Daves Red NA MX5......aka Mindy!

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

Re: Daves Red NA MX5......aka Mindy!

Postby OldSpice » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:42 am

Re "non flush" door pulls? TBH it's just age related mechanism wear & tear. My driver's side has been like that for as long as I can recall.
Suppose if you stripped it all out, you could make a difference...or get used bits and find.....they are as bad!
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Lol just my OCD Robin, wee things like that really bug me! :lol:
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:01 pm

OCD?
You know what's happening to mine soon!
Re door handles....looks like an easy cure if you are into rubber. :shock:
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Lol used to have a phrase when we were on the CB radio in our cars and on the move..........we were "burning rubber"! :lol: only rubber I've been into is tyre rubber! Lol

Oh yes, think ocd will be shown on a whole new level when your 5 is done mate!! 8)
chillax

Postby chillax » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Not a lot been happening in Mindy's world recently due to time of year. Did hwoever get the last wheel finally into lacquer just before Christmas and then went out yesterday and got it fitted so she's now sitting on her original alloys all refurbed. Another reason I was out in the garage yesterday........my mrs Gayle got me a wee present for Mindy for my Christmas! We both love the stainless sill steps/covers, so she found me an original set and got me those. We fitted them yesterday and they really make a big difference when you open the door. Looks so much better now she has some jewellery on! Do like a bit of bling! I'll get a photo posted soon.

Really wanted to take her out today for a drive, but the roads are still damp/wet around here. Gayle told me under no uncertain terms is Mindy venturing out onto the roads when there's still salt on them! Think she's more protective of this little car than even I am!! lol :D :lol:
chillax

Postby chillax » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:15 am

So, a little update! As some of you may already know, when I went to work on Carly (My 2008 MINI Cooper, replacing rear calipers then bleeding brakes) things did not go smoothly! After new calipers were fitted, Gayle and I were in the garage finishing off bleeding the brakes. And that's when it happened! I had a heart attack! I didn't have a clue what was happening but luckily Gayle spotted the signs and got me into the house then called for an ambulance. Wont go into too much details but they had a team waiting at the door pf the ERI who took me from ambulance straight into theatre. Two stents fitted then up to cardiac care unit. Both the team and the ambulance crew said if Gayle hadn't acted so quickly, I wouldn't be here now.

So obviously restoring Mindy has ground to a halt due to me having to recover and rebuild my strength/repair my old ticker. Well, not entirely ground to a halt! hehehe. I have changed her head unit again, after picking up a Pioneer DAB/USB head unit really cheap (like, £20!). Got it all fitted although it did have a fault with it's own wiring harness which I had to repair but all as good as new now. Had a spare brand new DAB ariel lying about in the garage so fitted that and all working perfectly. Love having the USB, as it means (like my other cars) no more CD's rattling about in the car. Will get photos of the new head unit when I remember, but here's a few of Mindy on a wee run yesterday down the coast road. Decided it was sunny, and I needed cheering up so off we tootled. Actually gave her quite a good blast, and even with the knackered suspension, totally enjoyed it. Flashed at a silver MK2 MX5 going through Port Seton but he blanked me! lol

And my fav photo of her so far..

Hope you like. Will be tackling replacing the suspension once I have my strength back, then engine service/belts along with draining the brake fluid and renewing it (hopefully no dramas this time round!!)
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:19 am

Very nice indeed. Good progress.
Keep it up.
Mine is something of a Pilgrim's Progress...... :(

In the not too distant future good solid Mk1's will be actively sought after, as indeed they are now but more so.
Later well developed cars are so much "better" in their different ways as they should be but pop-ups will always possess "something" none of them can ever have.
Amazing to think they kicked off 3 decades back.

One wonders how many subsequent marques (including current NDs & going back SWMBO's Mk2.5) will be an object of car-park admiration & attraction in years ahead if they have not largely dissolved to recycled Zanussi tumble driers. A contemporary Elise gets a nod but an Elan Sprint gets a crowd. :wink:
It'll pay you back one day Dave in a few ways.
Looking forward to a two-car glen blast this year. :wink:
OldSpice

Postby gm » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:13 pm

bloody hell - I didn't know working on modern cars was so dangerous :)

seriously though, I'm glad to hear you are alive and kicking, take it easy and make sure you are fully fit before breaking out the spanners again.

the little red car is looking lovely, especially in that East Lothian sunshine, you do have some cracking roads to play on down there.
gm

Postby chillax » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:17 pm

OldSpice wrote:Very nice indeed. Good progress.
Keep it up.
Mine is something of a Pilgrim's Progress...... :(

In the not too distant future good solid Mk1's will be actively sought after, as indeed they are now but more so.
Later well developed cars are so much "better" in their different ways as they should be but pop-ups will always possess "something" none of them can ever have.
Amazing to think they kicked off 3 decades back.

One wonders how many subsequent marques (including current NDs & going back SWMBO's Mk2.5) will be an object of car-park admiration & attraction in years ahead if they have not largely dissolved to recycled Zanussi tumble driers. A contemporary Elise gets a nod but an Elan Sprint gets a crowd. :wink:

I think that the MK2/2.5's will be regarded just as favourably as the MK1 is just now mate. A lot of classic car buyers often buy the mk2/series2 version of a car as the mk2 tends to be more refined although still looking almost the same as a MK1. Classic buyers see that as getting more for their money, a car they can maybe enjoy more? The Mk2/2.5 MX5 look almost the same as the mk1 but are deffo a lot more refined and better built (front chassis legs aside) than the mk1. The later NC/ND's though I think will be the ones that probably won't reach the dizzy heights of classic car/modern classic car. MK2's deffo will in my opinion. 8)

OldSpice wrote:Looking forward to a two-car glen blast this year. :wink:

Deffo mate. Hope to get the suspension sorted out soon, and a massive service done so she's good to go. Looking forward to the run, will be good fun! [/b] :D 8)
chillax

Postby chillax » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:30 pm

gm wrote:bloody hell - I didn't know working on modern cars was so dangerous :)

seriously though, I'm glad to hear you are alive and kicking, take it easy and make sure you are fully fit before breaking out the spanners again.

the little red car is looking lovely, especially in that East Lothian sunshine, you do have some cracking roads to play on down there.

lol Only dangerous when I'm the one wielding the spanner mate! :lol: Oh yes, Taking things nice and easy :D Thanks for the nice comments on Mindy, she does however look better in the pics than she actually is! But she will be perfect one day, just gonna take me a bit longer! You need to come down here sometime with Robin, like you say we are blessed with some really fantastic roads in East Lothian. 8)
chillax

Postby chillax » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Bought a full set of brand new standard shocks, springs and bump stops from MX5Heaven. Got my local garage to fit them as I'm still not well enough to carry out jobs like this yet.
So, got her back, new suspension fitted and they didn't have any probs with the fitting. Just had her out for a proper wee blast as didn't have time yesterday............and bloody hell, what a difference!

The massive vibration through the car when going over even the slightest bump is gone. There is still a little vibration, also noticed this at high speed on the motorway, so assuming the wheels deffo need balanced plus a 4 wheel alignment still need done.

But cornering, my god she's so much better! Could feel myself trusting her more and more with every corner. She's just so much more controlled. Now she doesn't bounce on the osr, which used to throw her out in corners. So much more fun to drive, but also so much nicer to drive normally.

Ordered up 4 new Goodyear efficient grip tyres for her (got a bargain on blackcircles, 4 fully fitted for £214 as they had a discount sale on) so these getting fitted on Thursday. Will then get her booked in for the geometry set up.

Got a pic of underneath with new shock/spring fitted but it's on my phone so will upload it later. Not much to see really, just a nice shiney shock bump stop and spring. Lol
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:53 am

I'd recommend ProGrip in Larbert for 4 wheel laser.
I do realise it's a bit of a trek, but any old excuse.
Could meet for a coffee while John works his wizadry.
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:55 pm

OldSpice wrote:I'd recommend ProGrip in Larbert for 4 wheel laser.
I do realise it's a bit of a trek, but any old excuse.
Could meet for a coffee while John works his wizadry.

Sounds like a plan Robin! I'll look up their number and give them a call mate, see what they're prices are. Might need to wait till next month now once you read below though! Lol

Well. She's got her full new set of Goodyear efficentGrip tyres fitted (more bloody money but got a cracking deal on them so couldn't say no!)..........and along with the new suspension....omg! So much more planted through the corners!! Still to get the geometry done but already transformed!
Now I'm not sure if this is because of the geometry still needing done, but she is still a bit crashy on roads that aren't Uber smooth. Feel the vibrations go through the car, which I think on a long trip, would be very tiring. Did they have a crashy (and I mean really crashy) ride from new? This feels like every single thing on the car is trying to rattle free, such are the vibrations/crashes. The vibration from the steering isn't that noticeable now (although again, going over rough/ holes roads it sends shocks through the wrists) so assuming the wheels now being balanced have sorted that. Just the vibrations/shocks through the chassis that but me. I don't remember the mk1's I drove all this years ago being like this?

Anyhoo, seems Mindy is on a mission to have my account constantly overdrawn! Went to pick Gayle up from work yesterday, and on way home, bloody brake pads went! So ordered up a new front and rear brake disc/brake pad package from MX5Parts today. My bank manager must be having me right now, but hey ho, it's only money! Lol
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:47 am

Assuming John does not hit any biggies with potentially seized/goosed adjusting cam bolts, budget £60/£70.00 for a full laser.
If he does...add £15.00-£20.00 a bolt roughly parts/labour.
I would have a couple of spare bolts ready. They are cheap used.
Andrew at Autolink in Castle Douglas is a good local source.
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Another box arrived for Mindy today, again from MX5Parts!

New brakes

Looking at her current discs, the fronts look to be quite new, so will still change them but keep the old ones as spare. The rears are also in pretty decent shape, no lips on the discs, so once I get em off will decide if these too can maybe be kept as spares. Could probably have got away with just ordering the pads front and rear, but thought I was always going to replace all thius for new stuff during the resto so might aswell just get them and fit them now. Least I know then it's been done, and also will feel better knowing that if Gayle's out in Mindy on her own, the brakes are all safe. Expecting the pads to be utterly gubbed going by the noise they were making! Once these are all fitted, going to put her in to get the brake fluid flushed and renewed, plus a service including all fluids changed.
chillax

Postby plumber » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi Dave,

Mindy looks great. Got to say I'm surprised how well the white wheels turned out, they look amazing. TBH I don't think they are mk1 but mk2 wheels so won't be original to the car but do look a treat. I have a set of these myself on my mk1 and you've got me thinking about getting them done in white. With regards to handling the NA chassis flexes a bit and was designed that way, you could try bracing it? Anyway keep the updates coming.
plumber

Postby chillax » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 pm

plumber wrote:Hi Dave,

Mindy looks great. Got to say I'm surprised how well the white wheels turned out, they look amazing. TBH I don't think they are mk1 but mk2 wheels so won't be original to the car but do look a treat. I have a set of these myself on my mk1 and you've got me thinking about getting them done in white. With regards to handling the NA chassis flexes a bit and was designed that way, you could try bracing it? Anyway keep the updates coming.

Thanks mate. Looking through the MK1 brochure, these alloys were indeed standard fair for the MK1 (if memory serves me right they're TSW's). Downside is they're 14's. Think the ones on the MK2 are 15's, although have seen the MK2 wearing 14" 5 spokes too so bit confusing! Lol
Will be going to get the geometry set up soon, and will try loosening off the bolts while car is on the ground and then tighten them back up incase it is under tension. Saz on the OC suggested the braces too mate so think that'll be s route to venture down.

If you have a photo of your mx5, I can Photoshop your wheels for you, so you get an idea what they would be like.
chillax

Postby drumtochty » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:42 pm

The MK2 1.6i and the 1.8i were delivered to the UK with 14" steel wheels fitted with 185 60 14 tyres. Windup windows, no ABS, no LSD and I think a manual aerial.

The 1.8iS had 15" x 6" wide alloys with 195 x 50 15 VR tyres. Electric Windows, ABS, LSD, electric aerial and some some other brightwork.

Special editions had different wheels but the majority of the standard cars got Mazda Branded Alloy Wheels fitted by the dealer or possibly at the import compound.

The 14" steel wheels come up on Ebay from time to time.

Very few Mk1 cars came with anything larger than 14" wheels as standard apart from the MK1 Special Editions.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby chillax » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:18 am

drumtochty wrote:The MK2 1.6i and the 1.8i were delivered to the UK with 14" steel wheels fitted with 185 60 14 tyres. Windup windows, no ABS, no LSD and I think a manual aerial.

The 1.8iS had 15" x 6" wide alloys with 195 x 50 15 VR tyres. Electric Windows, ABS, LSD, electric aerial and some some other brightwork.

Special editions had different wheels but the majority of the standard cars got Mazda Branded Alloy Wheels fitted by the dealer or possibly at the import compound.

The 14" steel wheels come up on Ebay from time to time.

Very few Mk1 cars came with anything larger than 14" wheels as standard apart from the MK1 Special Editions.

Nice one Eddie....the mystery is solved! :D Trust me to pick the poverty spec one! lol I normally pick the higher up the range cars when buying, but after viewing so many Mk1's full of rust, we decided that a decent shell is way better than high spec! :lol:
chillax

Postby bmv6197 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:47 am

MX5 wheels were always a bit of a curious mix - I find the easiest test of whether a particular wheel was standard OEM or an aftermarket/dealer/importer fit is to keep an eye out when you’re abroad (or if you don’t like travelling, snoop around on MX5 club websites in other countries).

For the Mk1, the only genuine Mazda alloy wheels offered were the 14” daisies fitted to 1.6 from 1989 until 1993, the 14” 7-spoke wheels fitted to 1.8s from 1993-1997, and the 15” 5 spoke “M-edition” wheels fitted to North American M edition cars and offered in other markets such as the U.K. on late model 1.8iS cars. And these latter two types of wheel were actually made for Mazda by Enkei. Some Japan-only special editions used either 14” or 15” BBS wheels, and M2 editions used Panasports but these weren’t Mazda-exclusive.

Aside from that, pretty much all other wheels are after-market or fitted by the importer. The U.K. had more of these than most other countries, so the 1.8i wheels that you have painted white, and editions like the Monza, Gleneagles, Merlot, Harvard etc all had other aftermarket wheels added after import (as Eddie says, they would have arrived wearing steelies!) as part of the package. Another reason the JDM special editions are generally more sought after, because the U.K. ones were usually just a special paint colour, a few trim bits, and some after-market wheels. Japanese market ones had LSDs, bracing, suspension mods and other upgrades. I had a VR Limited a few years back which was a lovely car, and had a long list of enhancements on top of the cosmetic elements such as paint, trim bits and leather.

In reality, it doesn’t matter as long as you like the wheels you have, and non-Mazda ones are unlikely to be much lower in quality (and given Mazda wheels often suffer lacquer bubbling you might be better off!)

B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery