997 Mk1 1.8iS (BPR MP62)

Haven't heard from the couple that bought the car from me. I understood they'd be stripping the bits and loading on to a new chassis as the rust was starting to get the better of it .... but I don't know if that ever happened.
Si

Postby Si » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:38 pm

You can probably work out times from this video. I can't recall the gentleman's name, but his car was turbo'd and putting out a similar amount of power. He "followed" for a few laps the same day I shot the video linked to above :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dVACMcv7PQ

Simon
Si

Postby crayons » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:12 pm

I wasn't there on Sunday. Waiting on my licence to come through. I will be out at the next meeting on the first weekend in May. I will be in (what should be by then) a green car. There will be a total of 5 cars running.

It is a bit of an issue that we are in with the sports and saloons. But the bmws have 40+ cars running and have no room for the mx5s. And we cannot convince the organisers to run us with the classics or fiestas.

Another 10 cars running would be perfect. Could definitely make a strong case for our own race.

If you fancy giving it a go this season I know a guy that has a car he can rent out.
First MX5
Aberdeen
crayons

Postby OldSpice » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:08 am

Si,
I saw Maxine's new shell painted and it was really a stunningly job. Better than new likely as not.
It was all ready for the big build up, but that was a few years back.
I imagine so much work & prep never went to waste.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Return to General Chat