Rika

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Re: Rika

Postby Macdond » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:20 pm

What a great read, nice to see a car being restored and improved.
Macdond

Postby IanN » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:59 pm

Welcome back Sarah. Rika's looking good :D
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby iainf » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:41 am

Good to see you back and getting stuck in!

Skidz in Falkirk may be worth a shout they do or can arrange most type of refurbishments
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby SummerofSam » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:16 pm

What a heartwarming story - Rika looks amazing. Great job, Sarah !
SummerofSam

Postby sarahlc » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:31 pm

With the weather starting to warm up I got a couple of things done on the car.

First off was a quick cosmetic change. I managed to get some roadster sill plates so I changed from these stick on ones from MX5 parts and went to OEM style ones. I got them off ebay for not a lot of ££, and they polished up really well. Very happy with these.

The other job I got done was in preparation for the cars MOT in May. On the last MOT the fuel feed and return hard lines were noted as having in their words "severe rust". It was only an advisory but I decided not to risk a fuel leak or a MOT failure from them. So I bought 25ft of Copper/Nickle pipe 5/16'' pipe and set about replacing them. With them out of the car this is the rust the MOT mentioned.

I cut the original return pipe just by the fuel filter area, just before it goes up behind the fuel tank. The new piping was bent to match the original items out of the car. The ends of the new pipe and the cut end of the return pipe was flared to give a good solid mounting for the new J30 R9 grade fuel hose with new clips.

With everything put back in the car I reattached the Fuel pump relay, primed the system by bridging the F/P and GND pins in the diagnostic plug. Checked for leaks (there were non), and then started her up, she started as normal :D

Much more work planned to follow in April as the weather improves further.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:03 pm

So it time to tackle a little rust that has just started to develop before it becomes a real problem.

Today I cut out a small bit towards the rear part of the frame rail on the drivers side close to the fuel filter. Here is a seam that has rusted through.

Got it cut out with a combination of the angle grinder and my Dremel with a cutting disc on. Cleaned up with a power file.

Sprayed with weld through primer and a new bit of metal welded in, welds ground down a little and sprayed with high zinc primer.

Not bad for and afternoons work. Need to finish this repair,then more rust areas tackle tomorrow.

It been a while since I last did any welding and it took me a while to dial in my welding again. Glad it was in a hard to see area.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Another day and more rust. This time the usual bit on the back of the drivers side sill.

The top layer of metal that is the bottom of the wing was cut out. I accidental cut in the inner part of the sill here and had to run a bit of weld down the cuts to ensure strength remains in this solid metal. I applied rust converter (Rustbuster FE-123) which seems to work extremely well. I have made up the repair sections, and have coated the inner metal with weld through primer, ready for welding in in the morning.

More to follow tomorrow.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Girl Power!
:wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby sarahlc » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:49 pm

Today I got the new metal welded in, the weld ground down.

I then put in some seam sealer down at the forward edge of the patch in the same location as the original seam. Then came some zinc rich primer, a little filler to smooth things off and primed, ready for top coat tomorrow.

Also today I made a repair to one of the hangers for the exhaust, to extend the life of my mild steel exhaust until I get the chance to fit the stainless steel one I have stored in the loft.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:51 pm

Another day and more rust.

Today I started on the passenger side. This is what it looks like before I started.

Doesn't look too bad, but looks are deceiving when it comes to this area on these cars. I cut out the bottom section of the wing and dealt with the surface rust on the inner structure with Rusbuster FE-123 rust converter. Then over painted that with weld through primer. It was every bit as bad as the other side, perhaps worse. I am certainly glad that I am in time to save the inner structure on both sides.

I have got a new piece of metal cut, bent and drilled for plug welding, ready to be welded in tomorrow. This also has weld through primer on the reverse side.

I have started with the top coat on the drivers side, but a problem with a faulty can of paint means this won't be completed until tomorrow now. More to come tomorrow.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:31 pm

This update comes a day later than planned due to issues with paint on the drivers side meaning I worked on the car way into the evening yesterday. The paint may still need more attention on the drivers side but its not too bad for now.

Anyway back to the passenger side process. The metal was tacked in and the wheel arch shape achieved by making relief cuts before bending it over and trimming to size.

Then it was welded up fully, the welds ground down and the seam sealer put in at the front edge.

A coat of zinc rich primer followed by a small amount of filler to smooth the welds so that they are invisible once painted. 3 coats of high build primer, then silver coats, and clear coats where need. Finally followed up by spraying the satin finish black coats.

Finished Passenger side, which I am very happy with. :)

The drivers side came out ok, but not quite as good as the passenger side. Some further attention to the paint will be needed in a couple of weeks time once everything has hardened fully and can be sanded back.

Today I drove back up from my parents place, which is a two hours drive and gave the her a wash once I got home as she was covered in dust from 5 days of body work. MOT booked for the 7th May and i'm back to work tomorrow.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Well,

I start my car bodywork for beginners course on Monday night, therefore should be an expert by the finish of the course in June.

I should then be able to do some of that welding and painting stuff you do Sarah.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 pm

Its certainly a skill that comes in useful with these cars, they have so many rust traps. :roll:
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ColinB » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Nice work Sarah. I too start my course on car body work, I guess I'll see you there Eddie.
ColinB
OC Member
Colin Bell
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:19 pm

ColinB wrote:Nice work Sarah. I too start my course on car body work, I guess I'll see you there Eddie.

Thanks Colin. :D

Best of luck with your course both of you, soon you will be able to tell me everything I'm doing wrong.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:22 pm

Read these

Landrover rebuild by a lass which is not bad..
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/thre ... ild.51989/

But then read/weep at this .. wasted skills! .. a very skilled job... and if you read he has started another thread about metal bending skills.
http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/65793?page=1
His tip was to use Zinc coated steel which makes sense.. I have about 1.5 full sheets of 0.8mm .. opps!

.. anyone down London way? (Courier is a bit slow!) .. got an AC/DC TIG to pickup .. for my next bit of welding. Currently the 180A MIG is at max for my middle trailer rebuild and I will get the sand blaster working properly for that..

Oh good work on the welding.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby sarahlc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Just a short update as I most my interest is else where, but I still have Rika.

Last month got her through an MOT, I replaced the rear springs as one had snapped. Also did the rear brakes as one of the rear disks was in very poor state. Also the Mot flagged up a split track rod end dust cover, I had intended to get them replaced prior but ran out of time, so I had them in stock. The garage quoted £108 to do the track rod end, so I came home, got it done myself within an hour and got it back down for a pass on the same day, Not bad for a car that is 27 years old.

Also last month the Car past the 200000 km mark (import)

So we have had couple of recent adventures, on a recent trip up the Loch Rannoch area camping I took this photo. She isn't clean but I thought it summed up the adventure we were having. :D

sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Good to see you returning for a check in 2017!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Great to see Rika's still going strong :D
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member