Track Preparation Suggestions

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Track Preparation Suggestions

Postby Chrisc201 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi there,

Just picked up a Eunos mk1 mainly for track use so after sorting a few little issues (separate thread started) I'm looking to do a few things to make it better for sprints and auto solos / tests.

Read differing opinions so looking for some input on a few plans I've got;

1) buckets and harnesses - is it just the cobra monacos and sparco sprint 5's that fit?

2) rear cage - worth it and if so which one? TRLane

3) hydraulic handbrake - struggling to see where this could / would fit...any details / pictures of your installations?

Cheers,
Chris
Chrisc201

Re: Track Preparation Suggestions

Postby gm » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Try sitting in a few different seats - I have a sparco sprint drivers seat and an 'autostyle' ebay special for the occasional passenger. The sparco was easy to fit and is the right shape for me, the autostyle is ok but it is worth spending a bit more for your own seat. I did have a cobra Monaco but it was the wrong shape for me, shame as it was a really good quality piece of kit.

A proper roll at and harness makes a massive difference on the track, my confidence increased a lot when I got securely strapped in, go for four point 3inch harnesses if possible, the 2inch straps can dig in a bit. I have an older design trlane rollbar with built in harness mountings, it seems now you need to buy the harness bar separately. It is very solid, the car benefits from extra rigidity and it is a handy place to mount the camera :)

If you are near edinburgh you are welcome to come round some time and have a look or get yourself along to knockhill on 1st November for the TrackScotland event.

Of this years trackdays, one of the most fun sessions was when I didn't book my own space but shared a car with another mx5 owner, his car was in fairly standard spec but was very capable on the track. As long as the tyres and brakes are good and it's been serviced recently, I would say get booked up and see what the car can do before making a wish list.

My current set up :

Driver side : Sparco sprint and 3" harness
Victim side : Autostyle and 2" harness

gm

Postby kevham » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:37 pm

When I sprinted my car, I tried various seats but settled on a Kirkey aluminium seat bolted straight to the floor. Main reason for this was that it was the only way to get my helmeted head below the level of the roll bar. I had a Hard Dog Hardcore and harness bar and Schroth 6-point.
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby Chrisc201 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks for the detailed response, plan is to get the basics sorted (e.g. sort current steering , brakes, service, geometry) then get a wee autosolo in to see what breaks :-)

In what way didn't the cobra fit out of curiosity, I'm broad backed from power lifting so that's my biggest consideration. My other car is a 911 with Porsche Recaro buckets and they fit really nice, with the 6 point schroth harnesses I'm snug as a bug!

That auto style "looks" pretty good, what's the negatives compared to the sparco?
Chrisc201

Postby Chrisc201 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:50 pm

kevham wrote:When I sprinted my car, I tried various seats but settled on a Kirkey aluminium seat bolted straight to the floor. Main reason for this was that it was the only way to get my helmeted head below the level of the roll bar. I had a Hard Dog Hardcore and harness bar and Schroth 6-point.

Guessing that with it being bolted to floor no ability to move back and forward?
Chrisc201

Postby kevham » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Correct. The runners and mounts add a couple of inches. Add the height of your helmet and you'll likely be above the roll bar (unless you're short). Nobody else ever drove my car so it wasn't an issue.
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby gm » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:25 pm

re autostyle seats - just a bit cheaply made, and the springs creak annoyingly when the car is in domestic road use. given the choice between one of them new and a second hand sparco, the sparco wins every time. the cobra was too wide on the hips but had better shoulder support (im a fat skinny bloke)
gm

Return to General Chat