Cutting out rusty sill

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

Cutting out rusty sill

Postby Clarkyboy1968 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:00 am

Planned to sand a few minor rust patches on the MK2 Icon.... Was worse lurking. Cut out the rusting metal, Inner sill was solid so some Vactan sorted that and then sprayed some waxoyl in. Cut new steel panel, shaped and welded in. Filled, sanded and primed. Just waiting for the base coat and lacquer to be delivered..... A good days work and very satisfying......ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Clarkyboy1968

Re: Cutting out rusty sill

Postby tjay » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:11 pm

looking good, they do say prevention is better than the cure !! Hope that you remembered to clean out your drain holes as they are usually the cause of the tin worm when left blocked !!
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Cutting out rusty sill

Postby Clarkyboy1968 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Yes Tom, that was what prompted me to start it. I bought a trombone cleaning brush and it cleared them a treat. When i went to tidy up the arch
I noticed how bad it was it the corner.... Its the girlfriends car so haven't really paid too much attention as late. Hopefully caught it in time.
If we get a good weekend then I will be tackling the other side. If i had the money then I would have got Paul to do it properly but as we've just bought
a new house finances dictated I had to give it a go. Not bad for my first attempt.... :)
Clarkyboy1968

Cutting out rusty sill

Postby Clarkyboy1968 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Finally finished the base and clear coat today. Still think a bit more compounding would bring out a better shine. Nevertheless think it looks ok for a short term fix.
Clarkyboy1968

Return to Photo Gallery