Mk 2.5 Sport refurbed

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

Mk 2.5 Sport refurbed

Postby OldSpice » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:20 pm

There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Re: Mk 2.5 Sport refurbed

Postby IanH » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Looking fab, again...
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Macscorcher » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:01 pm

Looking fantastic enjoy !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Macscorcher

Postby bmv6197 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:03 am

Looks very nice - I always prefer to see the money spent and a car returned to its former glory than yet another sent to the scrapper!

Can I ask why the garage (who sound very knowledgeable) reckon you'll only get 7 years out of the repair? Surely, if original parts were used, or even better if they fabricated their own better quality parts, plus they applied a level of care and attention that was clearly far more than Mazda did in the first place, including plenty of rust inhibitor products, then it should last far longer than the original bodywork (which itself has lasted 13 years, even if it was riddled with holes after that time...

Anyway, enjoy!

Cheers,
Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby OldSpice » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:24 am

Brad.Vigers wrote:Looks very nice - I always prefer to see the money spent and a car returned to its former glory than yet another sent to the scrapper!

Can I ask why the garage (who sound very knowledgeable) reckon you'll only get 7 years out of the repair?
Anyway, enjoy!

Cheers,
Brad.

Fair question.
Thanks for the comments!
TBH, they offer a 5 years G'tee on their metalwork, which is very reasonable. At the end of the day, the metalwork they introduce has to butt onto OEM metal..and we know now, especially in the past 5 years or so the story about Mazda Mk2/Mk2.5 with especially cheap & nasty 2nd division steels. All in the interests of lightness/price of course. :wink: I guess they have to draw a line of life expectancy somewhere so for me if we get a good solid 4/5 years out of it without more (major) rot heartaches (even if we keep it that long which I doubt..we have had it 9 years already) then that's fair. If we do, the "new" Mk2.5 we have works out at an "investment" of 86 pence per day. :D . Nor can it depreciate much anymore. They have hit rock bottom even for "good ones" like ours now. The refurbishment I've just paid for would have bought a genuine "solid" car with "only" surface issues.....aye...in a pigs ear. :wink:
The safest way to view a Mk2/2.5 if buying is just to assume it's got lurking issues yet to erupt..and all that glisters is not gold.

It's been rot proofed chemically as well, but the bottom line is the basic shells were stamped out of less than fantastic sheet metals. There's lots more that can go wrong despite aggressive chemicals in these cars. Front floor sections, rear sections, above the fuel tank, where the sub-chassis bolt onto the shell, etc etc. That's what they were alluding to more than anything.

I think...if some enterprising people considered an " MG type Heritage shell" business for Mk1's, there would be a market for them in a few years.
Mk2/Mk2.5s? I doubt they will ever touch the affections of the public quite as much...or Mk3's.
I say this because the only way to G'tee a long structural like is to start with a bare fresh shell, and get it zinc dipped, and then chemically proofed inside out.
Otherwise, they will rot sooner or later..and judging by a few Mk3s I've seen recently, sooner than later.
Furthermore, judging by recent in depth inspections, Mazda have learned & done nothing about production/anti rot quality controls with the Mk4.
I guess...why should they?
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:44 am

The heritage shell thing is a bit weired.

It costs £8k for an MG Midget shell and up to £10k for an MGB shell yet when someone buys one and decides to sell rather than complete their project they are lucky to get a few thousand for it.

Recently there was a Mazda UK imported Mk1 shell that was sold by the warehouse that owned it and it was in perfect condition and it only went if I remember of around £1k to £1.5k.

For those of us sad enough to hang around in MG and Triumph forums, you will find even when cars have been re shelled or have had very high quality panel replacement within 10 years or so they are stripped again for a further refurb. There was recently a 1959 Frogeye Sprite sold that had been stored in a dry garage and had no welding needing done.

That was unusual.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Macscorcher » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:54 am

I'd have to agree with Drumtochty here. I bought a heritage shell for my Mini but only because I had to. The quality of metal isn't fantastic & neither is the standard of rust proofing !

Great that there is that option available but should be a last resort I'd say !

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Macscorcher

Postby OldSpice » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:00 am

Damn right guys. I would not do it myself.
Oh no....I'll just pour cash downn the the throat of an existing one! :lol:
OldSpice

Postby tjay » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:00 pm

looks better than new !! most probably is too !! well done that man !! another one saved !!
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 71NotOut » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:31 pm

Looks lovely buddy - money well spent IMO.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:28 am

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.
For some reason, SWMBO felt a bit nervous taking it out yesterday. It may have been the alien mix of new paint and curing chemicals underneath creating powerful odours...that will settle in a few days. She took it down gingerly to our local retail park, and got a space far away from Brat Carriers & Chelsea Tractors. We did our gym classes, had a spot of lunch, and returned to the Sport...only to find the biggest shyte-hawk deposit you ever have seen on the boot! So, that's it Christened I guess. :evil:
A quick 2 bucket back home while the c**p was still semi liquid took care of it...but Madam was not best pleased!
That's life!
OldSpice

Postby OldSpice » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:38 am

Regarding shytehawks, this solution seems reasonable.
https://youtu.be/5Q5hGv5Els0
OldSpice

Return to Photo Gallery