Do we need this forum?

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Re: Do we need this forum?

Postby iainf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:51 am

DrewN wrote:Re Iain Fleming's comment that the forum has had it's day.
I must disagree. I personally do not like Facebook and I am sure there are are fair number out there who will agree with me (although there will probably be plenty who disagree with me).
The regular users of the Scottish website appreciate what it has to offer. The website allows a single point of information and ability for members (and non members) to sign up for events, not just a forum facility.
The forum is a useful addition that is included in the overall cost of maintaining the website.
Discussions are ongoing as to the future of our loal website and how it is funded. I for one would like it to continue.
We are still waiting for the launch of the new national website and will reserve judgement on whether this could make the Scottish website redundant until it is available.

Drew the traffic on here speaks otherwise.
What do you mean how its funded?
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Iain, I'm talking to Roger and Ian J and the Scottish AC's about how the domain and hosting fees are managed.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Scott_J » Wed May 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Forums are unfortunately a vicious circle of decline. I used to log in a lot but as fewer new posts log in less often. FB has upsides and many downsides .
Scott_J

Postby drumtochty » Thu May 04, 2017 9:19 am

As a matter of interest how are the numbers of paid up MX5 club members holding up in Scotland since say 2005.

I notice the members list on the website is well out of date.

At the Pitlochry Spring Rally in May 2013 there were loads of English members turning up say well over 200.

At al the other main OC meetings I guess at most 10 Scottish members turn up.

I have never gone down south for one of the big meetings.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Thu May 04, 2017 12:26 pm

I can't do historical, however current overall membership in Scotland is 286 memberships.

I feel this is down on say 10 years ago though don't have the data to prove it.

The 286 is split with roughly 60% in Central belt and the remainder scattered through the interesting bits :lol:
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Thu May 04, 2017 3:14 pm

So keeping up much better than I guessed
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Thu May 04, 2017 4:58 pm

5M Scots in 65M UK population = 7.7%
286 Scots means 3700 UK members.
So seems fair .. and getting more than 10% of the Scots out in one place i.e. 30 max would be a likely number as most members seem to be "passive", and 200 UK members is only 5% which again is fair. All comes from the fact we are a small in numbers in Scotland (but 30% of the area :-) )

I was member 3002 I think .. lapsed now about 4-5 years due to the poor method of paying the subscription i.e. no Direct Debit at the time whereas other subscription have been going for +25 years because they managed to set up Direct Debit. I would even sign up again if I got my number back. I went down to 4 annual Nationals at one time which were interesting enough as a single car guy and let me meet faces behind the forum. Not sure I would drag someone else down to one especially and the last couple tied up with other things like going around Europe.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby IanH » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:26 am

Just a wee update, fees are due on 7th November to maintain this site for another two years. If we can agree a funding method then this site will continue and I'll look to update a few elements over the winter, minor updates only, it works pretty well for what it does.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby drumtochty » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:53 pm

IanH wrote: it works pretty well for what it does.

Agreed
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Previous

Return to General Chat