Daves Red NA MX5......aka Mindy!

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

Re: Daves Red NA MX5......aka Mindy!

Postby OldSpice » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:42 am

Re "non flush" door pulls? TBH it's just age related mechanism wear & tear. My driver's side has been like that for as long as I can recall.
Suppose if you stripped it all out, you could make a difference...or get used bits and find.....they are as bad!
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Lol just my OCD Robin, wee things like that really bug me! :lol:
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:01 pm

OCD?
You know what's happening to mine soon!
Re door handles....looks like an easy cure if you are into rubber. :shock:
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Lol used to have a phrase when we were on the CB radio in our cars and on the move..........we were "burning rubber"! :lol: only rubber I've been into is tyre rubber! Lol

Oh yes, think ocd will be shown on a whole new level when your 5 is done mate!! 8)
chillax

Postby chillax » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Not a lot been happening in Mindy's world recently due to time of year. Did hwoever get the last wheel finally into lacquer just before Christmas and then went out yesterday and got it fitted so she's now sitting on her original alloys all refurbed. Another reason I was out in the garage yesterday........my mrs Gayle got me a wee present for Mindy for my Christmas! We both love the stainless sill steps/covers, so she found me an original set and got me those. We fitted them yesterday and they really make a big difference when you open the door. Looks so much better now she has some jewellery on! Do like a bit of bling! I'll get a photo posted soon.

Really wanted to take her out today for a drive, but the roads are still damp/wet around here. Gayle told me under no uncertain terms is Mindy venturing out onto the roads when there's still salt on them! Think she's more protective of this little car than even I am!! lol :D :lol:
chillax

Postby chillax » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:15 am

So, a little update! As some of you may already know, when I went to work on Carly (My 2008 MINI Cooper, replacing rear calipers then bleeding brakes) things did not go smoothly! After new calipers were fitted, Gayle and I were in the garage finishing off bleeding the brakes. And that's when it happened! I had a heart attack! I didn't have a clue what was happening but luckily Gayle spotted the signs and got me into the house then called for an ambulance. Wont go into too much details but they had a team waiting at the door pf the ERI who took me from ambulance straight into theatre. Two stents fitted then up to cardiac care unit. Both the team and the ambulance crew said if Gayle hadn't acted so quickly, I wouldn't be here now.

So obviously restoring Mindy has ground to a halt due to me having to recover and rebuild my strength/repair my old ticker. Well, not entirely ground to a halt! hehehe. I have changed her head unit again, after picking up a Pioneer DAB/USB head unit really cheap (like, £20!). Got it all fitted although it did have a fault with it's own wiring harness which I had to repair but all as good as new now. Had a spare brand new DAB ariel lying about in the garage so fitted that and all working perfectly. Love having the USB, as it means (like my other cars) no more CD's rattling about in the car. Will get photos of the new head unit when I remember, but here's a few of Mindy on a wee run yesterday down the coast road. Decided it was sunny, and I needed cheering up so off we tootled. Actually gave her quite a good blast, and even with the knackered suspension, totally enjoyed it. Flashed at a silver MK2 MX5 going through Port Seton but he blanked me! lol

And my fav photo of her so far..

Hope you like. Will be tackling replacing the suspension once I have my strength back, then engine service/belts along with draining the brake fluid and renewing it (hopefully no dramas this time round!!)
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:19 am

Very nice indeed. Good progress.
Keep it up.
Mine is something of a Pilgrim's Progress...... :(

In the not too distant future good solid Mk1's will be actively sought after, as indeed they are now but more so.
Later well developed cars are so much "better" in their different ways as they should be but pop-ups will always possess "something" none of them can ever have.
Amazing to think they kicked off 3 decades back.

One wonders how many subsequent marques (including current NDs & going back SWMBO's Mk2.5) will be an object of car-park admiration & attraction in years ahead if they have not largely dissolved to recycled Zanussi tumble driers. A contemporary Elise gets a nod but an Elan Sprint gets a crowd. :wink:
It'll pay you back one day Dave in a few ways.
Looking forward to a two-car glen blast this year. :wink:
OldSpice

Postby gm » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:13 pm

bloody hell - I didn't know working on modern cars was so dangerous :)

seriously though, I'm glad to hear you are alive and kicking, take it easy and make sure you are fully fit before breaking out the spanners again.

the little red car is looking lovely, especially in that East Lothian sunshine, you do have some cracking roads to play on down there.
gm

Postby chillax » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:17 pm

OldSpice wrote:Very nice indeed. Good progress.
Keep it up.
Mine is something of a Pilgrim's Progress...... :(

In the not too distant future good solid Mk1's will be actively sought after, as indeed they are now but more so.
Later well developed cars are so much "better" in their different ways as they should be but pop-ups will always possess "something" none of them can ever have.
Amazing to think they kicked off 3 decades back.

One wonders how many subsequent marques (including current NDs & going back SWMBO's Mk2.5) will be an object of car-park admiration & attraction in years ahead if they have not largely dissolved to recycled Zanussi tumble driers. A contemporary Elise gets a nod but an Elan Sprint gets a crowd. :wink:

I think that the MK2/2.5's will be regarded just as favourably as the MK1 is just now mate. A lot of classic car buyers often buy the mk2/series2 version of a car as the mk2 tends to be more refined although still looking almost the same as a MK1. Classic buyers see that as getting more for their money, a car they can maybe enjoy more? The Mk2/2.5 MX5 look almost the same as the mk1 but are deffo a lot more refined and better built (front chassis legs aside) than the mk1. The later NC/ND's though I think will be the ones that probably won't reach the dizzy heights of classic car/modern classic car. MK2's deffo will in my opinion. 8)

OldSpice wrote:Looking forward to a two-car glen blast this year. :wink:

Deffo mate. Hope to get the suspension sorted out soon, and a massive service done so she's good to go. Looking forward to the run, will be good fun! [/b] :D 8)
chillax

Postby chillax » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:30 pm

gm wrote:bloody hell - I didn't know working on modern cars was so dangerous :)

seriously though, I'm glad to hear you are alive and kicking, take it easy and make sure you are fully fit before breaking out the spanners again.

the little red car is looking lovely, especially in that East Lothian sunshine, you do have some cracking roads to play on down there.

lol Only dangerous when I'm the one wielding the spanner mate! :lol: Oh yes, Taking things nice and easy :D Thanks for the nice comments on Mindy, she does however look better in the pics than she actually is! But she will be perfect one day, just gonna take me a bit longer! You need to come down here sometime with Robin, like you say we are blessed with some really fantastic roads in East Lothian. 8)
chillax

Previous

Return to Photo Gallery