Breaking an mx5, worth it?

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Breaking an mx5, worth it?

Postby Purplebug » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:48 am

I have the chance of a cheap 5 with a hard top. Now i dont need another car but I want the top. If any of you guys have broke a 5 what kind of money was it worth. The car is just a uk 1.8. Or what is it worth as a whole without top. Has had welding done just before being put off the road and has had some shoddy paint at some point and its going pink. All panels look straight and it was used daily until put off road 3 years ago. Looks totally standard bar so 16" aftermarket wheels and he fitted lowering springs to it. I know we all hate the "whats it worth post" but if I buy it i need to strip and make the extra dough back very quick and get it off my drive!!
Purplebug

Re: Breaking an mx5, worth it?

Postby BoabG » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:29 pm

I would say no as I had to scrap the car including engine, big brakes, torsen diff, doors boot, bonnet etc.

Deffo not worth it, I still have brand new wings, will rear arch and so on that no one wants...
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Purplebug » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Kinda thought that. Have to have a think about wether its worth the hassle.
Purplebug

Postby drumtochty » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:14 pm

Bob's problem that also I would have is that we are away from large areas of population.

Even then if you are in say Glasgow, it will take many manhours to get the stuff stripped and do you want to do that outside your house.

As Bob has found out there are lots of bits that you will be left with.

As a non mot scrap car, the scrap man may give you £100. Phone some local car scrap places and ask them for a firm cost to take it from your house, that is a lot better idea than asking here for someone to give you their estimate of what it may be worth to someone else.

Be prepared to be shocked at how low a price you may be offered if they even want it.

After you get a firm figure from a scrap guy subtract that from the cost of the car and the cost of trailering it to your house. It does not have an MOT I assume, so do not try to be smart and drive it home if it starts unless you have a days insurance about £30 and an MOT apointment. The bit on your insurance policy that says you can drive another car does not cover the fact that it is not on the insurance database. It will not be insured for you to drive.

You can get a hardtop for say £300 so it has to be lots less than that.

If you advertise on all the MX5 boards and Gumtree you may want to find someone who wants a whole parts car but at best maybe £250 but you could wait weeks for that. Also most of the boards want you to be a posting member for a while not just a newbie to use the for sale sections.

I would be tempted just to spend £300 on a hard top and get on with life unless you need more parts off the car. There are no shortage of MX5's being scrapped.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BoabG » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:21 pm

At the moment there is no value in scrap. I had to pay 50.00 to get the car removed and scrapped.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DTB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:31 pm

It's really only worth breaking a car for any non-standard stuff. It's cheap and easy to pick up good conditioned, guaranteed standard parts from the likes of Autolink or Junk Yard Dog.

Quite honestly I think this would turn out to be a massive waste of time & money.
DTB

Postby Purplebug » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:34 pm

Cheers guys, its what i thought. I hoped a mate was gonna take car as a project and we'd split cost meaning i get a cheap hardtop and he gets a cheap project but hes too worried what it would cost to get it done. Plus to be honest i'm not desperate on a hardtop its just it could have been to cheap to ignore.
Thanks for all the replies lads :)
Purplebug

Postby drumtochty » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:21 pm

BoabG wrote:At the moment there is no value in scrap. I had to pay 50.00 to get the car removed and scrapped.

I have heard that depending on international scrap prices some times the market wants scrap cars and at other times no one wants them.

So it's nobody wants them time Bob.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat