Lidl Aldi Smart Car Battery Chargers £14

If you have goods/services that you feel may benefit MX-5 owners, please advertise here. If you are unsure about whether your ad is suitable for this section, please contact us (via the "Help" menu item). Posts automatically removed after 30 days.

Lidl Aldi Smart Car Battery Chargers £14

Postby drumtochty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:34 pm

They are in Aldi now and Lidl on Thursday 22nd September also lots of other stuff you never knew you needed and have lived life in the past without!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Lidl Aldi Smart Car Battery Chargers £14

Postby mgrays » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Good value but they forget their settings everytime there is a power cut .. so you need to reset them to "car" by pushing a button twice. Have a couple but the older/more expensive ones which are dedicated to cars only (the Aldi ones do motorbikes too) do not need reset after every powercut. Anyway .. a minor niggle if you are prepared to check it every couple of weeks.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby iain cooper » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:56 pm

you just get what you pay for, waste of money :roll:

Iain
iain cooper

Postby drumtochty » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Run that one past us again.

Lots of people have used these with no great problems.

Now the battery charger expert from Argyle says they are a waste of money.

What are you talking about?
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:23 pm

I have 4 battery conditioners.

2 are the older/expensive "Airflow" that now cost £45 on ebay but only charge 12V battery. I have had cars left on these for over 12 months (and so through lots of power cuts) and they have been in perfect condition without touching them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Automatic ... 3641.l6368

2 are from Lidl. These can do 6V and 12V but when you turn them on they default into "no mode". You have to select/press a button twice to shift through "no mode" and "6V motorbike mode" into "12V car mode". However when you get a power cut they forget the mode .. and go back to "no mode". So if there is a power cut it stops working.. so I found a battery dead after a few months and a missed power cut. Now Lidl could be selling something else before or after my purchase.
Looks like this £23 one here; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultimate-Spee ... SwhQhYxBf7
Indeed it is but for £14 if you burn petrol/leather to go pick it up from Thurs 21st;
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offe ... cleId=6216

Suspect there are a few 12V only ones on ebay for £24 if you searched that would not reset;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5A-Car-Sm ... Swt0JZlqx1

None will revive a dead battery by the way .. need a proper battery charger for that (someone borrowed mine a few months back..grrr, luckily I have unmounted batteries and a fairly decent set of jump leads).

They are not a waste of money.. but they have limitations. Compared to the £70 odd that I paid for the Airflow units they are a bargain at £14 but given the limitations I would pay £24 for one that I could fit and forgot for the winter .. but if I was going to Dubai again for a year or so I would spend £45 on an Airflow unit that is built well (I managed to run over one with a 2t 4x4 and it still works). One is 18 years old, one 10 years old.

Tip would be to have a cable with inline power plug wired in. Then you can just plug it in inside the cabin and no need to access the battery. I did this using Maplin parts, bit of a faff but it makes it easier to stop you driving off as the unit is on the driver's seat ( the airflow is designed to hang on the window so you can see the lights/condition).
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby salmo-n » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 am

Many years ago I purchased the Ctek MXS 5 model to keep the battery on charge over the lay up periods in the garage. Cost me perhpas £60 at the time and has been faultless throughout. It's nice to simply plug in and forget, it does the rest, trickle charge, reconditioning etc as it says in the book. Still available in various places for between £65 - 85 and there are no doubt others that do the same. Worth shopping around to get what you really need & will provide you with years of service.
salmo-n
OC Member
Raymond Collett
Central Scotland Coordinator

Return to For-Sale (trade)