Did you know Saturday is Christmas!!!

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Did you know Saturday is Christmas!!!

Postby Greg & Nic » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:17 pm

Well it is for me and Nic!! That's when we go down to York and pick up our wee Roadster. Dunno if anyones remotely interested but Nic and our daughter are engrossed in Big Brother and I refuse to watch that utter drivel!
Anyway...tomorrow has been 14 years or so in the making. And here's why. Being a car fanatic I knew all about MX5's long before they hit our shores. I had read about them in the press and just wanted one. So....we went to the Mazda dealer in Stirling (can't remamber for the life of me what it was called then...out near Cambusbarron?) and booked a test drive.....yep, actually booked it, as the demo car wasn't arriving for a month! So...it came the day and off we went to have our test drive...100% convinced we were going to buy one. We got there and had to wait until the car came back as someone else had it out for a run before us. Eventually we jumped in the car (roof up) and took it out of town. We took the car out of town and headed for the road towards Callander. After 10 mins we stopped and got the roof down and went for a blast......all the way to Callander then back again! When we got back the salesman was fuming. He was totally obnoxious to us both and made us feel like naughty teenagers for being away far too long!! What he didn't realise was that we had ready cash to spend on a new car and he just blew every chance that we would spend it with him! We were absolutely raging at being treated like this and drove off without even talking about a deal. For some reason we ended up in Falkirk and drove past Square Deal Motors (now SDM). As we passed I spotted a white Toyota Celica in the window and decided to go in for a look. Whilst looking at that car I spotted a gleaming red Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo squatting in the corner. It was an ex demo car with about 3000 miles on it....and guess what!!! Yep, we bought it there and then...all fourteen grand of it!. Anyway...for all these years in between we have known that we made a big mistake (especially in depreciation costs....ouch!) and said that one day we would get an MX5.
Well tomorrow is the day. I looked at around 12 cars, some local and a couple as far away as South Wales and one in Northampton. We found "our car" just outside York and knew within minutes it was the right one. British racing green V-spec, totally unmarked leather seats, bodywork that just lies about the age of the car and an owner who has obviously loved the wee beastie. And from tomorrow it's ours! We intentionaly went for an early car as it will be the 3rd in our stable behind the company plug and Nics workhorse. We didn't therefore want to spend a big lump and suffer depreciation depresion after a couple of years.
So there we are....a romantic MX5 story with a happy ending......unless of course the engine blows up on the drive home!!! :shock:
BB is finished now so I can stop typing..."thank F***" I hear you sigh!
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby DouglasH » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:57 pm

Good luck for tomorrow Greg, sounds like you've picked a good one, look forward to seeing you & Nic and the car.
Will you be fitting the new Toyo T1-R's after a while, not spoke to anyone with them yet, would be interested in how they perform on the Mx-5.
DouglasH

Postby boringchap » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:47 am

You pair have such really good taste, I'm glad you are eventually getting the car you desire. And from a personal note, we BRG owners should stick together! Welcome.

ps. If you want some chrome filler cap advice, don't speak to Colin (North Scotland, like myself) 'cause he doesn't have one (yet). Best speak to Bill, Mack, Dave, in fact just about anyone except Colin - even Blair said he's going to get one soon!

Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

Postby Greg & Nic » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:56 pm

Well the wait is over and we've now got the car. Left at 9am to travel to York yesterday morning. As I used to work for a company down there I estimated the journey time at 3 and a half hours or so (as that's how long it normaly took). Managed to get stuck behind evey caravan, tractor and 2CV on the road. Running over an hour late, we hit gridlock on the A64 and were stationary for a further 40 mins. Got to the sellers house at 2pm, frustrated and stressed. He didn't help by insisting that we go to his bank to deposit the Bank Counter Cheque (a method of payment he asked for as a security measure!). Anyway, got away from his at nearly 4pm and had to make a quick stop to fill up the Roadster and the Focus. Nic insisted I drive the Roadster as she wasn't sure of the roads or the car. I tried to insist she drove it....yeah right!!!!! :wink: First things first, checked the levels and all the bits and bobs , got the roof down and off we went. In five minutes my tension had gone and I was grinning like a madman! Myself and our ten year old daughter drove all the way to Dumfries (where she was being dropped off at Grannies) with the roof off and had a ball. At one point we had Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody full up with both of us doing the headbangin thing at the chorus!! And for anyone about to slag me off for my taste in music...don't bother...it was my daughters choice....she is music daft...unlike me who's just daft :shock:
So there we are...got home at about 10 last night, couple of beers and to bed. Up at 9, car washed and waxed then out for a blast. My back is now sore, my foreheads burnt and I'm going to have to get the smile surgically removed.
MX5's SHOULD BE COMPULSORY!!!!
Greg & Nic

Postby PaulDS » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:55 pm

Hi Greg,
Great story, can identify with lots of it. You enjoy it mate and I look forward to meeting up sometime in the North.
Paul
Findochty.
PaulDS

Postby Si » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:58 pm

Brilliant :D Glad to hear you enjoyed the run back up the road to Scotland!! Your journey towards MX-5 ownership didn't sound easy, but at least you got there in the end.

Congrats :D:D

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby sparkly » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:59 am

I'm going to have to get the smile surgically removed.
MX5's SHOULD BE COMPULSORY!!!!

Just seen this, thanks for the fantastic story, everyone who's followed your rocky road to reaching your dream car will also have a perma-grin after reading it! :D
sparkly

Postby inddigo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:25 am

Welcome Greg and Nic and now begins the addiction, hope you'll come join us in the runs they are great fun ( take it from us we are new too ) :)

Cheers,

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Postby Greg & Nic » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:00 pm

Thanks for the comments folks....and yes, it looks as if the addiction is well on the way to setting in! I find myself standing looking out of the window at the car...just admiring it for no good reason. A thirteen year old car for gawds sake and it's got me hooked. I've had some nice metal in my time and some that I've really enjoyed...but this wee beastie is just something different and I can't explain it! I'm planning to have a run up to Callander Classics for a blether with some other owners and I'm guessing many will be able to relate to the MX5 feeling.
And here's another wee part to this story....My brother came round yesterday and he fell in love with the car too. He was planning to get a car anyway but not being a car fan he hadn't even considered an MX5. Tomorrow we are travelling over to see the Yellow Fellow that's advertised in the far sale section here. If he buys it I will be extremely jealous....but hey, I can have it off him cheap in a couple of years eh!
Greg & Nic

Postby inddigo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:21 am

it looks as if the addiction is well on the way to setting in! I find myself standing looking out of the window at the car...just admiring it for no good reason. A thirteen year old car for gawds sake and it's got me hooked

You too, thank god thought it was only me......

Cheers

Andy
Andy and Jo
inddigo

Postby Fee » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:49 am

I think we all do that! The slightest noise in the street and hubby is right up at the window and it's not even his car, it's mine :D :D

Fi
Mk3 2 litre Sport Brilliant Black
Mk 2.5 Crystal Blue - Gone But Not Forgotten
OC 12837
Fee

Postby inddigo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:57 am

hehe nice 1 Fi :) has ur husband consider getting 1, i know if we could we would have another 1, would save the race for the keys in the morning......

:D

Andy
Andy and Jo
inddigo

Welcome Greg and Nic

Postby Zoom Zoom » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:58 pm

Hi Greg and Nic - Nice story, glad you eventually got the car you always wanted. I was much the same, took 10years for me to realise I could just about afford one!! and BTW there is nothing wrong with Bohemian Rhapsody :-) ..Jon
Zoom Zoom

Postby Fee » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:13 pm

Andy, hubby would love to drive but unfortunately he has a very rare eye disease which means he would never pass the sight part of the test :( . It gets a bit tiring at times as I have to drive everywhere we go, but hey ho, that's the way it goes.

Fi
Mk3 2 litre Sport Brilliant Black
Mk 2.5 Crystal Blue - Gone But Not Forgotten
OC 12837
Fee

Postby inddigo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:18 pm

Sorry to hear that Fi, still you have to drive everywhere....in a '5' that must really be tough 8)

Andy
Andy and Jo
inddigo

Return to General Chat