Hi-

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Hi-

Postby Ronmac » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:19 am

Hi,

OK. I admit that I am having a mid life senior crises.

I am looking at MX-5's with lust and desire.(sad, sad, pathetic tragic...)

I admit that I want one. No, I rephrase that..I need one! :shock:

So, I think lets join the forum. Lets ask the experts....I assume you ALL know what you are about yes?(lol)

I am a ancient member of the MS Flight Simulator forum, and I know how expert these forums are. I mean I am in one! (ROFLMAO)

So, first BIG question I am sure you have been asked a zillion times. Eunos? Major disadvantages?

I have about 3K only to spend on a garage toy. I will polish her, and love her, and can even return to my youth and do things like brake shoes, points, plugs, starters etc.

I need to go zoom zoom....

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ta,
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby Richardn » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:32 am

?3k will buy you a nice 1.6 g-kreg. You may have to travel. Prices tend to fall after September, then come up again at about Easter.

Are you favouring a colour?

Buy on condition and disregard the age. The early g-reg cars had a weak cranknose. Don't be put off if the rest of the car is good.

Eunos Roadster is the same car, often (not always) less rusty. More special editions

see

http://www.mx5club.org.nz/info/japan_models/

Look at the sills in front of the rear wheels, this is where the first rust arrives. If it's been badly repaired..walk away
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Ronmac » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:32 am

Richardn,

Thanks for prompt reply!

I have always preferred B.R. Green, but do not really care what colour.

Local Japenese importer, is expecting 2 Roadsters next week from Japan at 50-80K (Kilometers?) at around the 3K. One with roof at 4.5K.

I believe they fix spec to UK with Radio dongles etc.

Good point about September price drop, I had thought that may be the case to some extent.

Am I right in saying that 1.8 is much more lively than 1.6?

I will do 6K per annum car insurance type of policy, but have been told that Eunos are harder to insure. Is this the case?

I am happy for any insurance suggestions.

It is a fact of life 50 year olds can afford to insure anything on wheels!

Thanks for heads up on Rust areas.

This affliction started with me in spring (when the thoughts of young men turn to sports cars) and I tried a R plate 1.8 on a extended test drive. It was 7-8K (if I remember) and a Monza edition UK car. After test drive I was totally hooked! The car salesman is still in therapy mind you!(lol)
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby graeme » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:28 am

The Eunos BRG is called the the V Special - nardi wooden steering weel, gear knob, handbrake handles, tan interior, sometimes chrome wing mirrors.

Many of your questions can be answered here: http://www.fizzindi.demon.co.uk

The club has it's own insurance scheme. The club benefits from you joining the scheme, and in many cases, you can save more than your subscription on the insurance premium (I certainly did). Before anyone else says it, this is rarely the case for <25's, but it doesn't apply in your case.

The radio dongle is OK for a temporary measure, but put a new face-off stereo and cubby hole in it. The CD player tends to lose the will to live after about 10 years and the radio display reads incorrectly as the dongle changes the frequency but doesn't tell the display. You also can't get some stations with the dongle.

The hardtop is a matter of choice. I sold mine as I have nowhere to put it in Summer and no desire to miss those glorious clear days in winter, but it's up to you. A flying jacket is cheaper ;-)
graeme

Postby Ronmac » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:55 am

graeme,

Thanks for the info.

I have a Buffallo Bill's outdoor jacket bought in Buffallo last winter, does this qualify as a flying jacket or is it just not 'done'.

Gotta get the strange haunted sports car look right!(lol)

I would happily change stereo (JVC CD-?99 fitted at Halfords).

Thanks for link, this is exactly what I was looking for, all the info on Eunos', pros and cons.

Ta,
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby graeme » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:10 am

Any warm coat is fine ;-)
graeme

Postby loftladderman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:21 am

Hi

I have 4 of them, all Eunos as you call them :-)

You are more than welcome to come and have a play / look around / fiddle / with them.

G to J plates though 2 are on Paddy Plates. (Non alphabetical Reg's)

All are 1.6 and some of them are more "special" (read modified) than the others :lol:
One is even a slush box.

I am situated in St Cyrus (Montrose).

I have never bought any from a "dealer" and bought all of them privately with not a baddie amoungst them :-)
Why pay dealers profit margins ???
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby Si » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:29 pm

There is no reason why ?3K couldn't get you up to a K, or even a L, registration if you look hard enough.

Get on to AutoTrader and get hunting! A couple of friends have recently got themselves a bargain recently, and if you're prepared to go the distance for the right car then there's no reason why you can't. Patience is a virtue!!!

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Hardtrack » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:55 pm

Simon..how can you post 15mins after i passed you on the A77...........have you a laptop plugged into your ciggy lighter :lol:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Hardtrack » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:56 pm

ok my gmt was set wrong :lol:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Greg & Nic » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:05 pm

Hi Ron...I know what you mean about needing the car rather that just merely wanting one!!
Some good tips above and I'll add to them if I may, as I've just spent a month looking before getting the car I wanted. I would say that if you're looking to spend around the 3k mark (exactly the amount we had to spend) then have patience and you will be able to find a wee gem. I looked at about 12 cars all around that price range and found that condition can vary greatly. In my humble opinion (and I'll probably get shot down in flames for this comment) you would be better suited looking at Roadsters rather than UK MX5's. The reason for this, and recent experience proved it to me, is that many (most) early UK cars are now suffering from 12 or 13 years of use on our wet salted roads, and are showing signs of rust on wheel arches, sills, and around most unprotected edges etc. All of the Jap spec cars I saw were in much better condition in this respect. Most of their lives have been spent on dry roads with a nice warm climate. As far as mechanical condition, again they can vary greatly, some being nice and tight feeling and others being rattly, smokey and loose. You will probably need to be prepared to travel a bit unless you are very lucky, but again, have patience and you will find that there are cars out there that have been loved and cherished and worth waiting for.
I found mine on Ebay believe it or not and one benefit of searching there is that you can see lot's of pics and ask the seller questions. Don't for gawds sake bid for one without seeing it first!! I saw one on there that looked like it was plucked from a showroom...phoned the bloke, who said it was 100% genuine and original. Travelled to flamin Cheshire only to find it had been totally resprayed....badly :x It was a K reg and went for a final bid of ?4100!! Someone was going to be mightily dischuffed!
Insurance won't be a problem, we got a decent deal on Tesco online. It's a myth about higher rates for imports. Finally, don't be worried about buying a 1.6 model. They're not rapid by modern standards but they ain't sluggish by any means.
And I agree about the comment about "why pay someone else profits"...If a dealer has a car for ?3.5 grand you can bet your ass you'd buy it private for 3.
Anyway, good luck hunting and it'll be worth it. You'll love it.. :wink:
Cheers
Greg
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby Ronmac » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:06 pm

G & N, and All others,

Many thanks for great advice, keep it coming!

Patience I do have, and I am prepared to keep looking and hope that my 'senior' status will allow my experience to 'feel' a good car when driving it.

I take the point re Eastern imports and quality of bodywork. I shall see what the importer has to offer when the cars arrive on these shores.

The temptation to just trade in my Honda CRV for a new MX-5 has been great. I have resisted as in my head I know I have a brilliant all round car that tonight went to Safeway and swallowed up a graden furniture set. There was a 04 reg Mx-5 parked next with hood down and I laughed at idea of getting garden set into that! Last week I carried 18 slabs and the Honda never noticed!

So a third car is whats wanted. My dearly beloved has just bought a new 'handbag' (Beetle loaded with the lot), and nearly went for the Cabriolet until she saw the boot! An oven door she called it!

So, real question is.....how to convince wife that I need a toy? Women can excuse everything on PMT, Hormones, change of life etc, we guys have zilch!

I stopped smoking 5 months ago, and told her then that if I reach 6 months I am buying a sports car. Problem is that I was NOT kidding!(lol)

This is the hard question!(lol)

Thanks again,
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Invite

Postby Ronmac » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:13 pm

Mack, Loftladder??

<<You are more than welcome to come and have a play / look around / fiddle / with them>>

Thankee for kind invite. If I had joined this forum last week I would have been at your door following day!(lol)

Sadly, nae I say tragically, its the start of the academic year again, and I am facing months of edumacational giving of wisdom to the assembled masses of wee wee weans, wee big weans, big wee weans, and BIG BIG weans.

So, I have no time until Xmas!

However, you never know when the opporchancity to take weans on an educational trip presents itself to Fife area!(lol)

Love the web site.
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby inddigo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:29 am

Hi Ronmac,
As the guys here who know me and Jo will tell you, we have an 'L' plate BRG 1.8 S, paid ?3K for her ( she is a bit tatty and needs a respray ) and we love her LOADS. You should be able to find one out there, got ours in Edinburgh from the yellow paper ( the free ads one ). We did look at others but some were really bad. Hope to see you at the runs soon, highly recommend them they are great fun. 8)

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Postby Ronmac » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:19 pm

So, right away I am passing Belmont's in Glasgow and they have a number of imports on show.

So, 1.6 R plate, Roadster with hard top, Red, 65000(kil?).

He wants ?7999, but it is MINT!

Salesman said that they had 'chipped' the speedo, and now mileage will show miles rather than kilometers. This is on top of the 65K kilometers showing!

Is this right?

He said radio was chipped but I could only see it going up to 90Hz.

AirCon, locking, fully loaded wee car, but above my price and in an insane way, Too good!! Nothing to play with and fix!(sad eh?)

He will drop at least 5-700 I think, but still above my 3 grand or so.

Shame.
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby Ronmac » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:26 pm

Andy,

Thanks for reply, I really appreciate it.

I will attend meets when I get a car!

As I said earlier post (I Think?), at least the indecision is out of the way and it will me getting an MX-5.

What is it about this wee motor that is just so damn attractive and head turning. IMHO they stand out in any car park, they just look the business.

Friend of ours bought a brand new MG, in BRG. I have driven it a few times but cannot get excited by it. Yet the MX blew me away and is probably no faster than the MG.

I was saying this to a salesman (Arnold Clark-MG/Rover) and he confessed that he knew this as well. He said that a year in an MG and you are fed up with it, yet the MX5 is kept forever!!
MERLOT '96 Vintage

To Be is to Do--Neitche
To do is to be-Decartres
Do Be Do Be Do...Sinatra
Ronmac

Postby boringchap » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:48 am

It is so refreshing to here
Friend of ours bought a brand new MG, in BRG. I have driven it a few times but cannot get excited by it. Yet the MX blew me away and is probably no faster than the MG.
because for me it is not really a question of speed, although the 5 can be a faster mode of transport than an MG, it is all about fun and X-factor (or rather mx-factor). It's good to hear from other people what you are thinking yourself (I'm really not usually into consensual validatioen as a rule)
Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

I dont know

Postby loftladderman » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:08 am

I dont know WHAT it is that is so compelling about the MX5 / Eunos / Roadtster / Miata, call it what you will.

It is not he fastest car out there (but you can have some fun making it so).

It is certainly not the prettiest, though beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It is however one of the sharpest handling cars I have ever owned and can be made even sharper.

We take 'em, we Turbo 'em, we Nitrous 'em, we supercharge 'em, we deck 'em out in all sorts of extras, we change wheel sizes, we alter tracking and cambers, we baby 'em, mother 'em, and love 'em.
WHY ?
Who the hell KNOWS ! LOL

My White one stands me at over ?10K, my Turbo stands me at even more and is even now in a Garage having a hand made stainless twin outlet exhaust system (4" slash pipes) fitted, also being set up on the 4 wheel rolling road in Aberdeen.
Together JUST those two stand me at around a joint ?22K.
LOOK what I could buy in the market place for ?22K ! ! !
If I sold them I would be damned lucky to get ?7K for BOTH !

I went for a test pilot ride in a Renault Sport spider yesterday down here in england.
One of only 5 looked at by Williams F1 Racing.
216 bhp.
7K miles on the clock.
0-60 in 5.2 secs.
Top whack of 140 mph.
Costing ?15K
ONLY 5 in the UK, bright Yellow and Black, no hood, no top, no wet weather gear at ALL ! They don't make any for it !
What did I think ?

Completely devoid of character is what I thought and no way would I sell my others to own it !

So now I am thinking...lets spend another wee fortune and stick water / methanol misting to the Turbo ! ha haaaaaaaa
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Ron

Postby loftladderman » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:19 am

Ron
OK on the weans situation.
Folk just keep having them !
Education is WASTED on most of them anyways ! :lol:

Not in Fife here, sort of in Aberdeenshire / Angus depending on which postman you talk to !
Just north of Montrose.

Offer to look / play / fiddle still stands anytime you want.
I am getting rid of one, BUT I am adding a Supercharged one to replace the wee standard red one :lol:
I have found a right hooker, supercharged, with lots of goodies on it in Spain of all places.
If we can make a deal it will be mine :lol:
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby inddigo » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:27 am

I dont know WHAT it is that is so compelling about the MX5 / Eunos / Roadtster / Miata, call it what you will.

It is not he fastest car out there (but you can have some fun making it so).

It is certainly not the prettiest, though beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It is however one of the sharpest handling cars I have ever owned and can be made even sharper.

We take 'em, we Turbo 'em, we Nitrous 'em, we supercharge 'em, we deck 'em out in all sorts of extras, we change wheel sizes, we alter tracking and cambers, we baby 'em, mother 'em, and love 'em.
WHY ?
Who the hell KNOWS ! LOL

Nice one Mack
Couldnt have said it better, that just about sums it up 8)

Cheers

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Next

Return to General Chat