A couple of wee jobs

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

A couple of wee jobs

Postby 71NotOut » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:38 pm

I've been tinkering and treating my Eunos to some new bits recently, thought you might be interested...

Firstly, I detangoed my front sidelights

Then I smoothed them by sanding off the raised letters and polished them back up

I also did the side reflectors and repeaters

I also fitted some LED sidelight bulbs - what a difference!

Today, I got round to fitting my Jass Performance retro window toggle switches and brushed metal vent surrounds

You can see the Zoom door mirrors in that shot as well

It's getting there bit by bit to what I have in my mind!
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: A couple of wee jobs

Postby Telly Addict » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:27 am

Loving the finish on the lenses, great job!
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby Ginger Nuts » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:57 pm

It's the little things that make a difference, great bit of work you've done.

How did you de-tango the sidelights? I'd like to do that to mine now, already got the led sidelights in :D
Ginger Nuts

Postby 71NotOut » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Ginger Nuts wrote:It's the little things that make a difference, great bit of work you've done.

How did you de-tango the sidelights? I'd like to do that to mine now, already got the led sidelights in :D

Took them off and put them one at a time in the oven. (120 degrees for around 12 mins, fan assisted :D).

Take it out, and using a wide blade flat screwdriver, prize the clear plastic away from the white backing. When trying to prize the bottom edge off, you need to help the white plastic over the edge of the clips slightly (self explanatory when you see them).

Careful not to let any of the gooey glue strands from dropping into the inside of the lens or you'll need to clean them.

Remove the 2 small screws holding the orange plastic lens on the inside of the unit - IMPORTANT - replace these screws as they hold the reflector in place.

If you are fast enough, the glue should still be soft enough to allow you to push the 2 sections back together, if not, put them back in the oven for 5 mins or so.

Be careful - I was a bit over zealous on one of my test subjects and put a dip into the clear lens by using too much force pushing them back together.

I ran a small amount of clear sealant around the top just to be sure of no water ingress once refitted back onto the car.

You will need to buy a silvatec or similar indicator bulb - they look silver, but flash orange (witchcraft I tells thee) so it looks clear when fitted to the unit.

Just take your time and it is pretty straightforward - I managed it :)
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Ginger Nuts » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:20 pm

Blimey 'O' Riley - didn't think it'd involve Mary Berry and some gas mk4 :lol:

Think I've got an old sidelight kicking around somewhere (don't ask - random bits have a habit of accumulating in the garage from time to time), so it can be my guinea pig.

Used Silvatecs before, really good and give the car a clean modern look without resorting to stupid Lex-arse light clusters from a chavvy Corsa.

Thanks for the how - to. :D
Ginger Nuts

Return to Photo Gallery