It's Started at Last

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Re: It's Started at Last

Postby drumtochty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Aye, she was out at a craft day in downtown Arbuthnott so there would be no scones and me in my painting overalls, not a pretty sight.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby jake2 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:15 pm

hi there, may not be of any relevance but a friend of my fathers recently had a lift installed, shortly after the floor gave way and everything came crashing down whilst the car was up there. Turned out it was because the concrete base that was laid for the lift wasnt thick enough or reinforced, we ended up having to dig down 4 feet and place in several layers of reinforcing to insure the base was strong enough to take the weight of the lift whilst under load. Again may not be of any relevance to your lift, but i thought id give you a heads up just incase. Build looking great so far!
jake2

Postby drumtochty » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Lat week I sent the lift details to the structural engineer to run a check on the concrete slab prior to ordering the lift.

So yes it is very relevant and thanks for the heads up.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby jake2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:42 pm

no bother, any time.
jake2

Postby drumtochty » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:52 pm

weather tight (1 of 2).jpg
weather tight (2 of 2).jpg
The joiners arrived back after 17 days away which was promised to be 7 days!!!!!!

The extension is now weather tight. if it is not raining tomorrow they will put the tin sheet on the extension roof as the existing garage had tin sheet put on the roof today, if it is raining they will insulate and internally board the extension.

I spent today wiring the extension and changing the electrical design late in the afternoon therefore working until 9:00 pm. I need to spend another day to finish the extension rough wiring to allow the joiners to finish the internal cladding and connect the old roof to the extension structurally which makes it drive through. The insulation arrived today but it was the wrong stuff but that was not noticed until last thing so the truck had gone.

Then the extension is back to me to paint the walls, ceiling, then put in sockets and lighting and paint the floor

On the internal picture you can see the wire for the lift coming down from the roof.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:33 am

Wow, that's some space!
joeytalent

Postby drumtochty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 am

You never have enough space Joey!

Our single garage is now 60% full of tools and stuff as I have decanted the majority of stuff from the existing double garage to there during construction.

So when I bring it back, I will have to be ruthless to get rig of stuff that's handy to have but will never be used.

Looking forward to it being finished.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby rayf » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Eddie, it is very impresive. Well done. Will there be an opening party?
rayf
OC Member
Ray Fulton
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:31 pm

According to TJ there will be one.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby tjay » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:02 pm

Awe well Eddie, like a new bairns head it will have to be wetted !! hopefully your long suffering good lady Joan will do some baking and anyone else can bring disposable bbq's and thier own food to eat as we would not want to impose on an auld part time pensioner eh !! lol !! :lol: :lol: :D
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:53 pm

internaa (1 of 1).jpg
Looking towards the original garage from the rear of the extension.
The internals of the extension are progressing slowly, hopefully the joiners will be finished lining the ceiling of the extension on Monday 28.

The existing garage roof is now tied into the extension and if the steel for the front of the garage was not blocking the front door it would be possible to drive through from one garage to the other.

Then it's a case of insulating, lining and bracing the existing garage and then getting the steel in for the front roller door. Hopefully the joiners have a weeks or less work to do but you know what it's like.

The strip lights, sockets and internal paint is there waiting to be installed and applied.

As allways slower than you think it will be.
Attachments
internal (1 of 1).jpg
Rear Wall lots of sockets to fit!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Drumtochty Door Steel (2 of 2).jpg
Finishing off the front woodwork
Drumtochty Door Steel (1 of 2).jpg
Lifting the steel channel into place on the front of the garage
At long last the front door steel channel is on and that lets me get the door company in to measure up so we should have a roller door in early December.

The structural engineer reckons the concrete slab is too spec so I will order the two post ramp this week as well.

We had a problem today as the hire company who should have supplied the kit to lift the beam did not turn up. Luckily John the local farmer came up trumps with his material handler.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 pm

It's looking good Eddie :)
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Ian

What make and model of garage floor paint did you use. Due to the outside temperature I'm thinking of putting back that job to the spring.

Even if I heat the garage and that would be in three weeks time, when the big hole at the front is filled with an insulated door. I wonder if the temperature of the floor will stop the coating drying. Then you have to leave it for a good few days and I just want to get in there!

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi Eddie

I haven't done anything with the floor at the moment, still undecided what to do with it. I'm now waiting for the spring so that I can insulate and line the outside walls, when that's done I'll do the floor. I was thinking about using plastic/vinyl garage floor tiles, look cool but very expensive.

At the moment the MX-5's hibernating in the garage suspended a meter of the ground on the lift so all work has been suspended for a few months.

Interested to hear what you intend to use though.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 pm

There is a possible problem leaving a car on a 2 post or scissor as some dampers do not like being left extended!!!!!!!!

The original garage was built in Sept 2002 but I think I painted the floor green in the summer of 2003 as it was a warm few days.

I used International Paint, 35 sq mtrs floor area.

The first coat was with an international Paints stabiliser which was a clear sticky goo that I painted on after I had washed and cleaned the floor. The sealer only covered half of what it should have but I bought twice what it said on the tin even then, I ran out and used some stabilising solution for masonry paint to finish it off on about 2 sq mtrs. I left it overnight then put on the green coat

The second coat was the green garage floor paint and I again bought twice what it said on the tin so bought two tins. I used one and a half tins.

It was great until 2010 approx and then went quite dull and some areas are worn so no complaints there after seven or eight years.

I now have 71 sq mtrs to paint and I'm torn between using the stabiliser on the new "year old concrete" that is weathered so not dusty, Then painting the lot with the same International garage paint but in grey.

On the other hand people say how good the latest two pack paints are so that would be the other option.

TJ reckons that the two pack paints are the way to go the way to go.

As I said previously I'm tempted to leave it to the late spring due to the outside temperature.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Drumtochty 2 Post (12 of 18).jpg
Post being erected
Drumtochty 2 Post (6 of 18).jpg
Floor base
The lift installers turned up today and I went for a higher spec 2 post lift that has an H frame on the floor so the frame takes a good portion of the bending force from the lift so that reduces the force on the rawlbolts to pull the bolts out of the concrete.

The minor draw back is the frame on the floor between the posts but as I'm underneath up to 2 and a half tons of car when my friends Range Rover is on the lift, I'm happy with that. No problem getting the MX5 to drive over it.

One part was missing but it will be operational on Monday as they have the part at their store.
Attachments
Drumtochty 2 Post (2 of 18).jpg
Base of the posts
Last edited by drumtochty on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Attachments
Drumtochty 2 Post (18 of 18).jpg
Waiting for the final part
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby liathach » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Looking good!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby IanH » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:15 am

Splendid
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat