German Autobahns to start charging foreign drivers

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

German Autobahns to start charging foreign drivers

Postby zebedee » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Anybody thinking of using German Autobahns will have to now pay a toll, but 10 Euros for 10 days doesnt seem too bad compared to French tolls.......wonder if we will start doing the same thing over here for foreign drivers? Could reduce our road tax...NOT!
zebedee

Re: German Autobahns to start charging foreign drivers

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:24 pm

No Autobahns between Drumtochty and Stonehaven or Montrose so no problem here in the Mearns.

Not sure about Englandshire though!

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Eddie,

You need to try going via an Autobahn between Montrose and Stonehaven .. it is way more fun :lol: ... the experience is in the journey not the arriving in your 'rider in harmony with machine' :?

"Interesting" being on an Autobahn at 8.30 heading into Stuttgart of a morning (on way to MB museum) .. all these supercharged Mercs doing 105-115 mph in the outside lane of a 2 lane road (dualer to you) with about 1.5-2 car lengths if lucky stopping distance between them (so who does have the best brakes?.. don't think about it..).. but the wiff of oil being burnt from them was evident top down while in the convoy even at that speed :shock: Inside lane was doing 60mph.. so you needed some acceleration to even think about changing lanes.

Hum.. Germany actually now has emission stickers (8 Euro) in some places that they are rolling out, this is even for visiting vehicles; http://www.tolltickets.com/country/germ ... icker.aspx

Switzerland were compulsory on their 33 Euro licenses last time I tried... you used to be able to slip through but now they tell you off at entrance.
Austria you need one for their motorways (8.50 Euro) but that is just a better excuse to stay on the windy stuff.
Europe wide.. http://www.tolltickets.com/country/euro ... n-GB&mnu=c
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby liathach » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Malcolm, when I was in Austria a couple of years ago, I had an 8-day Vignette for a 9-day stay in Austria. Was pretty sure I could avoid the motorway on my way to the Fern Pass from Ischgl but I failed and ended up on the motorway. The "enforcers" were waiting for me as I exited on the slip road. No idea how they knew but it cost me well over 100 Euros for what would have been an 8 Euro Vignette - lesson learned - make sure the vignette more than covers stay in Austria!!!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby IanH » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 pm

liathach wrote:Malcolm, when I was in Austria a couple of years ago, I had an 8-day Vignette for a 9-day stay in Austria. Was pretty sure I could avoid the motorway on my way to the Fern Pass from Ischgl but I failed and ended up on the motorway. The "enforcers" were waiting for me as I exited on the slip road. No idea how they knew but it cost me well over 100 Euros for what would have been an 8 Euro Vignette - lesson learned - make sure the vignette more than covers stay in Austria!!!

Malcolm was that your Annus Horribilis for motoring transgressions?
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Return to General Chat