Rika

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Re: Project Rika

Postby joeytalent » Mon May 14, 2012 9:54 am

happypetsservices wrote:Hi,

I've just bought a 1995 mk 1 and brought it back to Scotland from Middlesborough yesterday.

The rear screen is very opaque, what do you reccommend to clean it?

I have some Pro Marine, Rib Shine from my boat but not sure that is the best option

Chris

Is it a plastic rear screen? Brasso is meant to work wonders.
joeytalent

Postby happypetsservices » Mon May 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Brasso eh? interesting, must admit I'm surprised to hear that.

Yes it is a plastic rear screen, she is a 1995 N, I think the glass rear screen's came in after that?

She ran lovely back to Scotland in horrendous driving conditions, I defintely know the roof is sound as a pound, will try to upload some pics

Chris
Attachments
media (3).jpg
media (2).jpg
media (1).jpg
email: happypetsservices@yahoo.co.uk

1995 Classic Red 1.8is.
happypetsservices

Postby happypetsservices » Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 pm

I had some Pro Marine "Rib Shine" which is a gentle cleaner for inflatable boat tubes, it worked a treat.

Chris
email: happypetsservices@yahoo.co.uk

1995 Classic Red 1.8is.
happypetsservices

Postby joeytalent » Wed May 16, 2012 9:44 am

Just to prove I'm not making it up: http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/p/37258/260799.aspx :D
joeytalent

Postby sarahlc » Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 am

sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Ok I have neglected this thread for far to long, progress has slowed due to money flow not being as good as it once was, like many at this time I guess.

That said some things have been done, the following work I did in September.

So the cam belt change was due. I was given a new cam belt and pulleys by the previous owner when I bought the car. I added cam shaft seals, crankshaft seals, water pump, and a couple of other bits to list of stuff I wanted to do.

First of all was to take it all apart, once this was done gave it a good clean up, the area was covered in oily sludge.

With my car being produced in the first month of manufacture, the engine is of the short nose type. But I am happy to say that there is no sign of any problems in this department. I was very careful about torquing it back up when I was done.

The seals, in particular the crankshaft seal had gone really hard, no wonder they were leaking, below shows the new water pump, camshaft and crankshaft seals in place.

One of the extra things I decided to replace was the thermostat housing pipe, the small bypass pipe "T" section had come off, the previous owner had gotten the thing to be ok with the aid of a plastic "T" piece. Whilst it didn't leak, I was concerned that this could be something that could cause me problems in the future.

More new stuff installed and everything cleaned ready for the new cam belt.

After I got it all put back together, there was a horrible noise coming from the front of the engine, my thoughts were running through everything that I could have done wrong. After taking things off one a time I saw that the cover seals that protect cam belt area had been snagged by the tensioner pulley. The seals that go around these cover had been saturated in oil, had expanded to the point of not being able to fit correctly, I put the covers back minus the seals and everything has been ok since then. I have new covers, I just need to get them fitted.

Since this was done the she is hardly going though any oil, I know she has a small oil leak from the rear main crankshaft seal, again I have all the stuff including a new clutch to go in, it just a case finding the time to do this.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:46 pm

I didn't get much for the car for my birthday in December, just this little handbrake button, its pretty subtle but I like it.

sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:07 am

And this brings me to today and the beginning of the installation of my xmas present.

Cunningly wrapped so no one can guess what it was, ok perhaps not. :lol:

Time take the interior apart to get this installed, a couple of minutes after I took this photo I decided that the seats needed to come out to make it a lot easier to move around.

At the same time I am installing a new drivers side seatbelt, the webbing on the old one had seen better days, it had been affected by the Japanese sunshine, and had faded. Though the passenger side has also faded, its in considerably better condition, and these things are not cheap dispute being in MX5 parts clearance. and being ordered during a 10% sale weekend.

There is something very special about getting brand new OEM parts.

So that is were I am up to as of right now. The roll bar in partly bolted in the car, waiting for me to get more done tomorrow.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Following on from above we proceeded to finish up bolting it in place.

From there we went on to trim the tin parcel shelf panel, this was easily completed with tin snips, then the carpet was trimmed and fitted. Some people don't bother refitting the seat belt tower covers, but I decided that I wanted the install them, so I cut them down the corner and refitted them.

So with it all fitted I got a couple of other things done including an oil change and putting on the Summer Wheels (despite having snow on the ground at the moment).

I still have some padding to fit, but wanted to take some photos without it fitted first.

As always a special thanks to my Dad who helps me on all of these bigger jobs.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Your cars looking great Sarah
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby Dot and Chas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Nice job!! A few track-days in mind? :wink:

Chas
Chas............Fire up the Z-Sport!

Get Busy Living!!!!
Dot and Chas
OC Member
Dot and Chas
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby attila » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Great project Sarah. Lots of info for all. All credit to you.
Car is "Lookin Good".
Charlie
attila
OC Member
Charlie Grant
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ColleyV8 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:44 pm

That's looking really nice, will have to keep one, one of these days to play around in.

Already contemplating the mx5 champ series
ColleyV8

Postby HIGHLAND TIGER » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 am

:) Thank you Sarah. It has been a joy following your project. Great to see the benefits of your Love and energy creating a true beauty. Looking forward to seeing the combination at the Spring Rally. Have you thought of showing or even entering in the competition.? Would be great, maybe with some photos. :P Fantastic sharing with comprehensive detail. No doubt though just a beginning. 8)
Regards,

Graham K

http://www.highlandtiger.com
HIGHLAND TIGER

Re: Rika

Postby sarahlc » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi All

Firstly I'm back. Its been over 2 years since I posted anything on here.

So what has been happening you might ask, well with the car not that much, I still have Rika and still enjoy driving her. Over the last 2 years I have bought a house, got into cycling, and a returned to other hobbies that I enjoyed when I was younger and don't involve cars.

But recently I have been getting the motivation to start giving Rika some more attention. I don't drive Rika every day any more, she is a weekend car, she has become the toy that I always wanted. I no longer need a car, I have a car because I want one.

So last time you saw me put the roll bar in, that stayed in the car for just over a year and then got removed, due to the MOT tester being a bit of an arse about it. I fully intended on putting it back in, but over a year later its not been reinstalled. I have been thinking about selling it, but I'm still not sure.

So I mentioned getting into cycling, generally these cars and carrying bikes in them are considered in compatible, like some others before me I manage it by removing the passenger seat.

Out for a ride with my mountain bike

Shortly after the last update back in 2013 I got new middle and upper timing belt covers to replace the originals that were damaged.

And the valve cover coat stripped back and painted red.

With the car getting used less often I got a battery cut of thing for her, saves my battery going flat, as sometimes Rika sits around for 2 weeks and more without a drive.

At the last MOT in May they advised the brake hard lines were getting corroded. So I replaced all of the main brake lines with copper. I still need to do the fuel lines as they been noted as well, I have the stuff to do it with, just need to get round to it.

Over the last few months rika has been suffering from coolant leaks. The issue is with the kevlar reinforced coolant hoses that I got from autolink. These are only about 4 years old, and replaced the 21 year old original rubber ones back when I go the car. They have cracked badly and have now caused 2 leaks

Top hose

Heater hose

I have already had to replace the inlet manifold hoses. Today was the turn of the top hose and the heater hoses, new ones are silicone MX5parts hoses.

Full shot of the engine bay

That is it for now, some photos of exciting new to me things to come later.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:02 pm

Nice to hear from you Sarah.

Welcome back.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks Eddie

Its good to be back.

Got at set of 14' OEM BBS alloys for a not a lot of ££

They are in ok condition, only one bit of kerb damage on one of them, no centre caps, but I have some on the way.

Just need to decide if they are going to get refurbed, or just get some tyres and get them on. Does anyone know of somewhere in central belt that will do a decent refurb job with out the use of Powdercoat as I do not want these to crack on me?

sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby stugee » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:07 pm

Covanhill Powdercoaters just outside Forth do a cracking job. £170 a set fully refurbed in standard colours (white, black, yellow or 2 silver options) or an additional £15 per wheel for bespoke colours.

On a side note, if you are selling the rollbar drop me a PM, I'm not far away and currently looking for one.
stugee

Postby drumtochty » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Next time you are on the way up to your parents, pop in if you want to use the 2 post, take a left at Laurencekirk.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Parents have moved to Englandshire, so no longer on the way. However if I'm going north at any point I will let you know.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat