new Fiat 124 sports

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

new Fiat 124 sports

Postby tjay » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Release at the L A Motorshow, love it, love it in blue and think I would have one over the Mx5 !!
fait124-la-lead.jpg
fiat-124-sp-la-0190.jpg
Attachments
fiat-124-spider-a-0146.jpg
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: new Fiat 124 sports

Postby Scott_J » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:23 am

Dare I say it looks better than ND , IMHO, though I loved the ND when I first saw it and drove it. And a 200 BHP Abarth version! Come on Mazda pull the finger out. I had an Abarth Uno Turbo that had 130 bhp 26years ago. And it only weighed 900kgs. Progress please...
Scott_J

Postby 71NotOut » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:33 am

Hints of Maserati in the front 3 quarter IMO - looks lovely!
Previously in a 2003 Montana, and a 1991 V-Special...Now in a Bongo!!
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:38 am

Miles better looking than the ND to my eyes.
A great balance of a decent, if contoversial, design with a dash of Italian flair.
It'll still be shoddy underneath though coming from the same factory.
Rock the Abarth when it happens. Wake up Mazda please....
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby ColinB » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:43 am

I really like the look of it though I hear it's heavier and has less power than the ND. But on looks alone, very nice.
ColinB
OC Member
Colin Bell
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby iainf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:16 pm

I think you are all going mad?

Maybe you are the demographic of the blokes they are trying to attract in the advert...
http://pstream.lastampa.it.dl1.ipercast ... V0RzYo.mp4
(I won't comment on the medical issues if you are)

I have been around and passionate about cars and classics all my life, I understand the mk4 and have really come to appreciate the design that went in to it - but this thing is terrible, a shoddy pastiche of a pretty mediocre car first time around - what the hell were they thinking with the front and rear quarters it is awful and really looks like one of those Chinese fakes you see. As for Italian flair? Italian fail more like this has so little going for it in the looks department compared to so many Italian designs that it's the Mk4 hands down.

Sorry this thing is forgettable, it needs to be Abarth'd for any hope, I can't see it being around for long, looks dated already.

But as I seem to be pretty much the only one calling emperor's new clothes, I'll carry on enjoy talking MX-5s with people here while you all enjoy yourselves getting it up over at the 124 club.
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:37 pm

While everyone is entitled to measured & well presented opinions Ian,I'd leave the rants to Andrew Neil .
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder after all.
I for one have been around sports cars for 45 years, and appreciate the finer points of design and capabilities.
While I too "get" the ND, the front end is an "origami meets Veilside" fail to my eyes,and will date quicker than a piano down a lift shaft.
The rear to me is a wannabe Jag "pastiche" and I'm not alone in that. Others....think it's drop dead gorgeous all round.
However, as I've said previously, after an epic experience at the North Berwick VIP day, I'd still have one in a few years just for it's cockpit and dynamics...once someone else has paid the depreciation & interest payments.
Nor is there any reason why possible future purchasers should not enjoy being part of the 5 scene...they are sister vehicles after all with a common interest and I would hope for mature appreciation from either party.
That was a pretty grim post Ian from an "officer" of the Club in my opinion but then it's not your first is it?
Have a Cadbury's Caramel ol' chap! :roll:
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
OldSpice

Postby iainf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:50 pm

OldSpice wrote:While everyone is entitled to measured & well presented opinions Ian,I'd leave the rants to Andrew Neil .
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder after all.
I for one have been around sports cars for 45 years, and appreciate the finer points of design and capabilities.
While I too "get" the ND, the front end is an "origami meets Veilside" fail to my eyes,and will date quicker than a piano down a lift shaft.
The rear to me is a wannabe Jag "pastiche" and I'm not alone in that. Others....think it's drop dead gorgeous all round.
However, as I've said previously, after an epic experience at the North Berwick VIP day, I'd still have one in a few years just for it's cockpit and dynamics...once someone else has paid the depreciation & interest payments.
Have a Cadbury's Caramel ol' chap! :roll:

It wasn't a rant.
I just can't see anything attractive in it and it genuinely just terrible cobbling together of rivisted ideas but without flair - I can't understand why I seem to be the only one.

I did not like the mk4 when I saw it first and I was lucky to see it a long time ago, but I have spent a good bit of time with one now and I would get one, it was much the same with the mk3, but even though the mk4 was a shock new direction, I saw elements in it that I really liked from the get go, this I just don't get.
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby John H » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:04 pm

Well, for the record, I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the ND (though it is slowly growing on me) and was therefore really looking forward to the 124.

Oh dear, what a botch up. Clearly Fiat have gone for the retro look, (rather than the shrunked Jag look of the Mazda) but have missed it by a mile to my eyes. Such a missed opportunity. Just look at the wheels for example, a duller bit of design would be hard to think of, with no reference to the old 124 Spider either.

I see Chris Harris said that it manages to make the new car look like the old MK2 NB version, and I think he's right. Sadly the Mk2 was my least favourite of all the MX5's, so it's hardly a compliment. I'll reserve my final judgement till I see one in the metal, but I am very disappointed with what I see in these photos.
John H

Postby Scott_J » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:14 pm

I love that ad, ha ha , at least he isn't a hairdresser or an old dear trying to look like Hilary Clinton..... :lol:

As for the 124, lets see it in the metal. I loved the press pics of the ND, thought it looked like a baby Ferrari California. Then when I saw it at the North Berwick driving experience realised it was a baby Jag. Loved my test drive and may buy one used in 5 years, however I may buy the 124 if it has a decent Abarth bhp version. Still have fond memories of my Abarth Uno when I was a daft 20something :mrgreen:

Lets hope 124 owners are welcome at Mazda meets. I've seen all this before with Vauxhall VX220 owners going their own way from Lotus Elise owners. The VX220 was known as a Opel Speedster in LHD versions, i.e EU, and Lotus even gave it a type number, Type 116 iirc. so 3 names for the one car.

On the same vein can't ever see me driving a Chrysler Ypsilon, but if it was called a Lancia Ypsilon on the V5 i'd probably trade my Mini tomorrow. I love Italian cars.

Oh and for the record I didn't take Ians post as rant.
Scott_J

Postby IanH » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:45 pm

It's a see it in the flesh thing, from the pictures it looks like it would work quite well as a larger car, however knowing the dimensions of the ND it may not work so well.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Telly Addict » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:33 pm

John H wrote:...I see Chris Harris said that it manages to make the new car look like the old MK2 NB version, and I think he's right. Sadly the Mk2 was my least favourite of all the MX5's, so it's hardly a compliment. I'll reserve my final judgement till I see one in the metal, but I am very disappointed with what I see in these photos.

I was just thinking that it reminds me of the Mk2, but then I quite like that version! :P
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby tjay » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:51 am

Ooooo IF !!! you said "I have been around sports cars all your life and you do not like" . Well I have been around sports a bit longer than you and have driven and enjoyed many great sports car while working in Europe and the middle east.
Seen good cars come and go too ! Had a 124 sports convertible in the 80's followed that with a 124 spider 1800 twin cam c/w full Arbarth conversion on it, awesome car to drive to drive, blew most of my mates away, even ran a Corvette for on summer !! but that's another story !! but I like the Mx5's that followed many years later It was a rust bucket !!
I have had more Mx5's than anyone else that I know and have/still am enjoying them that does not mean to say that I have to like them anymore because of that.
Have test driven the ND and though I loved the cabin was not to sure on driving it, best Mx I have driven is the RS 140bhp car. ticked every box, but it was just "A car" like all before and after.
Me I prefer the looks of the Fiat, both front and rear look better to me. I hope too that the driving will be much the same but, and it's a big but, my next sports will be an MX5 as there is no way on gods green earth that I would ever buy a new one when there is so many good used ones out there that can be purchased cheaply and then modified to your own needs/wants !!
:D :D :D :D :D
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:49 am

IanH wrote:It's a see it in the flesh thing, from the pictures it looks like it would work quite well as a larger car, however knowing the dimensions of the ND it may not work so well.

As above.
The NDs definately look far better in the flesh as well.
In my view they are also the most colour sensitive 5s made to date.
Suffice to say the colours are, so far, very restrictive and a lost opportunity..but that's all been "forumed out" already.
To push the boat out , I think the 124 would be great in some of the retro colours we see Fiat doing with 500's recently...but how quickly would they date as well?
OldSpice

Postby ruggiebloke » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:34 pm

I like the overall look of the Fiat, but that double black plastic grille makes it look cheap/American.

Is anyone any good at photoshopping? Would be good to see what it looked like with a Zunsport style grille.
ruggiebloke

Postby attila » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:24 pm

fait124-la-lead adjusted.jpg
I admit to being very new to Photoshop but here is my attempt to change the grills.
attila
OC Member
Charlie Grant
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ruggiebloke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Good effort. Thank you.
ruggiebloke

Postby attila » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:14 pm

I agree with you, not so keen on the black plastic grilles. Like it better with the Chrome Grille
Fitted my MK3 with a SunSport Grille and think it lookes the better for it. Not very clear here. Horses for etc. :)
Attachments
Charlie Grant 3 Resized.jpg
attila
OC Member
Charlie Grant
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:45 pm

The pictures of the blue one in particular make is look quite tall. I like the front, don't like the rear, kind of the opposite to my feelings on the ND looks.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Photo Gallery