mmm...miata

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

mmm...miata

Postby Sprockutt » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi All,
I recently went down to England and bought myself a low mileage Mk1 that the previous owner had for around five years. When he bought it, it had done around 8k miles and it had done around 22k miles when I bought it. During the last five years it had been maintained by the Mazda Mender and it drives superbly well. It will need some tidying but overall it's in excellent condition and over time I hope to get it up to show standard. I've had William Nicol of Acci-dent out to sort a couple of small dents out already. One in the boot where the typical something to tall for the boot had caused a small dent and one small dent in the fuel flap. He done an excellent job and I can highly recommend him if any of you have anything similar needing done.

Here are some pics of the car..
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lpq15o4xjep0gcf/egm1CojR6i
Last edited by Sprockutt on Thu May 19, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprockutt

Re: My Mk1 1.8iS...

Postby skatty » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:22 pm

That's one very tidy MK1, you have there, :D
skatty

Postby IanN » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm very very nice, hope to see it around sometime soon,
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby robert craig » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Very smart car, got to love the mk1. :D
robert craig
OC Member
Robert Craig

Postby bmv6197 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:24 am

Lovely car - very well looked after by the looks of things. Enjoy!

Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby Sprockutt » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm loving the MX5 ownership experience so far. My wee boy is also loving the roof down wind in the hair thing and is in charge of the pop up headlight button. He was especially pleased when I picked him up from his school with the roof down. As we were driving out the school a few of the boys shouted 'whooooaa COOL CAR! The smile on his face was priceless :D

Hopefully make it along to a meet at some point to put a face to some of the names on the site.

Cheers,

D
Sprockutt

Postby Sprockutt » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:48 pm

As has been documented elsewhere I have had some major engine issues with my wee car. So I had a choice to either cut my losses and sell it on as a solid low mileage bodyshell or invest some more cash in it and get it all sorted out. My decision was helped by Oldspice on here having a professionally re-worked 1.8 cylinder head and finding an excellent garage in Automek in EK. I almost went for shipping it down to AK Automotive and having a full replacement engine fitted but the fact that Automek had such a fantastic reputation and they were very handy made the most sense.

So the car is still a work in progress but as you can see from the engine re-build pics it is getting there.I also treated it and me to an OEM relplica lip spoiler from IM Motorsports which the guys at Automek fitted whilst it was in. Incidentally Andrew at Automek said that it look like the car has had some restoration work done previously as every nut underneath the car had been removed and copper slipped etc. It's now with Harry Fairbairns in Giffnock having the wheels refurbished and a full set of TOYO Proxes fitted. After that it will be going back to Automek to have a full Geo set up done on Monday.

Then after all this work I'm finally planning to drive the thing and hopefully put a smile back on my face. I'm organising a driving weekend with some mates in October to go up to Glen Coe and the Claichaig to partake in the October beer festival they have going on. Then the next day up to Applecross to finally sample the road that is the Bealach Na Bà. Although Oldspice mentioned the Dukes Pass so am up for a run through there before the weekend in October.

I'll keep the thread updated with everything I'm having done and hopefully also some pics of my many journeys to come.

These pics remind me that I will need to try and remove the ugly brown sound proofing that the previous owner had fitted under the bonnet. Will most likely be a nightmare though depending on what kind of adhesive he has used to stick them all on.

Just waiting on the wheels to go back on..

Sprockutt

Postby Sprockutt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Wheels refurbished, painted and new Toyo tyres fitted. All set for full geo set up on Monday..

Sprockutt

Postby Macscorcher » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Really pleased to see you decided to fix this ! Great looking car & sounds like you've got some good fun roads ahead ! Look forward to seeing it out & about ! If u see a nutter in a mk3 waving then its probably me !

Bob
Macscorcher

Postby Macscorcher » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:45 pm

What are the chances ! Think i just passed you ! On EastwoodMains Road heading towards Williamwood.

Bob
Macscorcher

Postby Sprockutt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Macscorcher wrote:What are the chances ! Think i just passed you ! On EastwoodMains Road heading towards Williamwood.

Bob

No way! How weird is that :shock:

Nice car btw :)

Wheels and tyres looking good after the refurb by Harry Fairbairn MINI. All the wheels and centers were rubbed down, any corrosion removed, painted and lacquered. Nice job.

Chin spoiler fitted...

Nice and shiny thanks to a Fairbairns valet. All part of the wheel refurb service. :)

Sprockutt

Postby bmv6197 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Looking great - good choice hanging onto the car and bringing it back to life!

Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby Mamore » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi
Most impressed lovely example! My one is a MK1 in BRG work in progress, now I know what to aim for !! :D
Mamore

Postby Sprockutt » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:10 pm

Some more update pics...

I've been researching the pro's and cons of fitting an air intake to the car. Normally I'm not one for unnecessary bling and wouldn't have dreamt of fitting one if everything had been original on the car. But seeing as the engine has been replaced/rebuilt and previously had the cam cover changed with a polished one. I have been considering fitting the Racing Beat Air Intake. I know it doesn't add much in the way of extra horses but it does give the car a more characterful sound and this specific one is very well designed and looks like it's meant to be there. So I went for it and I'm glad I did. The difference is very subtle to almost no existent when the car is idling or even up to around 4-5000 revs but over that and it puts a smile on my face. Simple things and all that. :)

I've also been busy on the car's bodywork and treated it to a thorough detailing job. This took the best part of two days and as you can see from the above engine bay pics basically included the entire car. I also removed the hideous DIY under bonnet sound proofing which makes a big difference to the look of the engine bay.

Also cleaned up the boot area and fitted a brand new WestCo battery from MX5 parts.

Sprockutt

Postby IanN » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Your car now looks like new, well done.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby Sprockutt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:39 pm

My new wheels arrived today! Have treated the car to a set of used 14" Enkei J-Speeds to replace the 15" Mk2 Sport wheels that were on the car when I bought it. I'm going to get the rims polished by Mike the polisher to get them looking as good as new before fitting a set of Dunlop Sport BluResponse tyres...

Sprockutt

Postby Sprockutt » Thu May 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Not been on for a while and was asked by OldSpice how the car was going on another thread. He probably wished he had never asked after I had finished going through the full window out respray, engine rebuild by Dan at AK Automotive etc. I can't even be bothered going through the list of work this car's had done to it. But after an expensive year it is now very shiny and driving and sounding great.

Here are the results...

Sprockutt

Postby CaptainNorth » Thu May 19, 2016 2:55 pm

That is a fantastic car, I don't think I've seen one as perfect as that - even when they were new.

Now it's time for you to go and do some donuts in a field :D

Cheers
Dave
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power
CaptainNorth

Postby Sprockutt » Thu May 19, 2016 2:57 pm

CaptainNorth wrote:That is a fantastic car, I don't think I've seen one as perfect as that - even when they were new.

Now it's time for you to go and do some donuts in a field :D

Cheers
Dave

Thanks very much. It's taken a lot of work to get it to that standard but it's no trailer queen...just back from the NC500 with the Scottish Fivers and it already has a couple of badges of honour :D
Sprockutt

Postby CaptainNorth » Thu May 19, 2016 3:16 pm

Fantastic! Look forward to maybe seeing it at the Braemar gathering.
Red is the best colour too.
Cheers
Dave
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power
CaptainNorth

Next

Return to Photo Gallery