MX5Parts Exhaust

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

MX5Parts Exhaust

Postby AndyBlake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Hello folks. I am a newbie to this site so don't know if this should be in a different section, but Im sure the Mods will move it if I have posted in the wrong place.

Anyway I am expecting delivery of the MX5Parts Stainless exhaust and link pipe for my MK2.5. Nevada. Has anyone fitted one of these before and if so what did they think of the overall package? Quality? Sound? Should I have got a different one?
Next Question would be.... Are the strut brace things any good? do they actually help?? Is there another better product to help stiffen things up a bit?

Thanks in advance

Andy
AndyBlake
OC Member
Andrew Blake
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: MX5Parts Exhaust

Postby drumtochty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:39 pm

A 4 wheel laser set up is a beter idea but if you want to stiffen then fit the brace first and take it for the 4 wheel alingment rather than the other way round.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby AndyBlake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:46 pm

Sounds like a good Idea... I have the laser tool in the garage so will do the tracking later on this week. Is there a section on here that tells me the optimum settings? Or would you know them off the top of your head??
AndyBlake
OC Member
Andrew Blake
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ruggiebloke » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:54 pm

I wouldn't attempt it myself. It's adjustable for Castor, camber and toe. Take it to a garage that has a Hunter machine to get it done properly.

You can find a garage at https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 5928,d.ZGU
ruggiebloke

Postby AndyBlake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks, I am used to setting up the fully adjustable suspension on my mini, but if it needs to be done on a four wheel laser machine instead of front then back I suppose you are right. I can take it to Bitz Garage in Nairn who have one of those new four wheel things. It costs a bomb though!!

On a different note look what just arrived. Woo Hoo!!

AndyBlake
OC Member
Andrew Blake
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby AndyBlake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:29 pm

As it turns out Bitz garage is my local Hunter Tracking garage!! just checked on that link you posted up.. Thanks.
AndyBlake
OC Member
Andrew Blake
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby AndyBlake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 pm

Oh no!! they sent a Parts Catalogue with my exhaust... So much for the summer holiday fund....Shhhh don't tell the wife!! lol
AndyBlake
OC Member
Andrew Blake
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby AndyBlake » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:59 pm

The other bit arrived to day.. Woo hoo!! Booked the car into the garage on Friday so should get to have a good blast with it at the weekend. I will get a video posted up of it fitted to the car.. I would normally have fitted it myself but don't have the time this week.

AndyBlake
OC Member
Andrew Blake
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DTB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:28 pm

I think the MX5Parts exhaust has a lovely sound, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. They are good quality and are very popular aftermarket items. It will take a few miles before the sound develops properly but I'm fairly sure that if you give it a bit of wellie next time you're going through a tunnel or underpass with the roof down you will be happy with the results.

As said, checking the wheel alignment if the car is new to you is a good move.

A strut brace is a reasonably cheap addition to the car and it can make the engine bay look a bit more interesting. Something like a Typhoon induction kit also looks very nice every time you open the bonnet but its real joy is the change in engine noise. I think the Typhoon compliments the nice sound from the stainless exhaust you have bought. A roll bar such as the TR Lane GP bar stiffens up the car nicely but that will set you back a few hundred pounds and will take about half a day to fit. Once they are fitted though they do look the dogs danglies.
DTB

Postby AndyBlake » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks DTB that's exactly the sort of Info I was looking for. As a newbie I don't have a clue really what works and what is just for show.
AndyBlake
OC Member
Andrew Blake
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby AndyBlake » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 pm

I spoke to my local garage today, who do the general servicing and repairs on all my vehicle's, I was dropping off the exhaust to him ready for fitting on Friday. His first question was, "So where is the de-cat pipe then?"

After a short conversation regarding MOT's and such he said that fitting a de-cat pipe was good for 10-15 bhp when combined with this exhaust. and that come mot time if I plonked the "Cat" in the boot he would be able to test the emissions and then put the car back to normal. I have no idea what he meant by that.. Cough!!..

So what do folk think. Are these de-cat pipes worth the bother? does removing them really give you that sort of power increase? what happens to the ECU messages from the exhaust sensors, I would have thought it might get a bit confused and try to lean out the mixture to compensate for the higher emissions.. But I don't have a clue...

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Andy.
AndyBlake
OC Member
Andrew Blake
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DTB » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 pm

No that's not true at all. No way will you get 10 - 15 bhp that way. Quite a number of mk1 run a decat pipe but it isn't common on mk2.5 at all. For info, mk1 decat gives a bit of lost torque in low revs which is offset by more free reving in the upper ranges, but as many people will say there is no power gain as there will say there is, but it does bring a change in noise and an occasional pop or two. MK2.5 decat pipes are rare. People generally seem to end up getting them custom made but you could well have a problem with a warning light. Little bit of reading here but basically it's not worth doing.

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107611

I would take with a pinch of salt any claims about extra power that are not backed up with before & after dyno readings. When you have your new exhaust the noise will make it seem like your car has an extra 10bhp. It will 'feel' faster. Stick on a Typhoon and the sound will make it feel like you have gained another 10bhp. In reality neither will have happened. Making sure your car is regularly serviced with good basics like plugs & leads & oil & filter will pretty much ensure you are getting as much as you can from an NA engine. Absolutely 100% guarantee that a decat pipe will not give you 10 - 15 bhp though, let's be clear on that.

If you want extra bhp you will need to go for a supercharger or turbo and be prepared to spend a couple of grand. To be honest though if you decide that is what you want then you would really be better selling your car and buying another one with all the bits on and all the money already spent.
DTB

Return to General Chat