Meet the Batmobile...

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Meet the Batmobile...

Postby IanH » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Picked up yesterday in Grantham so had 450 miles over 2 days of different types of roads to get to know the car :D

A1M to Leeming Bar, A684 to Sedbergh and M6, M74, A9, A90 and then the Slug (A957) gave a choice of different driving.

It's a 2013 2.0 Sport Tech NC2, first registered in March 2013, it had 5,800 miles on the clock at pick up.

Car has Eibach lowering springs (Mazda blue ones) and Mazda 18" wheels. Already managed to ground it once :oops: (not badly) so going to have to be careful.

Falken Ziex are fitted at each corner, I don't know which specific model number, initial impressions are not awful.

Having gone from an NC1 Rag Top (on standard suspension) which I had owned for 70 months to this the following stand out;

The gearbox is smoother in 1st and 2nd, this is one of the things addressed in the NC2 facelift.
Handling is outstanding, progressive and neutral, like cornering on rails, probably a combination of the NC2 roll centre lowering as part of the facelift and the Eibach lowering.
The adjustable driver seat is potentially useful, for me it's immediately at the lowest setting, don't know whether that is any lower than the standard NC1 sitting position.
The PRHT makes it feel like a different car inside in terms of environment bringing out the Coupe feel.
Cruise control is nice to have on longer Motorway/A Road sections, I often found my right leg starting to ache in the NC1.

So now time to think about whether it will get a BBR upgrade and if a Cobra will go back on.... decisions, decisions :D

IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Re: Meet the Batmobile...

Postby CaptainNorth » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:16 pm

That's smart. BBR turbo? Suits you Sir. If you want to try mine re the Super 200 no problem but would not be 'til spring.

What exactly did Mazda do for the "NC2 roll centre lowering"? I have to admit that lowering mine was an aesthetic decision, using 30mm Eibachs but the handling seems the same, i.e. seems fine to me.

One thing I do wonder about - Lotus Elise is the finest steering car I've driven and has fat tyres at the back, skinny at the front. I do wonder if less than 205 at the front would sharpen up the steering on country roads.

Cheers
Dave
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power
CaptainNorth

Postby IanH » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:05 pm

I believe the knuckle joints are different and lower the roll centre by 26mm. Debate on various Fora about what effect it has, Mazda didn't just do it for the hell of it I guess.

I doubt the Turbo, likely the 200, may take you up on that in the spring as it's less likely I'll be doing anything in the next wee while.

I'm not aware of anyone trying different tyre profiles on the front, some of the modern MG's with the K series engine had something like this, possibly even different size wheels.

Ian
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Richardn » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:28 pm

CaptainNorth wrote:That's smart. BBR turbo? Suits you Sir. If you want to try mine re the Super 200 no problem but would not be 'til spring.

What exactly did Mazda do for the "NC2 roll centre lowering"? I have to admit that lowering mine was an aesthetic decision, using 30mm Eibachs but the handling seems the same, i.e. seems fine to me.

One thing I do wonder about - Lotus Elise is the finest steering car I've driven and has fat tyres at the back, skinny at the front. I do wonder if less than 205 at the front would sharpen up the steering on country roads.

Cheers
Dave

Lotus is light on the front. It has a 39/61 weight split, not 50/50 of the MX5
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby CaptainNorth » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:44 pm

Sure that's a good point. But the sport I have has 205 all round, other models have 185? So you could go 205 rear and 185 up front, maybe narrower?
NC1 BBR Super 200
CaptainNorth

Postby Richardn » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:29 pm

I think all that will do is produce understeer
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 am

All Mk3's have 205 tyres the only difference is the cars with 17" wheels are 45% aspect ratio and the 16" wheel cars have 50% aspect ratio.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby CaptainNorth » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Ta Eddie, new to me.

Anyway back to the Batmobile - are you going to drive it year round Ian? Any thoughts of undersealing? I got a quote from ta place in Ellon that sounded OK, about 350 I think including removing wheel arch liners. Have they improved the rust protection?
NC1 BBR Super 200
CaptainNorth

Postby IanH » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:27 pm

CaptainNorth wrote:Ta Eddie, new to me.

Anyway back to the Batmobile - are you going to drive it year round Ian? Any thoughts of undersealing? I got a quote from ta place in Ellon that sounded OK, about 350 I think including removing wheel arch liners. Have they improved the rust protection?

I will keep it licenced all year, there are some good days in winter to use it too.

I probably will get it undersealed, I doubt there's much improvement in rust proofing, at the moment it's too ruddy low to get a proper look :D Last time I used Cooper Motors in Fordoun who did a really good job with plastics and exhaust etc off for a similar price. What's the place in Ellon, have you seen any reviews or recommendations?
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby CaptainNorth » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:53 pm

I found a recommendation somewhere on the web but don't remember where. I emailed them and a Guy called Neil replied as below. Castle Park Autobody

"We would put the car up on the ramp and power wash the under side before wax application .
If your require the internals done the trims etc need to be removed and refitted .
Apply cavity wax to internal quarters, sills ,doors, wings & also chassis sections .
Once this has run free ,apply black road wax to external underside .
Total cost for this would be £350 Inc Vat
We would need the car for 2-3 days as we need to let it dry once cleaned"

Cheers
NC1 BBR Super 200
CaptainNorth

Postby IanH » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Interesting, logistically it's a lot easier for me than Fordoun, might go and see them. 8)
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby Scotty Dugg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm sure Cooper said when I got mine undersealed, that the car needs to be dry, or you capture in all the moisture which leads to rust issues - basically making it pointless?

Hope they let it dry after the jet wash!
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby liathach » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:57 pm

That's why they need it for three days.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby Scotty Dugg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:43 am

Fair enough, as long as it was fully dry.

Ian, should have said before, car looks spot on, I have never seen those wheels on a 5 before!

Here's the guys that said lowering a 5 on our roads would be no good 8) I'll need to come and have a look!
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:54 am

Scotty Dugg wrote:Fair enough, as long as it was fully dry.

Ian, should have said before, car looks spot on, I have never seen those wheels on a 5 before!

Here's the guys that said lowering a 5 on our roads would be no good 8) I'll need to come and have a look!

I didn't expect the lowering, when I saw the pics thought it was the 18" wheels that made it look like that. Now I have it I will need to be careful and see if it is practical in the longer term, it does handle superbly, better than the previous one.

Pop by for a look any time!
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Return to General Chat