Insurance Costs

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Insurance Costs

Postby trekker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:42 pm

If anyone else out there insures through Lancaster insurance this is worth knowing.
My renewal came in with a £45 policy fee added on. I checked other insurers and found I could get it cheaper.
I phoned Lancaster and they removed the £45.

Motto : Ask or it costs you
trekker
OC Member
Scott Struthers
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Insurance Costs

Postby ben c » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:39 pm

Last year it worked out cheaper to cancel my insurance then re-register with the same insurance company as a new customer. It was quite interesting when they asked me for proof of no claims bonus, I had to phone them to say they should post it to themselves :)

Whats also interesting is I live in Moray. A work mate had to make a claim on his insurance only for them to say they have no recovery or repair centres north of Glasgow / Edinburgh ! They originally asked him if he could move his own car down south. His insurance company then said they would have to send a sub contractor up but it would take days. What annoyed him the most is he feels he was mis-sold the insurance, his insurance company knew all along they could not provide the service they charged him for.
After owning a MX-5, I will never buy a hatchback or saloon car with a roof again :-)
ben c

Postby BillA » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:36 pm

Anyone else have this problem ?, foolishly having received a renewal from Churchill that was 3x last year's cost I left my renewal to the last minute. I used a well known comparison site to get e new quote,however, when trying to ensure the new stereo and hardtop were included I couldn't get a quote with the additions. This seemed strange and I put it down to an anomaly with the comparison site. I picked General Accident (not the cheapest btw) on the basis that I could phone and get the stereo and hardtop added later . So far so good, well not really, I got the stereo added at no cost but they won't add the hardtop at all. Now I can't use the hardtop until I renew next year with a company that will include the hardtop !!!.

Any suggestions on a good insurance company for my wee red MX5 WITH hardtop gratefully received.....
BillA
OC Member
Bill Adair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Bill

We have a simalar thing with our house.

It has a wooden extension built in 1926.

When you go on to any insurance comparison site for building insurance they all have a section saying are the walls built of masonary. brick, stone.

If you click no, they say sorry cannot help.

So we have to phone up insurance companies direct who in turn have to talk to their underwriters.

Both time consuming and twice the price as they are not competing on basic policy facts that the comparison sites are all about.

Hope you find a company.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BillA » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks Eddie, I tried the phone call they still wouldn't insure it, Churchill wasn't a problem it was just their renewal was ridiculous at 3x last years with no claims..... can't for the life of me understand why with GA the new electric hardtops are insureable but the removeable one isn't. I'll just have to wait till renewal time and try somebody else....
BillA
OC Member
Bill Adair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Two years with Axa, didn't like the renewal this year (1st renewal was competitive) so shopped around and saved £80 with Aviva including declared mods of exhaust and stickers* :D

* stickers do count as a modification, have you declared yours?
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Si » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:28 pm

If I were you I'd try Direct Line.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Return to General Chat