Happy but sad.....

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Happy but sad.....

Postby Czinski » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:53 pm

After failing it's MOT on rotten sills (and the chassis rails need done) last September the 5 has been languishing in the garage untouched for the past 5 months, having been replaced with a boring box for getting me to work and back.

The 'boring box' needed a service at the weekend and rather than braving the cold I wanted to get it in the garage which meant moving the 5 so I hooked the battery up to the trickle charger on Friday evening. Come Saturday I moved out all the crap that had accumulated around, on and in the 5, hopped in, turned the key and she fired up on the very first turn. I wonder how many other 14 year old cars would do that after being dormant over the winter. That makes me happy.

What makes me sad is that lack of funds and needing back seats means that the 5 had to be tucked away again at the end of the day and will probably not see daylight again this summer :(

Just felt the need to come on here and share my sad tale just as most are looking forward to summer approaching....b*****ds!!
2001 Mk2.5 Silver S-Vt Sport 1.8
Czinski

Re: Happy but sad.....

Postby gm » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Definitely sad to hear about it being stuck away in the garage but testament to these great little cars that it fired up straight away. If you fancy tackling the repairs yourself, I have a welder that you can borrow (I don't really know how to weld, been meaning to take some lessons) or maybe book it in to see Adrian down in the borders - he does a cracking job on mk1 sills.
gm

Postby Czinski » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:41 am

Learning to weld is something I've always had on my list of skills to aquire but would need someone to show me the ropes first, considered lessons a few years ago (I think Stevenson Collage did evening classes at one point) but never got round to it. I have a couple of mates who can do a bit of welding (not professionally) so been meaning to let them show me the ropes if we ever find the time.

First job I should really do is get myself a grinder and do a bit of surgery to make sure the rust that's there doesn't spread while it's laid up. Thankfully the garage seems to be pretty dry judging by the fact that the brake discs remained clean as a whistle over the winter, I imagine they'd be the first things to show signs of surface rust if there was much dampness about.
Czinski

Postby gm » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09 pm

'Nice dry garage' - you're just showing off now :)

There's a welding course run by Edinburgh College, I've emailed for more info on times and dates but at £122 for 12 weeks, it sounds like it could be worth a look.

http://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/courses/course_description_new.aspx?id=EN1IWPSE15&campus=&keyword=&dept=bus#
gm

Postby Czinski » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:21 pm

gm wrote:'Nice dry garage' - you're just showing off now :)

If only it was a bit bigger - it's just a bog standard single jobby so not a lot of working space!

That course looks not bad - that's only about a tenner a session, would easily pay for itself with the skills learned I reckon.
Keep me posted on that one...
Czinski

Postby drumtochty » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:39 pm

There is a similar course at Angus College in Arbroath, just sent away for the dates of that.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BoabG » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:05 pm

drumtochty wrote:There is a similar course at Angus College in Arbroath, just sent away for the dates of that.

eddie

We do that Eddie, that's the department i work in :D 8) :shock: It's Dundee and Angus college now though :D

Would quite happily show anyone the basics of welding to get you started,.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat